The Daily for Wednesday September 22, 2021

richwmn

Good morning from a sunny and breezy central Texas.

Surprisingly, autumn is making an apprearance early here.  Our early morning temperatures have dropped in the the 50sF. which usually does not happen until sometime in October.  But then, this has not been a normal year.  I just don't like the shorter days.  Elephants need to be celebrated and protected.  Business women deserve their day.

An interesting quote today.  We'll pass on the lamb as DH is not fond of it.  I'll wait until I'm on a BHB for my lamb.  I'm not sure about the drink, but the wine sounds nice.

We have been to Puerto Caldera (Puntarenas) many times.  It is the port for the interior of Costa Rica, and we've done many tours there.  Our last cruise in Janaury 2020 on the Rotterdam, stopped there on both legs of the b2b Panama Canal cruise.  Since we'd been to San Jose, etc., several times, we just took the shuttle into Puntarenas and walked around.

I share our pictures from that day, and come back and read the Daily later.  Unfortunately, the house is telling me it's time to clean it.  😱

DSC08976.thumb.JPG.178345f6bce556e713b6c76162540aa8.JPG

DSC08632.thumb.JPG.eee84582d3f88602d953cbe280f13ee8.JPG

DSC08634.thumb.JPG.e0369a2fab8d6cae55c8311b84c31549.JPG

DSC08635.thumb.JPG.4b2765403af8f18396b44373ef457e82.JPG

DSC08633.thumb.JPG.d16708d069ad4f8fb8ce23a7d7a285e2.JPG

DSC08977.thumb.JPG.80c2992a865970ae0c8df3efce21f45b.JPG

DSC08980.thumb.JPG.e6bf2d80c9a3d53b3d5d3c06334e5a94.JPG

Lenda

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!  Still cloudy this morning here but at least it's not raining.  Should see the sun a little bit later.  Thanks Rich for the Daily and thanks Roy for the lists.  We are whittling away at those needing prayers.  Great to see so many celebrating happy events.  @kazuthank you for the flower photos today.  I would hate to see the end of the gardening season too if I had so many lovely flowers and plants in my yard.  @dfishI'm happy to see you back on the Daily but sorry for the end of your cruise already.  I hope Donna is doing well after her hip replacement.  @mamaofamihoping you have a good day today.   Sounds like you have things in hand now.  @Seasick Sailorpraying you are feeling better today.  

A very sad day yesterday hearing the news on Gabbie Petito but I pray there is eventually a resolution and justice for her death.

I feel a little melancholy to see summer go, but autumn is usually a lovely season so will try to enjoy it.  Maybe the rain will slow down a bit.  Cheers to our business women and the mighty elephants.  I'm not a huge fan of lamb so will pass on that menu suggestion.  Will also pass on the drink and wine of the day.  

My records show two stops at Puntarenas on Princess ships and one on the Westerdam.  Holland America described it on the itinerary as Puerto Caldera (Puntarenas), Costa Rica but my photos show we docked at the very long Puntarenas dock as the Princess ships did.  So no I haven't been to Puerto Caldera but yes to Puntarenas.  

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 23

15 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  With the Autumn Equinox I hope our temps finally fall.  Yea for Business women and Elephants are just neat.

Hmmm about the quote.  I don't care for Lamb so will skip the meal.

We have been to Puntarenas many times, will look for photo's later.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Mexica:

Originally crafted in Munich, this citrusy and herbal cocktail was inspired by autumn and you’ll fall in love at first sip.

Ingredients

Ingredients
1.75 oz Patron Silver
.75 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
.75 oz Homemade dill syrup
.75 oz Fresh tangerine juice
.5 oz Martini bitter
Himalayan salt rim

Method
Half-rim rocks glass with Himalayan salt.
Add ingredients to mixing tin.
Shake and strain into prepared rocks glass filled with ice.

