The Daily for Wednesday September 22, 2021

richwmn

Today is Autumn Equinox, Business Women's Day, and Elephant Appreciation Day

The dearest days in one's life are those that seem very far and very near at once. - Abraham Cahan

Meal suggestion for today - Australian Lamb with Herbs

Drink of the Day - Mexica

Wine of the day - RouteStock Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast 116 2017

Destination of the Day - Puerto Caldera (Puntarenas) Costa Rica

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Destination Piraeus, Gr
Eurodam

At Sea Destination Ketchikan
Nieuw Amsterdam

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting
Westerdam Destination Ensenada MX eta 9/26

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Noordam Anchorage

Port Everglades FL
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

San Diego
Zuiderdam eta 6am Pacific

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage
Rotterdam Anchorage

0922World.thumb.png.f411d66d03ec5b8132845c9da6b3c152.png

• Like 34
  • Thanks 6

Good morning and thanks for today’s daily report Rich.  Happy Fall everyone, hats off to business women and elephants too.  Interesting quote today, makes you pause and think.  Will pass on today’s meal suggestion, not much of a lamb eater.  Look forward to seeing photos of today’s port as I have not been there yet.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event.

• Like 23

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  I am so ready for fall.  Elephants are amazing and Business Women really enrich our culture.  I love the Cahan quote.  Been to Caldera several times, mostly on Crystal but also on MS Zaandam.  The lamb sounds great.  My alternative is Empire Builder M&C(Lunch) and Steak(Dinner) as served ton the Empire Builder September 22, 2017 on the way to boarding MS Oosterdam in Seattle.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/dishes0922.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer but responding VERY well
StLouisSal’s friend
Lady Hudson’s BIL in rehab
Seasick Sailor fighting thrush
Sam in rehab an hour away from home and Mamaofami insurance hassles
From the rotation:
Me awaiting PET test results
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
2 days for Cruising-along
HAL4NOWat sea
Overhead Fred at the Cottage and negative
NextOne helping with family move
lindaler visiting Alabama son
Icand9223 away on river cruise
Booster for Quartzite Cruiser
SusieKislandGirl in Colorado with grandsons
full range of motion for cat shepard
Welcome home Dfish
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

Good morning from a rainy Southern Ontario.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Welcome Autumn.  Love elephants, and a big salute to business women.

An interesting quote, certainly gives me something to think about.

Looking forward to seeing today's recipe, we like lamb.

Hope the drink of the day are good too.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  A toast to all the celebrations.

Happy Hump Day.  Stay safe.

• Like 19

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Hump Day smile 🙂 

I’ll happily celebrate Business Women’s Day since I was one for so long.  Love elephants and sadly, Autumn Equinox marks the beginning of Fall and the darker evenings and days.  For some, it marks the countdown to Hallowe’en.

5B0D0D9B-6DAF-4F32-BD68-234AA2F1C933.thumb.jpeg.4acb7798984a297eeeade27b31c16513.jpeg

Great quote by Cahan today.  Love lamb and I usually make it with herbs. 

We’ve been to today’s port.  The port itself is mostly for freight and pretty dismal IIRC. 

Today is also the day proof of vaccine is required to get into any non essential services. 👍  

Fall is a sad time for me as it is time to start to put the garden to bed and dig up all my bulbs.  I’ve always started on some of the begonias 😔 

AE9B0845-696F-4312-8CA1-BB1DEDBD4058.thumb.jpeg.a0ff844f55220bfb76dc9c660a540fc9.jpeg

83AEFC9A-51D3-4E5E-9C8A-7F3996B6513F.thumb.jpeg.0cd23b7c478edf6e142e6e9642da0d93.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Wednesday everyone!!!!!

32FEFFE0-181C-4F09-AA73-8C7D98E89E68.thumb.jpeg.ee0eb55c77961ba054d29bea194b0454.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 40

Good morning, everyone!   

Thank you so much to all who welcomed me back home.  It was a great trip and so nice to escape reality for a while.  We kind of had to escape reality due to the internet issues on the ship.   It wasn't so much the ability to connect or the speed.  It was more a problem of the internet provider placing geographical restrictions on websites and such.   My nephew suggested a VPN might help get around that in the future.  

Thank you so much to Jacqui for the stellar job on the recipes while I was gone.  She went above and beyond by providing more than one recipe for each meal.  I loved her descriptions as well!

Today's meal is one I think of as Sunday dinner.  I remember having lamb chops occasionally as a child for dinner on Sundays.  I'd eat it with a ton of mint jelly.  I never really developed an appreciation for lamb unless prepared and seasoned well.   The Binghamton, NY spiedies were originally made with lamb, but that lamb was marinated for days, sometimes even up to a week.   I had lamb at a Brazilian Grill in Portland a few years back and it was great.   So, perhaps I should try it again.  

