The Daily for Wednesday September 22, 2021

richwmn

2 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Oops. You're right. That's Punta Arenas, Chile, not Costa Rico. I'd better learn to read!

Just got a Tornado watch alert. Let's hope not, and that we just get a bad thunderstorm.

Stay safe.

Roy

• Like 9

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Hi Roy.

Just been informed I will have a cataract operation tomorrow at 14.45pm.

I am looking forward to getting it done 🤞.

Graham.

Wishing you an excellent procedure and speedy recovery.

Roy

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Rich and Daily-ites. Thank you for the Daily.

Debbie welcome home. Roy, please remove me from prayer list. The meds finally kicked in. Have not been that ill for many years.. Jacqui thank you for the great recipes and stepping in for Debbie.

I have not read this weeks whole Daily. Hoping all is well with everyone. 

We have guys and wives starting to arrive today. Meet and mingle at our place over the next 4 days. Plenty of food, baked goods, brisket and drinks. The weather looks like mid 80's so pretty nice.

Prayers, Cheers and Blessings 

Excellent news.  You need to be at your best for your reunion.  Have fun.

Roy

• Like 9

In honor of Elephant Appreciation Day, the view from our bungalow at Old Tukai Lodge in Kenya's Amboseli National Park and, from our twice-daily game drives, of female elephants sheltering a less than month old between them.

(From our 1996 combined African Safari & Islands of the Indian Ocean cruise offered by Micato Safaris and the Orient Line's Marco Polo.)

-Melisa

IMG_20210922_144029390.jpg

IMG_20210922_143547775.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We have guys and wives starting to arrive today. Meet and mingle at our place over the next 4 days. Plenty of food, baked goods, brisket and drinks. The weather looks like mid 80's so pretty nice.

Sounds lovely 👍 

Happy to hear that the meds have kicked in and you are feeling so much better and can enjoy it 🙂 

• Like 10

Greetings:

As always, thanks for the daily and the lists.

Salutations to women in business, elephants and the Autumnal equinox. The meal sounds great and the recipe has my mouth watering.

Although summer weather is ddparting for many, there is not much difference here in S. FL. Another warm pool day.

Stay safe everyone

• Like 16

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Finally, I meet someone who has heard of spiedies!   They are great, especially if you marinate them long enough.  A couple hours or overnight just doesn't do it.  

@lindaler  Welcome home!

@Seasick Sailor I'm glad you're feeling better.

@grapau27 Good luck with your cataract surgery tomorrow.  

@mamaofami I'm happy that you were able to find someone to help with the insurance mess.  It is deliberately complicated.  If you goof up and aren't covered, they don't have to pay.

Don’t I know that. As then daughter of a former insurance broker with his own agency I know that is the name of the game.His agency wasn’t the one paying his customers but they always ran into this kind of trouble.

• Like 11

Thanks to so many for The Daily! I have spent the morning catching up with CC as we are visiting DD and family in Kona and today is the first day we are spending time on our own. With the grands at school, we are enjoying coffee & easy reading from the lanai. After missing a few days of reading The Daily, I realize how I look forward to so many posts, Rich and Roy, Ger, mamofami, Sharon in Az, Graham, and so many others. And of course the floor mat pictures and pictures of our travels. Thank you.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

I've never been to Puntarenas but have been to Puerto Caldera several times including April 15, 2017 on MS Zaandam.  It's quite close to Puntarenas where the Eurodam was docked.

eurodam.jpgI

It is a cargo port.  There's a small structure at the side that's purportedly a terminal there but there was no activity there:

eurodam.jpg

My tour included a short jungle cruise and a ride on a train that was originally used to transport produce to the port but now just a short scenic train:

train1.jpg

We did not seem to disturb wildlife going through the jungle and I "caught" this howler monkey:

howler.jpg

Here's another view of our train as we disembarked, about 20 minutes from the port.

train2.jpg

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon everyone and Happy Wednesday. I took Craig to his cardio appointment this morning, just his regular 6 month exam to follow his “leaky” valve, and they are suggesting that he have a loop implant that lasts 3 years to monitor everything. I think this is a great idea and will hopefully monitor his lightheaded spells.  It’s a simple in office procedure. Much better than the temporary loop monitoring systems he has had before. 

Afterward we went to https://zona78.com/ for lunch. Not our #1 favorite but a very close second. This was mine after I ate a few pieces:

36AAA469-917A-4EBF-8708-56C00ED7782C.thumb.jpeg.125ba3ed17d373f0930c1eb851179675.jpeg

Sausage, mushrooms, fennel, olives, house made mozzarella, basil. Yum. Craig had his usual Margherita. 

Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. Prayers to those on the Care list. 

I love the pictures today of the elephants. How exciting it must be to see them in the wild. 

We have been to today’s port in 2000 on our Panama Canal cruise on the Volendam but don’t know where my printed pictures are. Craig took mostly video back then.  I know we went on a morning tour and then ate lunch. The restaurant looked very much like the one @Sir PMP posted. And Vanessa, @JazzyV, I’m really glad you posted your pictures even though it was a different Puntarenas. I loved the one of you at dinner in your Santa hat. 

Even though it is the Autumnal Equinox it doesn’t feel like that here, just the shortening of daylight. It’s 95 right now. 

Joy, @Seasick Sailor, I’m glad you feel better. Have a nice reunion. 

Debbie, @dfish, welcome home, we missed you. Happy to hear you enjoyed your cruise. Do you know if Maxine, @AncientWanderergetting home soon?

Did anyone watch Seth’s Tuesday Trivia on FB yesterday?  He answered a few questions about our upcoming cruise and what will replace Santa Barbara. Short answer— they don’t know yet. Supposedly they will notify us the end of this week. Could be a new port, could be longer time in an existing port, could be a sea day. So I know about as much as I did before. 😉

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 21

Good afternoon.  The house is clean and now I can relax and respond to the Daily.

@kazu  Beautiful pictues of beautiful flowers,  I can understanx why you are unhappy with the arrival of fall.  After all the hars work to get the garden in shape, and then to have t\iu turn around and undo all the work would be sad for me too (if I very did a garden).  Thank you for doing such a great job filling in for @dfish, Debbie.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I'm glad you are feeling better.  Don't over do the next few days, and let some of the other wives help.

@grapau27  Graham, best wishes for your cataract surgery tomorrow.  DH had both eyes done, and it made a difference.

@lindaler  Linda, glad you had a great visit and are now home safely.  Enjoy planning for your cruise.

@durangoscots  Good to know the deer know where to go to be safe during hunting season.

@Overhead Fred  Safe travels, and enjoy your visit with your SIL.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I also have a small "herd" of small elephant statues.  When we were in Argra, we bought a marble inlaid table, and I was given a marble inlaid elephant.  The gentlemen who gave it to me, said to always have the elephant facing an outside door for good luck.  An interesting note, to ensure we received the small table we picked out, DH was asked to sign his name on the underside of the table.  Hope the tornado watch was just that and nothing serious.

@StLouisCruisers  DH thought he thought he recognised the building you asked about, but I didn't and could not think of where could have been.

I have enjoyed all the pictures of elephants today.  Thank you.

Since we have been through the Panama Canal many times, we have been to today's port(s) many times, but several timeswere pre=digita.  When we leave the port area, we always take a ship's tour because so many times they have arrived back at the ship late due to road work or accidents.

We have done the mangrove cruise twice, been to San Jose, Sarchi, the cloud forest, a coffee plantation and done the tram in the rain forest.  All are interesting places to visit.

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I've never been to Puntarenas but have been to Puerto Caldera several times including April 15, 2017 on MS Zaandam.  It's quite close to Puntarenas where the Eurodam was docked.

eurodam.jpgI

It is a cargo port.  There's a small structure at the side that's purportedly a terminal there but there was no activity there:

eurodam.jpg

My tour included a short jungle cruise and a ride on a train that was originally used to transport produce to the port but now just a short scenic train:

train1.jpg

We did not seem to disturb wildlife going through the jungle and I "caught" this howler monkey:

howler.jpg

Here's another view of our train as we disembarked, about 20 minutes from the port.

train2.jpg

Roy

We did that tour in 2014 on the Veendam, and it's a great tour.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon.  The house is clean and now I can relax and respond to the Daily.

@kazu  Beautiful pictues of beautiful flowers,  I can understanx why you are unhappy with the arrival of fall.  After all the hars work to get the garden in shape, and then to have t\iu turn around and undo all the work would be sad for me too (if I very did a garden).  Thank you for doing such a great job filling in for @dfish, Debbie.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I'm glad you are feeling better.  Don't over do the next few days, and let some of the other wives help.

@grapau27  Graham, best wishes for your cataract surgery tomorrow.  DH had both eyes done, and it made a difference.

@lindaler  Linda, glad you had a great visit and are now home safely.  Enjoy planning for your cruise.

@durangoscots  Good to know the deer know where to go to be safe during hunting season.

