number of formal nights

kevboy

10 hours ago, Bazrat said:

I have found especially on this site the more cruises some people have done with p&o the more they wish there to be less formal nights, we being new to cruising the more the merrier because it’s not obligatory to go to them, we too have 4 formal nights coming up beloved got her dress’s me a new suit so happy.

Not all the OF’s want less. This OF likes them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

On longer cruises, each time a formal night rolls round, I do get to thinking ‘oh no, not another one’.

Formal nights are no longer an important part of our cruise experience. We adhere to the dress code, but our preference is for smart casual nights now. I hope this doesn’t make me ‘dumb’ ! 

No it doesn’t make you dumb it’s your opinion, like I mentioned in a earlier post the more seasoned cruisers now find it a bit dull for a better word, but for the newer cruisers it’s an experience I hope we don’t lose

5 hours ago, zap99 said:

How many formal nights don't bother us in the slightest. 0, or 4 we don't care. I think it is best say that we put up with them, rather than look forward to them. Celebrity have 0 formal nights and the cruise doesn't seem ' dumbed down '.

Exactly how I feel! 

• Like 1

Hi everone. New to this forum, but old to the World. Just a thought on formal nights. We started cruising back in 2002 and when we take our next one it will be our 17th. Isn't that the topic of conversation when you first meet at dinner on the first night ? We love formal nights, when I took my first cruise I hired a dinner suit just in case we didn't like cruising. I now have three dinner suits, two with black jackets and one with white. But I accept that many who cruise want nothing to do with formal nights. That's their choice. I do believe that many of P&O's questionaires were phrased to do away with formal nights and as some have said what they have on Iona is a fudge. Also Freedom dining has been pushed and as has been seen whereas if a ship had three restuarants two would be Club and one Freedom now it's two Freedom and one Club. Whereas P&O have gone the route of Speciality Dining with a cover charge and drinks, coffee and ice cream packages some just charge more and include everything. But I for one don't drink the best part of £40 a day, making it nearly £80 for me and the other half. Sadly I'm of an age where I don't want razzamatazz, just a nice drink when I want it, food when I want it, but at a set time, with the exception of lunch. A bit of footy, that's on the Tv, not under the table and some nice entertainment, ports of call and a comfy bed at night.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Hi everone. New to this forum, but old to the World. Just a thought on formal nights. We started cruising back in 2002 and when we take our next one it will be our 17th. Isn't that the topic of conversation when you first meet at dinner on the first night ? We love formal nights, when I took my first cruise I hired a dinner suit just in case we didn't like cruising. I now have three dinner suits, two with black jackets and one with white. But I accept that many who cruise want nothing to do with formal nights. That's their choice. I do believe that many of P&O's questionaires were phrased to do away with formal nights and as some have said what they have on Iona is a fudge. Also Freedom dining has been pushed and as has been seen whereas if a ship had three restuarants two would be Club and one Freedom now it's two Freedom and one Club. Whereas P&O have gone the route of Speciality Dining with a cover charge and drinks, coffee and ice cream packages some just charge more and include everything. But I for one don't drink the best part of £40 a day, making it nearly £80 for me and the other half. Sadly I'm of an age where I don't want razzamatazz, just a nice drink when I want it, food when I want it, but at a set time, with the exception of lunch. A bit of footy, that's on the Tv, not under the table and some nice entertainment, ports of call and a comfy bed at night.

That's my perfect cruise, minus the footie though.   Sorry🙁.

Avril

• Like 1

I can’t say that I noticed that the phrasing used in the questionnaires was geared towards doing away with formal. They like to use sliding scales and     whereas I might slide it to one extreme, it would just as easy for someone who loves formal to slide it to the other extreme. 

8 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Where do you find out how many there will be? 
don’t have a cruise till November 22 on iona. Is it 2 in 14?

Well Vamps, I would think that if you get your Goth costumes out of the loft and wear them every night, nobody would BAT an eyelid.🦇🤣

• Haha 6

13 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Where do you find out how many there will be? 
don’t have a cruise till November 22 on iona. Is it 2 in 14?