Ok, who would know Australian lamb better than the Australian Lamb website?    There are a couple of versions here.  The first comes with a lemon cream sauce and the second just herbed.  One of the things I liked about this site is that they offer tips for substitutions and variations.  

https://www.australianlamb.com.au/recipes/butterflied-lamb-leg-with-lemon-and-herb-cream/

butterflied-lamb-leg-with-lemon-and-herb-cream-1.thumb.jpg.8c6984381a539610ceec48c695b3ab67.jpg

https://www.australianlamb.com.au/recipes/thyme-and-garlic-lamb-leg-roast/

traditional-leg-roast-v.thumb.jpg.d0df6dcfe9395b84e2f2513369286786.jpg

Here's to a great day for all and may we all be able to board a BHB soon.  It was great to go back despite awful weather.  

• Like 36
  • Thanks 5

Today's sunrise is from a Blount Cruise in 2006 on their smallest vessel, the Niagara Prince, from Rhode Island through the Champlain Canal to Burlington, Vermont.  On September 22 we were approaching New York City from Long Island Sound:

IMG_0481.JPG.78f961845324f4ac81fddb85421

Roy

• Like 39
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all - first day of fall always bittersweet for me.  As much as I adore the cooler crisp days of autumn, it means that in a few weeks its time to put all the outdoor furniture away and prepare to 'hunker in' for the colder weather to come.  

I like that there is Business Womens Day - I'm blessed to be enjoying a resurrected business career after giving it all up to become a stay-at-home-mom for 17 years.   There have been some pretty big moments I've experienced in the past six years at my current position, but one of the highlights was breaking bread with one of only 35 women CEO's running Fortune 500 Companies a couple of months ago.  

Elephants are a curiousity - so large and powerful, but seemingly gentle.  Not a fan of lamb so would pass on the meal...but the wine sounds interesting.

I was briefly excited when I saw 'Costa Rica' as the port, thinking I'd have pictures...but wrong spot in that nation.  I was in Puerto Limon.

@mamaofami so sorry to hear of the troubles with Sam and insurance.  As so many others have said, please try to find some time for self-care. 

Glad to hear from yesterday's posts that some are starting to get the Pfizer booster.  I'm convinced it will be necessary, and can see this becoming an annual 'thing' like the flu shot.  I'll do whatever it takes to stay safe and healthy.

Another work day calls...this busy Business Woman has a full slate of meetings today.  Have a good day all...will check in later.

• Like 31

Good morning everyone. Once again, CC will not allow me to post on my iPad. The post would come out as the first one of the day so I'm on my desk top.

There is a Facebook page for the United Teachers'  organization and someone with a great deal of knowledge about the new insurance gave me a name to email at the union. That person passed me along to someone else who set everything up for me and now I don't have to worry anymore about the new health insurance plan. I will keep what I have.

On the other hand, Sam did meet the 90 day lifetime elimination period for the Long Term Care policy, but since there has been a lapse in service from the nursing agency I don't know if we will now have to submit papers from the hospital and rehab and doctors since this was a second stroke. The person I hired to help with that is on vacation so I have to wait till she comes back to figure it out.

Sam will be coming home next Thursday and we do have an aide the agency lined up for us. The one we had before went to Ghana several weeks ago for her father's funeral and hasn't returned as she had planned.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Another great combo of days! I appreciate elephants everyday. And Business Women have made great strides in my liifetime. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! @kazu, Jacqui thank you for making sure we did not go hungry while Debbie was cruising. Welcome back @dfish

Morning Dailyite family! Haircut and PT this morning, so just a quick wine post. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

RouteStock Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast 116 2017

All released vintages of this Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir share the same ratings, so grab what is available for the best price you can find. Several online distributors with prices starting at $19.95.

Winemaker Notes

#66 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

The wine has a bright garnet color with an amazingly high-toned explosive nose of wild sage, blood orange peel, raspberry and shiitake mushrooms. The palate is quite bright and lively with acidity and yet warm with flavors of orange blossom, red fruits, orange peel, well integrated French oak and herbs. There is a great generous fresh forward varietal fruit to the wine making it great to drink now or over the next few years. The balance of the wine keeps it fresh and at the same time mouth filling with expansive flavors. The wine finishes with a beautiful mouth-watering savory character that brings you back for glass after glass!

WS91 Wine Spectator:  This offers creamy raspberry, currant and wild plum flavors, supported by medium-grained tannins. The spicy finish lingers with chocolate notes and hints of mint. Drink now through 2023.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!   

Thank you so much to all who welcomed me back home.  It was a great trip and so nice to escape reality for a while.  We kind of had to escape reality due to the internet issues on the ship.   It wasn't so much the ability to connect or the speed.  It was more a problem of the internet provider placing geographical restrictions on websites and such.   My nephew suggested a VPN might help get around that in the future.  

Thank you so much to Jacqui for the stellar job on the recipes while I was gone.  She went above and beyond by providing more than one recipe for each meal.  I loved her descriptions as well!