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 8.50.00 AM.png

This sounded good to me because it doesn't appear as sweet as some cocktails.  But, the hold up was the dill syrup.   Not to worry!   It is quite easy to make.

https://www.thrillist.com/recipe/dill-syrup-recipe

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

Good morning Rich and Daily-ites. Thank you for the Daily.

Debbie welcome home. Roy, please remove me from prayer list. The meds finally kicked in. Have not been that ill for many years.. Jacqui thank you for the great recipes and stepping in for Debbie.

I have not read this weeks whole Daily. Hoping all is well with everyone. 

We have guys and wives starting to arrive today. Meet and mingle at our place over the next 4 days. Plenty of food, baked goods, brisket and drinks. The weather looks like mid 80's so pretty nice.

Prayers, Cheers and Blessings 

• Like 28

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

The changing leaves, cooler temperatures, crisp morning air are things I love about Autumn.

A salute to Business Women.

Elephants are awesome.

Great quote. I love lamb, especially on a cruise; I only make it once or twice a year and usually make it with just herbs, but definitely interested in the lemon herb cream sauce.

More rain here today which is supposed to bring cooler temperatures especially at night. (The forecast says low of 47/48 Thursday-Saturday.) 

Wishing each of you a wonderful Wednesday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 19

Thanks @Quartzsite Cruiserfor your photos today.  I think we stopped at the same restaurant that you did.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK8TrzBW0TwU-4qKISVALow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216991

This is an interesting way to spend a half hour, watching all the people scurrying off the ships in port.  Also watching those buses back up on the narrow pier for a quarter of a mile or so.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIYXBW-RlfeW5bs9dw_koPe?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216975

On my first trip to Costa Rica on Star Princess in 2012 we took a tour but I'm not even sure where the bus took us.  We thought it was Puntarenas.  We stopped at this local square and watched the children dance. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLGNeDt296-k0kPCsJe0AiR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1632316836

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLsFchFFxyzdY7bccqnRlqA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1632314215

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKHRShFonmDE2_7KRlrXDUs?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332645566

The square was across the street from this church.  Anyone recognize the location?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIaqxQat5Q4ZqzZJtIcDM95?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1632316821

• Like 29

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  I am so ready for fall.  Elephants are amazing and Business Women really enrich our culture.  I love the Cahan quote.  Been to Caldera several times, mostly on Crystal but also on MS Zaandam.  The lamb sounds great.  My alternative is Empire Builder M&C(Lunch) and Steak(Dinner) as served ton the Empire Builder September 22, 2017 on the way to boarding MS Oosterdam in Seattle.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/dishes0922.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer but responding VERY well
StLouisSal’s friend
Lady Hudson’s BIL in rehab
Seasick Sailor fighting thrush
Sam in rehab an hour away from home and Mamaofami insurance hassles
From the rotation:
Me awaiting PET test results
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
2 days for Cruising-along
HAL4NOWat sea
Overhead Fred at the Cottage and negative
NextOne helping with family move
lindaler visiting Alabama son
Icand9223 away on river cruise
Booster for Quartzite Cruiser
SusieKislandGirl in Colorado with grandsons
full range of motion for cat shepard
Welcome home Dfish
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Hi Roy.

Just been informed I will have a cataract operation tomorrow at 14.45pm.

I am looking forward to getting it done 🤞.

Graham.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Hi Roy.

Graham.

Good luck with your operation tomorrow, Graham.

DH had his just over a year ago.  It went smoothly.  Hope yours is just a smooth 🤞 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, kazu said:

Good luck with your operation tomorrow, Graham.

DH had his just over a year ago.  It went smoothly.  Hope yours is just a smooth 🤞 

Thank you Jacquie

I had a phacovitrectomy op in February where I had an Epiretinal Membrane peal and OCL fitted on my other eye and have been waiting since then to get a cataract op on my other eye to balance them then I can finally go to the opticians to get the correct glasses.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

A little late in response but we do live in Central Time. Many don’t realize that part of Western Florida is in Central Time Zone.

