Positive Covid 10 days out

Woodfaerie

Has anyone tested positive within a few weeks from your sail date but got a negative test for your 48 hour test and was allowed to board without issue?  (being fully vaccinated and having that documentation as well) 

Our scenario:  DD (fully vaccinated)  tested positive on  what will be 11 days prior to sail date.  She took another test what will be 7 days from sail date and is negative. She remains in quarantine since her positive.  I was tested and am negative  (her darling momma and traveling companion)  We will be taking the 48 hour covid tests  in 3 days.

Million dollar question ( I have combed through all the rules, regulations, protocols,  and everything in between I feel) Does a positive covid 14 days or less cause problems with being allowed to board if our 48 hour test is negative and  we are fully vaccinated?    Man oh man, do we need a vacation. This is stressful!

I have no clue what Carnival will say/do. I do know that the DHHS told me when I had covid that I had to quarantine for 10 days. After that, I was fine to go about my every day life with no questions as long as I didn't have any symptoms. If the questionnaire asks if you have had covid or been in close contact with someone that has or had covid in the last 14-days, you have to answer yes. 

DD has had covid within 14-days of sailing, vaccinated, and tested negative. I think she is OK with Carnival.

However, as parents in the same household, your quarantine is 14-days from when she tested positive. Your DHHS should have told you that. You will have to answer YES to the question of being in contact with someone that tested positive. The real question is how many days has it been for you? If it hasn't been 14-days, I don't think you are permitted to travel per DHHS/CDC guidelines

I think this link to the CDC guidance answers the question.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/when-to-delay-travel.html

See Scenario 3 which is your exact situation I think. The way I interpret that statement is that you are good to go if you are vaccinated and test negative.

Edited by BoozinCroozin

In the FAQ from carnival it says that if you test positive within 14 days of sailing you're supposed to call to reschedule.  

"What happens if I have a positive COVID-19 test within 14 days of sailing?

Please do not go to the cruise terminal if you have any symptoms of, or have recently tested positive for, COVID-19. Call 1-800-314-9859 to cancel your cruise. You will receive a future cruise credit. For more information on symptoms of COVID-19, please visit the CDC's website ."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, furf_n_slo said:

In the FAQ from carnival it says that if you test positive within 14 days of sailing you're supposed to call to reschedule.  

Please do not go to the cruise terminal if you have any symptoms of, or have recently tested positive for, COVID-19. Call 1-800-314-9859 to cancel your cruise. You will receive a future cruise credit. For more information on symptoms of COVID-19, please visit the CDC's website ."

I am trying to find that paragraph because I need to print it out. 

Edit: found it, thank you.

Edited by Woodfaerie

This is news is devastating. We are all set to fly down on Friday with what we imagined to be negative 48 hour tests as we both have recent negatives since DD got her positive.  In addition, the 8 people she was around, they all got tested. All were negative.  😭

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodfaerie said:

Has anyone tested positive within a few weeks from your sail date but got a negative test for your 48 hour test and was allowed to board without issue?  (being fully vaccinated and having that documentation as well) 

Our scenario:  DD (fully vaccinated)  tested positive on  what will be 11 days prior to sail date.  She took another test what will be 7 days from sail date and is negative. She remains in quarantine since her positive.  I was tested and am negative  (her darling momma and traveling companion)  We will be taking the 48 hour covid tests  in 3 days.

Million dollar question ( I have combed through all the rules, regulations, protocols,  and everything in between I feel) Does a positive covid 14 days or less cause problems with being allowed to board if our 48 hour test is negative and  we are fully vaccinated?    Man oh man, do we need a vacation. This is stressful!

How would they know? If I tested positive before then tested negative, bet your azz id still be going lol

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, doctork said:

Maybe I am missing something.  Why would one test for Covid 11 days prior to a cruise?  I thought the tests needed to be done within 48 - 72 hours prior to sail.

I suspect she was tested as a contact of another positive.  EM

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shakatime said:

How would they know? If I tested positive before then tested negative, bet your azz id still be going lol

Exactly.  Given that there are people who are infected but asymptomatic, there are likely to be some boarding the ship with negative test today or within the last 2 or 3 days, but happened to be positive 11 days or 13 days ago but didn't know it because they weren't testing daily. 

Unless you were sick with Covid symptoms at the time of the test, or had it done because of recent exposure to a known case, there is the possibility that "extra test" was a false positive.  Unless people are tested daily for the 14 days prior to boarding, one can't be sure that no such passengers have boarded.

As a result, the various authorities seems to agree that a negative test within 2 - 3 days prior to boarding (with or without full vaccination) is about as good as they can get to be as safe as possible.

