Crystal announces Vaccine Requirement through 2022

SFO Peter

20 minutes ago, SFO PETER said:

Crystal announced fleetwide vaccine requirement through all of 2022.   We are wondering if other cruise lines will follow.

Perhaps HAL can sail separate vaccinated from unvaccinated ships.

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 8.15.47 PM

Brilliant Idea. Let's put the entire crew at risk.

• Like 5

I don`t see how it could be any other way. Unless you want to play Russian Roulette with the crew (and everyone else`s) health.

HAL have been doing a great job in keeping everyone safe and operating within the regulations of, not only different countries, but the way those countries require different regulations for various nationalities... It must be an everchanging nightmare to organize but in so doing they are slowly building up our confidence in their ability to sail safely therefore to allow non vaccinated people on board now would be a very retrograde step in my opinion.

• Like 2

Well, if they allow non-vax onboard, we will not be going on a cruise.  That is the bottom line for us.  And we don't have the budget for these other cruise lines with what we consider extremely high prices for what you get, so please, HAL, vax. only.

PLUS, we all need to put the fact that we want HAL to continue requiring vax request on our after-cruise comments; I confess that I think we didn't do that, darn it.

• Like 1

Smart.   

It is these types of  decisions that separate industry leaders from followers/also rans.

Being at the back of the pack is seldom good from a PR perspective.   Or  good for the bottom line.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

I see Crystal’s wording on the notice is ‘ the first major cruise line to extend its COVID-19 mandate through 2022’. It’s not ‘ the only major cruise line to extend its COVID-19 mandate through 2022’. 
That seems to indicate they expect everyone else will extend as well, and are just the first to announce it.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I see Crystal’s wording on the notice is ‘ the first major cruise line to extend its COVID-19 mandate through 2022’. It’s not ‘ the only major cruise line to extend its COVID-19 mandate through 2022’. 
That seems to indicate they expect everyone else will extend as well, and are just the first to announce it.

Good point.  I think it is going to be a given for cruises in 2022.  Just hope that my Canadian vaccines meet their requirements for boosters, etc.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

Good point.  I think it is going to be a given for cruises in 2022.  Just hope that my Canadian vaccines meet their requirements for boosters, etc.

As there are currently very few official positions on booster shots, that wouldn't be a major concern at this time.

Just now, CruiserBruce said:

As there are currently very few official positions on booster shots, that wouldn't be a major concern at this time.

I have no crystal ball but since I am cruising in 2022, I suspect it will be.

I lost my cruise again this year so will make up for it next year (I hope) 🤞 

Just now, kazu said:

I have no crystal ball but since I am cruising in 2022, I suspect it will be.

I lost my cruise again this year so will make up for it next year (I hope) 🤞 

Well...it seems likely at this time that the US will only do boosters for those over 65 (and at higher risk). So the cruise lines are not going to be able to require people under 65 to have boosters.

Just now, CruiserBruce said:

Well...it seems likely at this time that the US will only do boosters for those over 65 (and at higher risk). So the cruise lines are not going to be able to require people under 65 to have boosters.

We’ll see.  I’m pretty sure this will be an annual vaccine.  I could be wrong of course - I am often am 😉 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

We’ll see.  I’m pretty sure this will be an annual vaccine.  I could be wrong of course - I am often am 😉 

And after I wrote the above, the FDA just approved  Pfizer for 65 and above, and high risk individuals. The CDC will very likely agree. And, for those that got Moderna, I suspect the same recommendation, or even less, as Moderna has been leaning towards being more effective for longer. In our household, I got Moderna, DW got Pfizer.

This of course will continue to evolve. But the cruise lines would be in trouble if they required a booster for people who can't get it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SFO PETER said:

Crystal announced fleetwide vaccine requirement through all of 2022.   We are wondering if other cruise lines will follow.

Perhaps HAL can sail separate vaccinated from unvaccinated ships.

Why should they risk their vaccinated staff to deal with the unvaccinated?!

• Like 2