Positive Covid 10 days out

Woodfaerie

2 minutes ago, CruisinMama2003 said:

I really hope some kind of exception can be made for your situation, esp with 2 negative tests over a weeks time. Best of luck to you 🤞

Thank you Cruisin. I sure hope there is something on that questionnaire about negative tests after a positive.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JaniceB said:

They might just have you get checked by Dr before boarding.  I thought I read that happened to someone in a thread.

Your right, i read that as well. In 2 separate threads. One answered "yes" to the question about recent travel to another country (a cruise). The other one was a family that showed up with neg results, was tested at the pier (IIRC it was in Seattle, NCL) and the daughter (and i believe a SIL?) tested positive! Other 2 family members were questioned by medical and were allowed to board. 

3 minutes ago, CruisinMama2003 said:

Your right, i read that as well. In 2 separate threads. One answered "yes" to the question about recent travel to another country (a cruise). The other one was a family that showed up with neg results, was tested at the pier (IIRC it was in Seattle, NCL) and the daughter (and i believe a SIL?) tested positive! Other 2 family members were questioned by medical and were allowed to board. 

These things give me some hope!  I wish that darn questionnaire would hurry up and get into my to do list!  We are chomping at the bit to fill it out and get it submitted.  UGH. 

1 hour ago, CruisinMama2003 said:

Thanks for refreshing my memory.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

There is a little contract requirement in the paperwork that if you lie on the questionnaire. I would assume the cruise lines can send a manifest to DHHS for review before every sailing. DHHS cannot reveal medical information but they 100% can share data that a passenger on the manifest has tested positive in the last XX days. Since your daughter had a positive test, that information is contained with DHHS. Believe me, I was called every day that I had covid to answer questions. I was even told if I don't answer that someone would come to the home to ask the questions and verify I am quarantining. I had 5 missed calls from DHHS one day, I called back and explained I was sleeping. They said I was scheduled for a visit that afternoon if I hadn't called back. It is possible that practice was the approach. I had covid back in October, so kind of early in it all.

I'm confused by this - you had someone call you every single day that you had covid to answer questions? When I had covid, CVS called me on the way home from my test and said call a doctor if you get bad symptoms, quarantine for 10 days and good luck. No one ever contacted me again.

Also, if your contact number was cell only then how would they know where you were when answering the phone - you wouldn't have to be home. I have honestly never heard of anyone who had follow-up like this.

SAD AND FINAL RESULT:  I received my questionnaire. Me and DD sat down to complete it, me 1st. All questions were a NO with the exception of one: have I been exposed to anyone in the last 14 days who tested positive for covid. I answered yes. Clicked on continue to do hers.

That's where it ended.  Big red exclamation point in the middle of the page. I could not go any further. Bottom line, it mattered not that we have both been tested negative since her positive last week. Always a symptomatic.  Thank you for your support and kind words to all who responded to what appeared as a desperate information seeking post. Cos it was exactly that. 

Attention: Please do not go to the cruise terminal if you have any symptoms of, or have recently tested positive for COVID-19. Call 1-800-314-9859 to cancel your cruise. You will receive a future cruise credit. For more information on symptoms of COVID-19, please visit cdc.gov.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Woodfaerie said:

SAD AND FINAL RESULT:  I received my questionnaire. Me and DD sat down to complete it, me 1st. All questions were a NO with the exception of one: have I been exposed to anyone in the last 14 days who tested positive for covid. I answered yes. Clicked on continue to do hers.

That's where it ended.  Big red exclamation point in the middle of the page. I could not go any further. Bottom line, it mattered not that we have both been tested negative since her positive last week. Always a symptomatic.  Thank you for your support and kind words to all who responded to what appeared as a desperate information seeking post. Cos it was exactly that. 

Attention: Please do not go to the cruise terminal if you have any symptoms of, or have recently tested positive for COVID-19. Call 1-800-314-9859 to cancel your cruise. You will receive a future cruise credit. For more information on symptoms of COVID-19, please visit cdc.gov.

😔 ugh!!!! I hope yall are able to book another one soon! Also, thank you for sharing your situation and outcome with us. 

Safe travels wherever your next cruise takes you 🙂

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CruisinMama2003 said:

😔 ugh!!!! I hope yall are able to book another one soon! Also, thank you for sharing your situation and outcome with us. 

Safe travels wherever your next cruise takes you 🙂

Thank you Mama. I will in fact continue to cruise. We will see how long it takes for me to get my FCC so I can book another one. I am going to sit on the pitty pot for awhile now!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Woodfaerie said:

This should have been expected. Thank you for doing the honorable thing and answering truthfully. When the time comes, I hope you have a lovely cruise.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ScottsSweetie said:

I'm confused by this - you had someone call you every single day that you had covid to answer questions? When I had covid, CVS called me on the way home from my test and said call a doctor if you get bad symptoms, quarantine for 10 days and good luck. No one ever contacted me again.

Also, if your contact number was cell only then how would they know where you were when answering the phone - you wouldn't have to be home. I have honestly never heard of anyone who had follow-up like this.