@Overhead Fred  Safe travels, and enjoy your visit with your SIL.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I also have a small "herd" of small elephant statues.  When we were in Argra, we bought a marble inlaid table, and I was given a marble inlaid elephant.  The gentlemen who gave it to me, said to always have the elephant facing an outside door for good luck.  An interesting note, to ensure we received the small table we picked out, DH was asked to sign his name on the underside of the table.  Hope the tornado watch was just that and nothing serious.

@StLouisCruisers  DH thought he thought he recognised the building you asked about, but I didn't and could not think of where could have been.

I have enjoyed all the pictures of elephants today.  Thank you.

Since we have been through the Panama Canal many times, we have been to today's port(s) many times, but several timeswere pre=digita.  When we leave the port area, we always take a ship's tour because so many times they have arrived back at the ship late due to road work or accidents.

We have done the mangrove cruise twice, been to San Jose, Sarchi, the cloud forest, a coffee plantation and done the tram in the rain forest.  All are interesting places to visit.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.

Graham.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and happy Fall!  
@summer slopethat drink sounds intriguing! 
@grapau27 good luck tomorrow!  
@mamaofami now I can post and tell you I liked your anniversary picture, so glad you are getting help with the insurance maze.   
Cheers to business women!  
enjoy the day!  

BDCFFF5C-9C18-45C8-A023-CA24CB0AFC9C.jpeg

C68A4A91-7386-4CCA-A266-0428E76051FB.jpeg

Thank you Bennybear.

Graham.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Happy Fall! I appreciate businesswomen and elephants. I collect elephant statues (small ones) on my travels. I'll have to think about the quote.

I like lamb but have never cooked it; growing up my mother made lamb with a lot of garlic that was very good. I like the wine. I'll pass on the drink.

I have been to Puerto Arenas on my SA/Antarctica cruise on the Zaandam.

Not much going on today. Storms are expected this afternoon, and it's already windy. I'm still waiting on my new glasses ordered Sept 2. They were supposed to take 10 days. 

@dfish Welcome home.

@mamaofami I'm glad the insurance plan is settled, but it seems there are still other coverage issues. I hope it gets straightened out.

@Seasick Sailor I'm glad you're finally feeling better.

@grapau27 Prayers for your cataract surgery tomorrow. I'm about 8 weeks out from mine and oh my how much better I can see now.

@msmayor Lovely flowers.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe, wear your mask.

The Zaandam in Punta Arenas

492881045_002-12_24.18ManfredonpierPuntaArenasChile.thumb.jpg.3b270db1c257e5c08210c27d150cb6c0.jpg

A trip to the Nao Victoria Museum with replicas of Magellan's ship and the HMS Beagle

2022215199_013-12_24.18MagellansShipNaoVictoria.thumb.jpg.15ff94b98d86fbdebe2b211f807e2f31.jpg

757202412_015-12_24.18HMSBeaglereplicaMuseoNaoVictoriaPuntaArenasChile.thumb.jpg.e2390ea162e87375765a3f554e8b903e.jpg

Strait of Magellan and replica of Shackleton's James Caird ship

642214912_020-12_24.18StraitofMagellan.thumb.jpg.da68ef083b0eb0c4bcd2bcdd55b457e3.jpg

1702619058_024-12_24.18JamesCaird.thumb.JPG.4af6c4b18ddeb06bbda002af7219f2cd.JPG

View of Punta Arenas, Strait of Magellan and Tierra del Fuego in the distance

1768126978_038-12_24.18PuntaArenasStraitofMagellanTierradelFuego.thumb.JPG.1ba8035295c0132778697ff5d4ca6acf.JPG

Monument to Magellan in downtown Punta Arenas and interesting building

1453062911_041-12_24.18MonumenttoMagellanPuntaArenas.thumb.JPG.1dede63327dac08a98d037699d63bd33.JPG

1912085858_045-12_24.18InterestingbuildingPuntaArenas.thumb.JPG.2f4391d9ecd890ce9a92065845d010a2.JPG

It was Christmas Eve, so Santa was in Punta Arenas

1922892131_046-12_24.18SantainPuntaArenas.thumb.JPG.64c616a2d922b2b20777345bc8d6dbd7.JPG

Christmas Eve dessert on the Zaandam

1027981398_058-12_24.18ChristmasEvedessert.thumb.JPG.b662bd048bc74cd622c33f9981273cf2.JPG

Thank you so much for your kind words.

I'm pleased your cataract op has made a big difference for you.

Graham.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

This is a test.  Good morning everyone, and thanks for the Daily News.  Graham, I hope your cataract surgery is completely successful, and you can get some new eyeglasses.  Pat was thrilled with his, and now doesn’t need to wear glasses to drive.  However, every once in a while he forgets and puts on his reading glasses.  (There's no cure for that!)