At present it is 2 in 14 days, or 1 on a 7 night cruise. But only on Iona at the moment, the other ships remain at 2 every 7 night cruise.

Edited by terrierjohn

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

I like my footy but don't want to sit in watching it when on a cruise thanks 😀

Football is extremely close to my heart so looking forward to seeing wolves v Leeds onboard, we have watched the Wolves in Florida Minorca and a few other countries couldn’t miss my footy 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Red Ray said:

Formal nights are an integral part of the cruise experience for us, so disappointed there are only 2 on the Iona cruise tomorrow. We are doing a 28 nighter on Azura next year so looking forward to 8 formals.

If we didn’t want to do formal nights there are other cruise lines we could go on, but we choose pando as part of the experience 

• Like 5

We enjoy formal nights,  but the novelty can wear off, especially,  as to all intents and purposes formal nights are no different to any other night in terms of food, entertainment etc. 

So, personally, our preference would be 3 on a 14 night cruise,  and thereafter,  1 per 7 days. So 4 on a 21 night cruise,  5 on a 28 night cruise etc.

Formal nights,  in my eyes,  are meant to be a little bit different.  By constantly squeezing two formal nights into every seven days,  the "exclusivity " is lost.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We enjoy formal nights,  but the novelty can wear off, especially,  as to all intents and purposes formal nights are no different to any other night in terms of food, entertainment etc. 

So, personally, our preference would be 3 on a 14 night cruise,  and thereafter,  1 per 7 days. So 4 on a 21 night cruise,  5 on a 28 night cruise etc.

Formal nights,  in my eyes,  are meant to be a little bit different.  By constantly squeezing two formal nights into every seven days,  the "exclusivity " is lost.

That would be fine with me. I’m not really a fan of formal nights ‘just for the sake of it’.

In 2013, we did a 24 night cruise on Azura. There were 7 or 8 formal nights, and then a similar amount of semi formal nights. To be honest, I found it a bit excessive. But it was still a great cruise, and remains one of my favourites. 

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

That would be fine with me. I’m not really a fan of formal nights ‘just for the sake of it’.

In 2013, we did a 24 night cruise on Azura. There were 7 or 8 formal nights, and then a similar amount of semi formal nights. To be honest, I found it a bit excessive. But it was still a great cruise, and remains one of my favourites. 

At least P&O gave got rid of semi-formal nights. Thank goodness for that !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zap99 said:

Well Vamps, I would think that if you get your Goth costumes out of the loft and wear them every night, nobody would BAT an eyelid.🦇🤣

hehehe 

but then everyone would know it’s me. Got to keep it on the down low. 
But yes black dresses only for me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, davecttr said:

Ah! the memories of those semi formals when the dining room resembled a tramps convention. It looked more elegant on an evening casual night.

Celebrity's ' Resort Casual ' confused me a bit. When I'm in a resort in a couple of weeks my resort casual will be swim shorts and flip flops.

• Haha 4

On 9/24/2021 at 11:43 PM, wowzz said:

Vamps  - just wanted to say "welcome back "

Everything OK ?

hi. Yes all good. Not a brilliant 18months but things are on the up we hope. 

just having a look at iona now that the videos on YouTube are out. Need something to look forward to. 

glad to see all the regulars are still here 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

hi. Yes all good. Not a brilliant 18months but things are on the up we hope. 

just having a look at iona now that the videos on YouTube are out. Need something to look forward to. 

glad to see all the regulars are still here 

Well now your posting again Vamps, another regular is back😉.

I'm pleased things are looking better for you, it has certainly been rough, but it's good to see you cruise hunting again.

Avril

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Well now your posting again Vamps, another regular is back😉.

I'm pleased things are looking better for you, it has certainly been rough, but it's good to see you cruise hunting again.

Avril

hi avril how are you and frank? 
yes been lurking but not posting. Little black cloud unfortunately but I’m bingeing on iona YouTube it’s making me feel better