We really enjoy this time of year as with less tourist we get to enjoy our piece of Paradise. Can actually find a parking place at the beach, no traffic jams, etc,

Breeze is picking up and maybe the forecasted cold front is arriving. Though still in 70-80’s during the day.

Thanks for the Daily. When your retired like me every day is Hump Day!👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Like 25

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  With the Autumn Equinox I hope our temps finally fall.  Yea for Business women and Elephants are just neat.

Hmmm about the quote.  I don't care for Lamb so will skip the meal.

We have been to Puntarenas many times, will look for photo's later.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Mexica:

Originally crafted in Munich, this citrusy and herbal cocktail was inspired by autumn and you’ll fall in love at first sip.

Ingredients

Ingredients
1.75 oz Patron Silver
.75 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
.75 oz Homemade dill syrup
.75 oz Fresh tangerine juice
.5 oz Martini bitter
Himalayan salt rim

Method
Half-rim rocks glass with Himalayan salt.
Add ingredients to mixing tin.
Shake and strain into prepared rocks glass filled with ice.

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 8.50.00 AM.png

You had me at "Patron Silver"...pass on the salt rim.  Never did like that.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Hump Day smile 🙂 

I’ll happily celebrate Business Women’s Day since I was one for so long.  Love elephants and sadly, Autumn Equinox marks the beginning of Fall and the darker evenings and days.  For some, it marks the countdown to Hallowe’en.

5B0D0D9B-6DAF-4F32-BD68-234AA2F1C933.thumb.jpeg.4acb7798984a297eeeade27b31c16513.jpeg

Great quote by Cahan today.  Love lamb and I usually make it with herbs. 

We’ve been to today’s port.  The port itself is mostly for freight and pretty dismal IIRC. 

Today is also the day proof of vaccine is required to get into any non essential services. 👍  

Fall is a sad time for me as it is time to start to put the garden to bed and dig up all my bulbs.  I’ve always started on some of the begonias 😔 

AE9B0845-696F-4312-8CA1-BB1DEDBD4058.thumb.jpeg.a0ff844f55220bfb76dc9c660a540fc9.jpeg

83AEFC9A-51D3-4E5E-9C8A-7F3996B6513F.thumb.jpeg.0cd23b7c478edf6e142e6e9642da0d93.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Wednesday everyone!!!!!

32FEFFE0-181C-4F09-AA73-8C7D98E89E68.thumb.jpeg.ee0eb55c77961ba054d29bea194b0454.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷 

I so enjoy the gardening pictures, Jacqui...and those of everyone who has shared.

True that the fall means the end of a lot of annuals, but I did go out this weekend and get some fall color for the yard.  Found a couple of very cool ornamental peppers, and a triple-color ENORMOUS mum that I couldn't resist...

image.png.6841e50b11fab1a434fc21bf13123fa2.png

image.png.c65cb6b4980a7a39ff6d6a903f6ead27.png

image.png.27140d6b01e0673bf14ad10b1357557e.png

• Like 34

I tried to post about an hour ago on my phone but it wouldn't let me like or post so now I'm on the computer.  I made it home from Mobile very late last night. It's good to be home but it was a great visit. Now I can think about getting ready for a cruise in 18 days.  Thanks everyone for the prayers. First trip without my service dog went fine. I am still on Mobile time and got up early enough to see the first light and the pink clouds and the moon hasn't set yet. Now to go back and see if I can like the great pictures. 

• Like 28

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Hi Roy.

Graham.

Graham best wishes  for your  eye  surgery  and  sending  prayers  your   way.        Jim.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

👍Thank you to all who contribute to The Daily especially Rich @richwmn and to Roy @rafinmd for the Care and Celebration Lists.

I checked my calendar and we were in today's port back on Nov. 11, 2018 ( 🚢Volendam out of San Diego). I wrote something like mangroves and who knows where the photos are, lol! 🙃

When I hear elephants, I think of Babar (from teaching days) and the book Water for Elephants.🐘

🙏Prayers to all in need!

