Final Payment reduce to 30 days before your cruise (Oct 1 - Dec 31, 2021)

xcell

1 hour ago, xcell said:

Had Princess done this we might still have a couple cruises booked with them. When the whole mixed doses crap hit the fan it forced us to take a look at our cruises and realize there was little point in taking it up to 70 days before and then cancelling. If it was 30 days it may have changed the water on the beans a bit for us. In the end we decided to get a 3rd dose to eliminate the mixed dose issue at the land border and planned a month at an AirBnB in November where we can pretty much live in isolation near a beach and avoid all the nonsense with cruise ships. As it turns out the land border is still closed 😕 so we'll fly from Canada. Someday we'll return to cruising - probably 2023 at this rate.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

The 30-day final payment due date is for sailings departing between October 1, 2021, through December 31, 2021. When this temporary change was introduced last week, anyone with a cruise starting up to mid-December would have had to have already made their 90-day final payment, so it appears that only those with cruises starting mid-December to December 31 will actually benefit. This seems more like a good PR stunt than an actual break for cruisers, other than those sailing in the final two weeks of the year. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Had Princess done this we might still have a couple cruises booked with them. When the whole mixed doses crap hit the fan it forced us to take a look at our cruises and realize there was little point in taking it up to 70 days before and then cancelling. If it was 30 days it may have changed the water on the beans a bit for us. In the end we decided to get a 3rd dose to eliminate the mixed dose issue at the land border and planned a month at an AirBnB in November where we can pretty much live in isolation near a beach and avoid all the nonsense with cruise ships. As it turns out the land border is still closed 😕 so we'll fly from Canada. Someday we'll return to cruising - probably 2023 at this rate.

I do think your point is important to repeat.

Each cruise line is doing something a little different and in the long run certain cruise lines are going to lose customers because of the choices they made, how they interpreted the CDC rules, and overall how they handled Covid rules.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2021 at 8:49 PM, K_e_short said:

I do think your point is important to repeat.

Each cruise line is doing something a little different and in the long run certain cruise lines are going to lose customers because of the choices they made, how they interpreted the CDC rules, and overall how they handled Covid rules.

Nail on the head @K_e_short. I think where the cruise lines really need to worry is with new cruisers. I can't imagine someone new to cruising even bothering at this point. For loads of long time cruisers they'll go through as many hoops as possible to get on a ship. I won't but many will.  A new cruiser isn't going to go through all the testing to fly and then more tests to cruise and live with changing rules every few weeks. Remember how confusing cruising for the first time was? Imagine having this on top of it? I wouldn't have even stepped foot on a ship for the first time if this was going on.

If you live near a port maybe you think about it but even then I bet that these new rules have successfully driven away a pile of possible new customers. I dont know how long this pandemic will last but the cruise ship industry recovery will take a number of years after the pandemic. We might be seeing the beginnings of a seismic shift in the cruise industry. When this is all said and done, will one or more cruise lines fail and be gobbled up by one of the giants? Wouldn't surprise me. 

• Like 2

It would not surprised me either if one or more cruise lines end up sinking into insolvency. The cruise line shareholders would care. Employees who might loose their jobs would care. Posters on CC would care (or at least yap on and on about it. i.e. me! 😉). But would the average Global traveler care? Probably not. Cruising is a niche market in the Global travel industry so most travelers have no idea, and no interest in what goes on the the cruise industry.  

Edited by DirtyDawg

48 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

It would not surprised me either if one or more cruise lines end up sinking into insolvency. The cruise line shareholders would care. Employees who might loose their jobs would care. Posters on CC would care (or at least yap on and on about it 😉). But would the average Global traveler care? Probably not. Cruising is a niche market in the Global travel industry so most travelers have no idea, and no interest in what goes on the the cruise industry.  

To my surprise, you are right. I thought the cruise industry was a much larger part of the global travel industry. Learn something new every day.

https://www.statista.com/forecasts/1238973/revenue-in-the-travel-and-tourism-market-worldwide

On 9/22/2021 at 10:55 AM, Fouremco said:

The 30-day final payment due date is for sailings departing between October 1, 2021, through December 31, 2021. When this temporary change was introduced last week, anyone with a cruise starting up to mid-December would have had to have already made their 90-day final payment, so it appears that only those with cruises starting mid-December to December 31 will actually benefit. This seems more like a good PR stunt than an actual break for cruisers, other than those sailing in the final two weeks of the year. 

It works for me, as I have to find out my daughter's exam schedule before I go.  I don't leave until Dec 19th, but the last day a University exam can be on, is the 19th, so would like to cancel if I cannot go.

The stocks are going back up, so I think people are feeling that cruises are rebounding.  Do you know or think the Christmas cruises will be closer to full capacity and not like what they are now (probably 1/3rd full).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xcell said:

It works for me, as I have to find out my daughter's exam schedule before I go.  I don't leave until Dec 19th, but the last day a University exam can be on, is the 19th, so would like to cancel if I cannot go.

The stocks are going back up, so I think people are feeling that cruises are rebounding.  Do you know or think the Christmas cruises will be closer to full capacity and not like what they are now (probably 1/3rd full).

Good to see someone benefitting from this temporary change! Hopefully she'll be all finished her exams before the 19th.