Today's meal is one I think of as Sunday dinner.  I remember having lamb chops occasionally as a child for dinner on Sundays.  I'd eat it with a ton of mint jelly.  I never really developed an appreciation for lamb unless prepared and seasoned well.   The Binghamton, NY spiedies were originally made with lamb, but that lamb was marinated for days, sometimes even up to a week.   I had lamb at a Brazilian Grill in Portland a few years back and it was great.   So, perhaps I should try it again.  

Ok, who would know Australian lamb better than the Australian Lamb website?    There are a couple of versions here.  The first comes with a lemon cream sauce and the second just herbed.  One of the things I liked about this site is that they offer tips for substitutions and variations.  

https://www.australianlamb.com.au/recipes/butterflied-lamb-leg-with-lemon-and-herb-cream/

butterflied-lamb-leg-with-lemon-and-herb-cream-1.thumb.jpg.8c6984381a539610ceec48c695b3ab67.jpg

Here's to a great day for all and may we all be able to board a BHB soon.  It was great to go back despite awful weather.  

Welcome home, Debbie 🙂

• Like 15

Good morning  to all. It may be the Autumn  Equinox  but it felt warm and muggy when Fred and I first set out on our morning  walk. He has made friends with a group of High School kids waiting for their bus and received  a big hello this morning.  So exciting,much tail wagging!

My "second  job" involved me seeing private PT patients at home.I have a great deal of respect for business women as I learned first hand how much I needed to learn.It was a lot to organize and schedule,, seeing the patients.

The recipe looks great but few of the family like lamb.I like the quote and have not been to the port.

Today involves "medical transportation " for both DH and Tana. Thank goodness  for the kindle and phone to occupy waiting time.

Take care out there everyone

Terry

• Like 27

Thank you Rich for today's daily and Roy for the care list and celebrations.

It is 13.15pm sunny and 70°F.

We have just got home after being to church then the beach and then to the garden centre.

Great days today.

It is Autumn equinox day today but Saturday is Autumn Equilox day in the UK where day and night time are equally 12 hours.

It is imperative we look after our 🐘 or they will disappear for good.

Business women are to be admired.

Great and true quote.

Nice food but not sure of the drink.

We have not been to today's port so will appreciate any photos posted.

I said prayers at church this morning 🙏 at church and included everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

IMG_20210922_104933.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!   

Welcome back Debbie.

I am delighted to hear you had a fantastic cruise.

Thank you for your food photos too.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 18

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Today is Autumn Equinox, Business Women's Day, and Elephant Appreciation Day

The dearest days in one's life are those that seem very far and very near at once. - Abraham Cahan

Meal suggestion for today - Australian Lamb with Herbs

Drink of the Day - Mexica

Wine of the day - RouteStock Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast 116 2017

Destination of the Day - Puerto Caldera (Puntarenas) Costa Rica

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Destination Piraeus, Gr
Eurodam

At Sea Destination Ketchikan
Nieuw Amsterdam

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting
Westerdam Destination Ensenada MX eta 9/26

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Noordam Anchorage

Port Everglades FL
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

San Diego
Zuiderdam eta 6am Pacific

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage
Rotterdam Anchorage

0922World.thumb.png.f411d66d03ec5b8132845c9da6b3c152.png

Thank You for the DAILY FLEET REPORT

• Like 9

Good morning all!

Just popping in for a moment this a.m., having my sorority sisters over this afternoon.

I love autumn, but I know some people just feel it means winter is closing in. I was a stay at home mom for many years, didn’t join the business world until quite late, but enjoyed those years immensely. In honor of elephant appreciation day I will share a pic from my friend JoEllen Toler who is a volunteer photographer at the St Louis Zoo.

Wine sounds good, first ate lamb on a HAL cruise, usually don’t fix it myself. Not sure I’ve had the drink before. 

I have been to the destination today, but those visits were on my earliest cruises, so no digital pics. We loved visiting Costa Rica. I often say that back in my elementary school years, when I was coloring maps of Central America, if you had told me I would be visiting those countries one day, I would never have believed you.

Prayers going up today 🙏 for all who need them, and cheers for the celebrations 🍷

St Louis Sal

EDD004D6-ED23-496C-BFE6-1EB3DBF27E73.jpeg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  With the Autumn Equinox I hope our temps finally fall.  Yea for Business women and Elephants are just neat.

Hmmm about the quote.  I don't care for Lamb so will skip the meal.

We have been to Puntarenas many times, will look for photo's later.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Mexica:

Originally crafted in Munich, this citrusy and herbal cocktail was inspired by autumn and you’ll fall in love at first sip.

Ingredients

Ingredients
1.75 oz Patron Silver
.75 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
.75 oz Homemade dill syrup
.75 oz Fresh tangerine juice
.5 oz Martini bitter
Himalayan salt rim

Method
Half-rim rocks glass with Himalayan salt.
Add ingredients to mixing tin.
Shake and strain into prepared rocks glass filled with ice.

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 8.50.00 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7