I decided I had better start practicing posting on my devices, as I’m not taking my laptop when we travel, and there have been complaints about CC and the smaller devices. I did have to sign in on my phone, although it knew me yesterday.  Now I’ll try to post some pictures of Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica.  We were on Zaandam in SA.  

Our itinerary

D606B6BC-CB48-4F7A-8AC1-19B8A4F27812.jpeg.512c323e8ed179f41783a56ae71accf7.jpeg  we took a tour and saw lots of animals

DBB82832-4227-4A5A-960D-DAA2C99C0904.thumb.jpeg.23e62d3706e39af04124839724e6f926.jpeg

DE8F463E-9434-47E3-9176-7C22D951187A.thumb.jpeg.4baea6f44b2d172584ac7aac03d432fe.jpeg

351A90A4-F876-437B-98FC-B1D46D739C0D.thumb.jpeg.77b7d19f8e0177534729f9f4f8a74eaa.jpeg

477CCB0E-9DD3-46DA-B1B1-B4DA44DC2A37.thumb.jpeg.786d169fa4297dcfc516baf178fede25.jpeg

Thank you Ann.

Nice photos too.

Graham.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Finally, I meet someone who has heard of spiedies!   They are great, especially if you marinate them long enough.  A couple hours or overnight just doesn't do it.  

@lindaler  Welcome home!

@Seasick Sailor I'm glad you're feeling better.

@grapau27 Good luck with your cataract surgery tomorrow.  

@mamaofami I'm happy that you were able to find someone to help with the insurance mess.  It is deliberately complicated.  If you goof up and aren't covered, they don't have to pay.

Thank you Debbie.

Graham.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good afternoon everyone and Happy Wednesday. I took Craig to his cardio appointment this morning, just his regular 6 month exam to follow his “leaky” valve, and they are suggesting that he have a loop implant that lasts 3 years to monitor everything. I think this is a great idea and will hopefully monitor his lightheaded spells.  It’s a simple in office procedure. Much better than the temporary loop monitoring systems he has had before. 

Afterward we went to https://zona78.com/ for lunch. Not our #1 favorite but a very close second. This was mine after I ate a few pieces:

36AAA469-917A-4EBF-8708-56C00ED7782C.thumb.jpeg.125ba3ed17d373f0930c1eb851179675.jpeg

Sausage, mushrooms, fennel, olives, house made mozzarella, basil. Yum. Craig had his usual Margherita. 

Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. Prayers to those on the Care list. 

I love the pictures today of the elephants. How exciting it must be to see them in the wild. 

We have been to today’s port in 2000 on our Panama Canal cruise on the Volendam but don’t know where my printed pictures are. Craig took mostly video back then.  I know we went on a morning tour and then ate lunch. The restaurant looked very much like the one @Sir PMP posted. And Vanessa, @JazzyV, I’m really glad you posted your pictures even though it was a different Puntarenas. I loved the one of you at dinner in your Santa hat. 

Even though it is the Autumnal Equinox it doesn’t feel like that here, just the shortening of daylight. It’s 95 right now. 

Joy, @Seasick Sailor, I’m glad you feel better. Have a nice reunion. 

Debbie, @dfish, welcome home, we missed you. Happy to hear you enjoyed your cruise. Do you know if Maxine, @AncientWanderergetting home soon?

Did anyone watch Seth’s Tuesday Trivia on FB yesterday?  He answered a few questions about our upcoming cruise and what will replace Santa Barbara. Short answer— they don’t know yet. Supposedly they will notify us the end of this week. Could be a new port, could be longer time in an existing port, could be a sea day. So I know about as much as I did before. 😉

Have a great day everyone!

That sounds like a good idea for Craig's future treatment.

Best wishes always.

Graham.

• Like 6

@Quartzsite Cruiseryour mention of Sarchi rang a bell in my mind about a photo taken about an hour to 75 minutes after I took my last photo at the church and dancers.  We drove quite a distance and went into a souvenir shop with this colorful wagon outside.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLUJ-oSP-Qaux4n0uYsrHei?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332645627

With that distance maybe the earlier stop was in Puerto Caldera itself.  Thanks for the nudge!

A second photo of the church across from the town square where the dancers were, plus one inside shot.  That's all I took.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJhABSq_NS4iAqUplVQNLFh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1466191275

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJwP8PEpv4c7bCm-SIAjjsg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1466211992

I thought it was lovely inside.  

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1