Replacement Mariner Pins

ski ww

If you cannot get another pin from the Mariner Society come back here and post and we will try and locate ours and give you one.  We have no use for cruise line Pins, Medallions, etc. and that stuff (if we still have it) gets tossed into a junk drawer.   I guess our heirs will either sell them on e-bay or toss them in the trash.

Just a thought but the topic that was just below this on the blog was about if HAL will survive.  If HAL were to go out of business the Pins might eventually have some value.  Someplace (probably the same place that has our HAL Pins) I have an Orient Lines Pin (with a fake diamond) which might have some value if I put it on e-bay.  

Hank

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

If you cannot get another pin from the Mariner Society come back here and post and we will try and locate ours and give you one.  We have no use for cruise line Pins, Medallions, etc. and that stuff (if we still have it) gets tossed into a junk drawer.   I guess our heirs will either sell them on e-bay or toss them in the trash.

Just a thought but the topic that was just below this on the blog was about if HAL will survive.  If HAL were to go out of business the Pins might eventually have some value.  Someplace (probably the same place that has our HAL Pins) I have an Orient Lines Pin (with a fake diamond) which might have some value if I put it on e-bay.  

Hank

We throw our pins and medallions away.

2 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I just had DW take a look and we did find 3 (have no idea why we have 3) 4 Star Pins.  I think the 5 Star ended up in the trash along with all the medallions.  The only cruise Pin I wish I could find is an old Orient Lines pin (with a fake diamond) that might have some value to collectors.

Hank

57 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

As a collector of maritime artifacts, not a wise thing to have done.  Items that I collected at no or little cost to me years ago now have a dollar value that I would never had expected.  

46 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

As a collector of maritime artifacts, not a wise thing to have done.  Items that I collected at no or little cost to me years ago now have a dollar value that I would never had expected.  

I can’t see someone valuing the mariner pins.  Sorry if I am missing the boat.  There have to a gazillion 4 and 5* pins out there in the world.

13 hours ago, ski ww said:

How do I get a replacement for lost or damaged Mariner Pin?

Which one do you need Allan?  4 or 5*?

If you have no luck with the Mariner society I can see if I can dig up mine.  I never wear it.  

13 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Anyone have  two Platinum pins they don't want? A few years ago we missed ours by a few months when HAL discontinued those ones.  

I miss having one of those, too. It's the only pin I don't have (of the ones I earned). 

7 hours ago, KirkNC said:

We don’t ask for them, they appear on our bed.

Then give them back! There is no need to throw them away. They cost money to produce (admittedly, not much, but it adds up), and just end up in trash someplace. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Then give them back! There is no need to throw them away. They cost money to produce (admittedly, not much, but it adds up), and just end up in trash someplace. 

We have tried to give them to our room steward but he did not want them.  Quite frankly they are ours to do with what we please.

59 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

We have tried to give them to our room steward but he did not want them.  Quite frankly they are ours to do with what we please.

They are indeed yours to do with what you please - but if I were in that situation, I would just drop them off at the Front Desk and say thanks but no thanks rather than add to the landfill.  

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, kazu said:

They are indeed yours to do with what you please - but if I were in that situation, I would just drop them off at the Front Desk and say thanks but no thanks rather than add to the landfill.  

I think we have beat this horse enough.

On 9/21/2021 at 7:51 PM, kazu said:

I can’t see someone valuing the mariner pins.  Sorry if I am missing the boat.  There have to a gazillion 4 and 5* pins out there in the world.

Very true.  But, what seems insignificant and of no value today, when such an item becomes hard to obtain (for whatever reason it is desired), one would be surprised what it would sell for.

Have you explored any of the web sites of the dealers of maritime artifacts?  

21 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Very true.  But, what seems insignificant and of no value today, when such an item becomes hard to obtain (for whatever reason it is desired), one would be surprised what it would sell for.

Have you explored any of the web sites of the dealers of maritime artifacts?  

Well I  know what the HAL tiles go for.  

I doubt Mariner pins will be that hard to come by going by the number of HAL tiles and pins I see up for sale 😉  JMO of course.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, kazu said:

Well I  know what the HAL tiles go for.  

I doubt Mariner pins will be that hard to come by going by the number of HAL tiles and pins I see up for sale 😉  JMO of course.

Stuff, such as tiles and pins, will become lost over time.  Why would someone(s) want such stuff in the future?  I don't know.  But they (and I do).   If you would visit the web sites of some maritime artifact dealers and view the items from vessels of many, many years ago that are for sale, you might be surprised at what some will pay for such artifacts.  

Just as an example:  I once owned a multi-page black/white photo interior brochure of the R.M.S. Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth.  I purchased it at the pier after a sailing of the Queen Mary having been a visitor before sailing.  It cost 50 cents.  I have seen copies of this same item listed for as much as $25.00.  

I have told the one who will be the Executor of my Estate that if he starts throwing out all of my memorabilia, he will be throwing out items that have some monetary value.  That will reduce the value of my Estate.  It will reduce his family's share of my Estate.  

13 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have told the one who will be the Executor of my Estate that if he starts throwing out all of my memorabilia, he will be throwing out items that have some monetary value.  That will reduce the value of my Estate.  It will reduce his family's share of my Estate.  

I might be a bit forthright here - but that’s a lot of work for the executor of the estate.  To make $25 here and there?  If you think it’s so valuable I suggest you sell it now and put the money in your estate and not put the burden on your executor.  It’s not a fair burden IMO - they have enough to do.

Sorry but my past vocation makes me speak out on this.  Executors are there to settle your estate.  What hasn’t been disposed of is usually done in the easiest quickest way to settle the estate and benefit the heirs.

Most heirs don’t want it dragging on for years while they try to sell “stuff” here and there and most executors don’t want the job nor are they paid for doing it.  Many do it for free as family and those that are reimbursed get a nominal amount for the time and work involved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

It’s not a fair burden IMO - they have enough to do.

I do not agree. My Executor knows what I expect of him.  I have items in my collection that far exceed $25.  If such is discarded, I will never know, obviously.  But, it will be a loss to his family and to the rest of my primary Estate beneficiary.  

Is the job of an Executor easy to do?  No.  Does it pay well?  I never took any money from my parents' Estates.  Doing so would have deprived the heirs of their Estates.  

What does make the job of an Executor helpful is to hire an attorney who is experienced in handling such affairs and not get involved with the intricate details of such Estates.  From my Brother's and my experience in dealing with our parents Estate when I was the Executor, whatever is paid is worth every penny for such professional help.