Numbers are anyone's guess, but I'd think well below full capacity. You could do a mock booking to get a rough idea of how full the ship looks now, but with the current situation in Florida and with COVID generally, I think that the low numbers that you are seeing with current cruises aren't going to increase dramatically over the next three months.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 10:26 AM, nbsjcruiser said:

To my surprise, you are right. I thought the cruise industry was a much larger part of the global travel industry. Learn something new every day.

https://www.statista.com/forecasts/1238973/revenue-in-the-travel-and-tourism-market-worldwide

Thanks for the link!  Wow. Didn't know that the cruise industry's share of revenue was that small in relation to other travel and tourism segments.   

But even with a relatively small market share, less (or no) cruises would shrink the hotel and Airbnb occupancies at ports of embarkation/debarkation, and shrink tourism revenue at ports of call. 

The average global traveler might not care, but there are plenty of ports of embarkation and ports of call where many livelihoods depend on the cruise industry, and disruption would have a ripple effect. 

This small niche may have impacts disproportionate to its size. 

On 9/27/2021 at 12:21 PM, Fouremco said:

Good to see someone benefitting from this temporary change! Hopefully she'll be all finished her exams before the 19th.

Numbers are anyone's guess, but I'd think well below full capacity. You could do a mock booking to get a rough idea of how full the ship looks now, but with the current situation in Florida and with COVID generally, I think that the low numbers that you are seeing with current cruises aren't going to increase dramatically over the next three months.

I did as mock booking and not many rooms available. Not sure if they are holding rooms not to book them or not.

Some days I am gung-ho on going and then otherdays the fear of testing positive and being stuck in the US worries me.

3 minutes ago, xcell said:

I did as mock booking and not many rooms available. Not sure if they are holding rooms not to book them or not.

Some days I am gung-ho on going and then otherdays the fear of testing positive and being stuck in the US worries me.

Our first restart cruise isn't until March, and we still have concerns, so your worries are completely understandable. Best of luck, whatever your final decision.

• Like 1

Thanks.

I wish there were either more stories of success or unsuccessful cruises with Canadians to read...to either scare me to hold off or reassure me.

I still have the opportunity to cancel to get some of my money back in cash, and other in FCC or cancel 2 days before and get it all in FCC, so that makes me feel better. 

I know, no one can predict the future.

17 minutes ago, xcell said:

Thanks.

I wish there were either more stories of success or unsuccessful cruises with Canadians to read...to either scare me to hold off or reassure me.

I still have the opportunity to cancel to get some of my money back in cash, and other in FCC or cancel 2 days before and get it all in FCC, so that makes me feel better. 

I know, no one can predict the future.

We are from Edmonton, we went on the Celebrity Equinox on August 27.  It was great to be back on a cruise!  We are headed out on the Equinox on October 29 and Nov 7 and are excited to go (our count down is on)!  We were really careful in Florida and wore masks everywhere (except on the beach) and stayed away from people, but the ship was only at around 40% capacity and we didn't wear masks anywhere and in general (other then the fact I was caught as a close contact - which was not the end of the world) everything felt pretty normal.

I did post a more full account of my Equinox experience on this board.

Please let me know if you have any questions that may help you.

4 minutes ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

We are from Edmonton, we went on the Celebrity Equinox on August 27.  It was great to be back on a cruise!  We are headed out on the Equinox on October 29 and Nov 7 and are excited to go (our count down is on)!  We were really careful in Florida and wore masks everywhere (except on the beach) and stayed away from people, but the ship was only at around 40% capacity and we didn't wear masks anywhere and in general (other then the fact I was caught as a close contact - which was not the end of the world) everything felt pretty normal.

I did post a more full account of my Equinox experience on this board.

Please let me know if you have any questions that may help you.

I had read review earlier and it was reassuring. Too bad there's not many out there. I'm a pessimist and worry about the worst. Like what would we do if we caught covid on the ship? I read on rccl website that they would help cover the cost of the inland quarantine and I guess change in flight home but that's hard to believe. I can see them doing this for US passengers because it easier.

Haven't seen any answer on NCL so thought I would post. I was due to pay in full for our February NCL cruise a few weeks ago and was prepared to cancel. But my TA advised that final payment now not due til December 1. That gives me enough time to think about it but pretty sure we will go. Like others, I would like to hear some more feedback from Canadians that have cruised.

1 hour ago, bjay3 said:

Like others, I would like to hear some more feedback from Canadians that have cruised.

Compared to Americans, I don't think that there are many Canadians cruising currently, and typically we see far fewer reviews from Canadians even at the best of times. And those that are posted are scattered across the many cruise line sites. Add to that the vast number of CC members who aren't aware of the Canadian Cruisers board, and there will be slim pickings when looking for feedback. Unfortunate, but in the memorable words of Peter Trueman, that too is reality.

On 9/22/2021 at 10:55 AM, Fouremco said:

Booked on a Celebrity cruise in February, 2002 and just received notice from them that the final payment is now due in December, rather than the typical 90 day window in November.  Seems like they're trying to encourage people not to cancel, perhaps in order to salvage the winter season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheHawk1 said:

Booked on a Celebrity cruise in February, 2002 and just received notice from them that the final payment is now due in December, rather than the typical 90 day window in November.  Seems like they're trying to encourage people not to cancel, perhaps in order to salvage the winter season.

You're right. First the 30 final payment, which really only benefitted a very small number of passengers, but now a very helpful reduction to 60 days for all cruise till the end of March. I agree, I think that there are too many unknowns 90 days out and a lot of resulting cancellations.