I guess the county I live in has/had a different practice with covid. They were gathering information, general questions. They were making sure people stayed quarantined and not leaving their home with it once positive. As for verifying if you were home, they couldn't exactly do it. But, if they did a home check and you weren't there or at a doctor, you could be fined.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woodfaerie said:

So sorry to hear this. It has to be the biggest let down in the world. This is my biggest fear leading up to our cruise as well. I applaud you for doing the right thing regardless of what the outcome may have been. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Woodfaerie said:

Really a shame that there is no follow up questions that allow you to show the several later negative tests. And I guess the truly heroic doctors and nurses working the front lines against the pandemic would all be summarily denied as they would also have to answer yes despite all the precautions they take and testing constant testing I am sure they are subject.

Wishing you the best of luck in your future cruise sailings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, FTLCruiseGal said:

Here is the form.

Thanks for sharing. I love the vague question of close contact in the last 10 days. The CDC defines it as 6-feet for 15 minutes combined over a 2 day period. 99.9% of the people don't know other people had/have covid. In the OP's case, she is part of the 00.1% unfortunately. My wife has blocked off her room at school where no student can come within 10 feet of her desk. She teaches from that far away to avoid having to answer that question. My office has the 6' of separation for all employees. I ride a bus to work and it is sectioned off for 6' apart. Our daughter could be the only one. However, schools cannot disclose the student's name, just that there was a case in the school. No way to ever even verify or consider it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JaniceB said:

Awe, thanks for letting us know.  Also, if you can let us know if you had to stay on hold for hours to get a representative.

I will post a follow up as to what happens when I call to cancel.  I know that yesterdays phone call with a Carnival rep was a disaster.  I am a pretty chill person but when you speak with someone who has no knowledge whatsoever of their covid protocols other than the 48 hour test??

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Woodfaerie said:

So sorry that you will not be able to cruise, but what happened at that point? Did you have to call them to get your future cruise credit? Was the cruise automatically cancelled?  Edit: Sorry, read further after this, thanks for following up. 

Edited by asalligo

Final Follow Up:   (A  summary of events)

Traveling companion DD tested positive what will be 11 days out from sailing date. Based on swab date and exposure window, she caught it somewhere around 14-15 days before sailing.   Best guess she caught it from a coworker whose husband was positive and got very sick. This co-worker, a nurse, is non vaccinated and believes covid to be a governmental hoax. This nurse was constantly reminded to follow the mask protocol but fought it every step of the way to the point of being written up by management. 

DD  adhered to the request of management to get tested.  This could not be forced but suggested.  DD being the cool person she is took the test. Came out positive. She was 100% asymptomatic.  Potential exposure nurse at work refused testing, made to stay home for 14 days.  DD had to stay home this past week  with no pay or use up her vacation time.  (because the company is over 100 employees, they do not qualify for that government program that will pay DD for staying home due to covid)  I and our house members tested negative as did DD 5 days after her positive. 8 persons she was around all got rapid tests, all negative.  We were denied boarding as we failed the 72 hour questionnaire.  I was exposed and she had a positive with a test date less than 14 days out. 

Cancellation process:  I called the number posted in the immediate message I received upon failing the 72 hour questionnaire.  It turned out to be the generic customer service number, not a special designated phone number for, you know, people like me that fell victim to covid in spite of doing everything absolutely right. (no bitterness there)

Thank goodness I got a CSR who knew what she was doing.  I had all my ducks lined up in a row. Had both a printed and PDF copy of DD document showing she was positive ready to send in a moments notice. I even had another cruise picked out just in case I could rebook something then and there. (what a dreamer I am)  I had read somewhere in the thousands of pages on CCL website that proof of positive test is needed when cancelling for covid.  

Cancellation/ rebooking went as smooth as butter. No proof needed . I was able to rebook for the end of November same ship, same cruise but Bimini got bumped and replaced with Grand Turk (Hooray!! after this fiasco, I may even join in on a twerking contest at Margaritaville)  I had to downgrade from an ocean view to an inside at a cost of $140 more.  It's a spa room so at least we can go into that special little pool with the jets that back in the day, was open to everyone and one of the best kept secrets. Excursions had to be refunded so I will get gift cards mailed to me  as that's how I paid.  Room purchases of water were transferred to new booking.

We did the ethical thing, being honest with questionnaires every step of the way. (keeping in mind the CSR I spoke with to try and get details on whether negative tests would help us out and she said that "no one will know about your positive test")

I am hoping that Karma will work in my favor. Perhaps I will be swimming  in the aft adult pool with my DD, sun setting, sound of the wake, feeling relaxed floating in the pool with a Miami Vice (compliments of jsglow) and feel something under my foot. I will grab it with my toes and lo and behold, it will be a $500 poker chip that someone lost and it found its way into the bottom of the pool just waiting for me to step on.  

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

• Like 10

You know what would be nice in these circumstances?  If Carnival would just bump to to an equivalent cruise without repricing.

'Wood, we're so sorry you can't go on this one, but we can immediately move you to the same cruise and the same cabin category in 6 weeks. See if you can arrange flights. Use special code XYZ when you re-book'. 

• Like 4