• Like 3

Just now, Essiesmom said:

I suspect she was tested as a contact of another positive.  EM

Thanks, that makes sense.  Also, some people are tested regularly as part of their job (nursing home employees, hospital staff, etc) - then you would be aware of the risk you could put the kibosh on your cruise unless you isolate for 14 days prior.

2 hours ago, doctork said:

Maybe I am missing something.  Why would one test for Covid 11 days prior to a cruise?  I thought the tests needed to be done within 48 - 72 hours prior to sail.

She was tested 11 days prior because an employee at her job tested positive thereby causing a potential exposure. Its a medical office. They requested all employees get tested.

13 minutes ago, DANCING GRANDMOMMY said:

I understand that there are often false positives. If you take the test right after that one and it is negative then is that considered having a false positive?

That is one of the many questions. I don't think it will matter because CCL or any line for that matter would be opening up Pandora's box questioning that one.

7 hours ago, furf_n_slo said:

That is interesting in the FAQ. It contradicts what the CDC states on their website. Cruise lines by all means can make rules different than the CDC. Since this is Carnival's rule, then you need to contact them as stated. 

7 hours ago, Shakatime said:

There is a little contract requirement in the paperwork that if you lie on the questionnaire. I would assume the cruise lines can send a manifest to DHHS for review before every sailing. DHHS cannot reveal medical information but they 100% can share data that a passenger on the manifest has tested positive in the last XX days. Since your daughter had a positive test, that information is contained with DHHS. Believe me, I was called every day that I had covid to answer questions. I was even told if I don't answer that someone would come to the home to ask the questions and verify I am quarantining. I had 5 missed calls from DHHS one day, I called back and explained I was sleeping. They said I was scheduled for a visit that afternoon if I hadn't called back. It is possible that practice was the approach. I had covid back in October, so kind of early in it all.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

You know, I have trouble remembering everything that happened last week, 10 days ago is like a blur.  I am also pretty bad at calendar math.  That test was definitely 2 weeks ago... I'm sure of it.

You may want to read your Cruise Contract with that statement. It clearly states that Carnival at it's sole discretion can disembark or refuse re-boarding of a passenger. Insurance will not cover expenses for a customer that lied to the cruise line. Carnival can take civil action for any losses due to someone lying on the health questionnaire. So, don't take lightly answering those questions.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

You know, I have trouble remembering everything that happened last week, 10 days ago is like a blur.  I am also pretty bad at calendar math.  That test was definitely 2 weeks ago... I'm sure of it.

Suppose it was the negative test that was wrong, not the positive one.  Do you really want to be the person on a ship with thousands of other people, still carrying (and spreading) the virus?  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

You may want to read your Cruise Contract with that statement. It clearly states that Carnival at it's sole discretion can disembark or refuse re-boarding of a passenger. Insurance will not cover expenses for a customer that lied to the cruise line. Carnival can take civil action for any losses due to someone lying on the health questionnaire. So, don't take lightly answering those questions.

I'm going to 100% agree with Boozin.  There's a record out there of a positive Covid test and blatantly and knowingly lying on the Health Questionnaire opens one up to serious and meaningful sanctions, in my mind deservedly so.  This isn't like 13 days ago someone had allergy sniffles and didn't get tested.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Sounds like you screwed yourself by getting tested. 

An asymptomatic COVID-infected person could fail the test within 2 weeks, but there is no process that would catch this, except for a voluntary test.

She was tested because she works in a medical office and a coworkers husband was postive. So she did the right thing by getting tested as was requested by management.

• Like 1

So far, the only question I've been asked is if I am full vaccinated per WHO and CDC guidelines 14 days before by cruise. Aside from that, we only need to provide a negative test within 2 days of our sail date.

Are you saying there are now additional questions being asked that we should be aware of? I'm really not sure why Carnival would know about a positive result 11 days ago unless you told them. Seems like everyone is negative now and should be fine to board.

Edited by Keys2Heaven
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Keys2Heaven said:

So far, the only question I've been asked is if I am full vaccinated per WHO and CDC guidelines 14 days before by cruise. Aside from that, we only need to provide a negative test within 2 days of our sail date.

Are you saying there are now additional questions being asked that we should be aware of? I'm really not sure why Carnival would know about a positive result 11 days ago unless you told them. Seems like everyone is negative now and should be fine to board.

Theres a health questionairre that you will have to complete online before your sail date. I believe its 72 hrs prior to sail date. There is a question on that regarding testing positive/being around someone that tested positive in the last 14 days.

• Like 1