The Daily for Wednesday September 22, 2021

richwmn

18 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks so much Sharon.

Graham.

15 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks very much Roy.

I really appreciate yours and everyone else's best wishes.

Graham.

@grapau27  Graham - i don’t know if you know this but you don’t need to post to every one individually.  You can multi quote just as I am doing here and for a number of posts.

If you click the button I’ve circled in green then you can quote as many people as you like.

7ABFD630-D127-4FC7-8B69-CAF926F23B94.thumb.jpeg.0585c8ec292af6633cf42d0bd83894c0.jpeg

Then on the bottom right hand corner you should see this:

812E18B1-718B-4964-82BA-522E8CEF2C63.thumb.jpeg.006fc628cfc2e37342390f71a66998d6.jpeg

However many plus signs you clicked where go into posts  will show as quote x posts and you can reply to each one individually on the same post.  

Just in case it is of help.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

@grapau27  Graham - i don’t know if you know this but you don’t need to post to every one individually.  You can multi quote just as I am doing here and for a number of posts.

If you click the button I’ve circled in green then you can quote as many people as you like.

7ABFD630-D127-4FC7-8B69-CAF926F23B94.thumb.jpeg.0585c8ec292af6633cf42d0bd83894c0.jpeg

812E18B1-718B-4964-82BA-522E8CEF2C63.thumb.jpeg.006fc628cfc2e37342390f71a66998d6.jpeg

However many plus signs you clicked where go into posts  will show as quote x posts and you can reply to each one individually on the same post.  

Thank you Jacqui.

I always like to thank everyone personally because they have kindly took the trouble to send me best wishes.

There has been so many that on the P&O daily  thread I did + quote several posts before I went to sleep.

Graham.

• Like 7

Good afternoon everyone, thanks for the Daily!  Super late to the party today, as it's been a busy day.  First of all I slept in because I woke in the night with a headache - which felt like a precursor to a migraine.  I took a couple of extra strength ibuprofen and returned to bed.  Thankfully it took the edge off so I was able to get back to sleep, but then I actually slept in until 8AM (I'm usually up at the crack of dark).   Happy Autumn one and all; I've been fortunate to have known many wonderful business women, and I love elephants.  

At 10, DH and I had appointments for pedis (I always make pedi appts for the 2 of us prior to cruising, and even though our cruise was cancelled, I figured we still needed to go).  DH responded with "But we're not cruising, why do I have to go?"  Just like a little kid.  My response was "So you don't look like a Clydesdale."  We went.  When the pedis were done, I had a gel nail fill, so that took up the rest of the morning.  DH returned to pick me up, and we stopped in to the nearby Dairy Queen for a quick lunch.  Talk about timing - we weren't there 10 minutes and suddenly the place was swarming with high school kids on their lunch break from the collegiate across the street.  It felt good to be surrounded by the excitement and fun they were having, but it felt even better to get into the quiet car when we'd finished our burgers.  LOL

After lunch we did our regular grocery shopping, now we're home with everything put in it's place and enjoying the warmth of the deck on the first day of autumn.  According to my FB memories, 3 years ago on this date, we had snow.  Thankfully it's just a memory, not happening today, as we're expecting a high of +26C today - a gorgeous day on the "frozen tundra".

@grapau27 best of luck to you and your cataract operation tomorrow; DH has had both of his done and has had no problems since.  It used to be such a big deal that you had to be flat on your back in bed and have your head sandbagged for 3 weeks (my grandfather had this in the 40's); now you're in an out in about an hour.  

@HAL Sailer OMG, can it get any cuter with that little trunk, and look at those tiny elephant feet!!!

I love today's menu suggestion, but DH doesn't care for lamb, so I'll be keeping my appetite for lamb till we settle ourselves onto a BHB.  We bought groceries today, including salmon fillets, which will be baked in foil with onion and lemon on the barbecue later today.  Along with dilled potatoes and fresh garden tomatoes (a gift from our neighbours), we'll be enjoying that on our deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay well, wash your hands, wear your masks, be safe and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon.  The house is clean and now I can relax and respond to the Daily.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I also have a small "herd" of small elephant statues.  When we were in Argra, we bought a marble inlaid table, and I was given a marble inlaid elephant.  The gentlemen who gave it to me, said to always have the elephant facing an outside door for good luck.  An interesting note, to ensure we received the small table we picked out, DH was asked to sign his name on the underside of the table.  Hope the tornado watch was just that and nothing serious.