Katie 

FB_IMG_1632321389870.jpg

Edited by garlictown
  • Like 23

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!   

Thank you so much to all who welcomed me back home.  It was a great trip and so nice to escape reality for a while.  We kind of had to escape reality due to the internet issues on the ship.   It wasn't so much the ability to connect or the speed.  It was more a problem of the internet provider placing geographical restrictions on websites and such.   My nephew suggested a VPN might help get around that in the future.  

Thank you so much to Jacqui for the stellar job on the recipes while I was gone.  She went above and beyond by providing more than one recipe for each meal.  I loved her descriptions as well!

Today's meal is one I think of as Sunday dinner.  I remember having lamb chops occasionally as a child for dinner on Sundays.  I'd eat it with a ton of mint jelly.  I never really developed an appreciation for lamb unless prepared and seasoned well.   The Binghamton, NY spiedies were originally made with lamb, but that lamb was marinated for days, sometimes even up to a week.   I had lamb at a Brazilian Grill in Portland a few years back and it was great.   So, perhaps I should try it again.  

Ok, who would know Australian lamb better than the Australian Lamb website?    There are a couple of versions here.  The first comes with a lemon cream sauce and the second just herbed.  One of the things I liked about this site is that they offer tips for substitutions and variations.  

https://www.australianlamb.com.au/recipes/butterflied-lamb-leg-with-lemon-and-herb-cream/

butterflied-lamb-leg-with-lemon-and-herb-cream-1.thumb.jpg.8c6984381a539610ceec48c695b3ab67.jpg

https://www.australianlamb.com.au/recipes/thyme-and-garlic-lamb-leg-roast/

traditional-leg-roast-v.thumb.jpg.d0df6dcfe9395b84e2f2513369286786.jpg

Here's to a great day for all and may we all be able to board a BHB soon.  It was great to go back despite awful weather.  

@dfish.   The Binghamton, NY spiedies were originally made with lamb, but that lamb was marinated for days, sometimes even up to a week. 

love those spiedies! I went to SUNY Cortland and spent weekends in Binghamton with a Girl Scout ‘s friends family. Grab some every time I get back there. Thanks for the memories. 

• Like 15

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good luck tomorrow with your cataract surgery @grapau27.  Not much notice though was it?  Less time to spend fretting about it.  I'm sure all will be well and you'll be able to get those glasses.  Take care!

Thanks Sandi.

It was supposed to be in August and they kept putting me on a wait list and said sometime in November.

After a nice chat with the booking officer they fit me in for tomorrow.

Graham.

• Like 16

43 minutes ago, irishjim said:

Graham best wishes  for your  eye  surgery  and  sending  prayers  your   way.        Jim.

Thanks Jim.

I have been phoning every 2 weeks since July and being put off so I am delighted I got an appointment for tomorrow.

• Like 13

Greetings from the Mountain Time Zone.... and also greetings on a very cool morning. There was actually a touch of frost on the north facing roofs as Bandit and I did our early morning walk. I actually enjoy Fall here.... the aspen and oak soon be turned and I notice our train through the mountains to Silverton has added cars. Lots of tourists in town right now. And the arrival of a large number of deer in the yard shows that it is also hunting season .... one buck with a very nice set of antlers has taken up residence on the hill just above my condo. He is safe there.

I join in the salute to elephants - I have always loved them. And I enjoy lamb although I do not have it often. On of my cousins married a woman from Wales whose family kept them supplied with lamb which was often our Sunday meal.

• Like 21

55 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

@grapau27,best of everything  for your cataract surgery tomorrow. I will send prayers across the Atlantic to you. Are there eye drops required prior to the procedure?You have certainly  been  through a lot with your eyes.

Terry

Thanks Terry I appreciate your prayers.

The op on my other eye in February meant that for the first time in 20 years I could drive,watch TV etc without wearing glasses.

They will probably give me some eye drops after the op.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1