Lenda

I didn't know about facing an outside door, although I think mine face the front door. I do always get ones with the trunk up, which is supposed to be good luck.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Jacqui.

I always like to thank everyone personally because they have kindly took the trouble to send me best wishes.

There has been so many that on the P&O daily  thread I did + quote several posts before I went to sleep.

Graham.

If you use that method, you are quoting them individually.  Each one gets a job acknowledged and an email notification.

Just trying to help.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good afternoon everyone, thanks for the Daily!  Super late to the party today, as it's been a busy day.  First of all I slept in because I woke in the night with a headache - which felt like a precursor to a migraine.  I took a couple of extra strength ibuprofen and returned to bed.  Thankfully it took the edge off so I was able to get back to sleep, but then I actually slept in until 8AM (I'm usually up at the crack of dark).   Happy Autumn one and all; I've been fortunate to have known many wonderful business women, and I love elephants.  

At 10, DH and I had appointments for pedis (I always make pedi appts for the 2 of us prior to cruising, and even though our cruise was cancelled, I figured we still needed to go).  DH responded with "But we're not cruising, why do I have to go?"  Just like a little kid.  My response was "So you don't look like a Clydesdale."  We went.  When the pedis were done, I had a gel nail fill, so that took up the rest of the morning.  DH returned to pick me up, and we stopped in to the nearby Dairy Queen for a quick lunch.  Talk about timing - we weren't there 10 minutes and suddenly the place was swarming with high school kids on their lunch break from the collegiate across the street.  It felt good to be surrounded by the excitement and fun they were having, but it felt even better to get into the quiet car when we'd finished our burgers.  LOL

After lunch we did our regular grocery shopping, now we're home with everything put in it's place and enjoying the warmth of the deck on the first day of autumn.  According to my FB memories, 3 years ago on this date, we had snow.  Thankfully it's just a memory, not happening today, as we're expecting a high of +26C today - a gorgeous day on the "frozen tundra".

@grapau27 best of luck to you and your cataract operation tomorrow; DH has had both of his done and has had no problems since.  It used to be such a big deal that you had to be flat on your back in bed and have your head sandbagged for 3 weeks (my grandfather had this in the 40's); now you're in an out in about an hour.  

@HAL Sailer OMG, can it get any cuter with that little trunk, and look at those tiny elephant feet!!!

I love today's menu suggestion, but DH doesn't care for lamb, so I'll be keeping my appetite for lamb till we settle ourselves onto a BHB.  We bought groceries today, including salmon fillets, which will be baked in foil with onion and lemon on the barbecue later today.  Along with dilled potatoes and fresh garden tomatoes (a gift from our neighbours), we'll be enjoying that on our deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay well, wash your hands, wear your masks, be safe and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Thank you Gerry.

I had a phacovitrectomy op on my other eye in February where I had an Epiretinal Membrane pealed from my eyes macular and the consultant also fitted an OCL while also doing a cataract op.

The difference was amazing and why I have been in touch regularly with the eye hospital to get the cataract op on my other eye which hopefully will be done tomorrow.

Graham.

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, kazu said:

Jacqui thank you for this tip!!  I learned something new today. 

• Like 10

32 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I didn't know about facing an outside door, although I think mine face the front door. I do always get ones with the trunk up, which is supposed to be good luck.

I didn't know about the trunk being up was also good luck. I just checked and all the trunks are up.

BTW, I liked the picture with the Christmas hat and shirt.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 11

5 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Happy Fall! I appreciate businesswomen and elephants. I collect elephant statues (small ones) on my travels. I'll have to think about the quote.

I like lamb but have never cooked it; growing up my mother made lamb with a lot of garlic that was very good. I like the wine. I'll pass on the drink.

I have been to Puerto Arenas on my SA/Antarctica cruise on the Zaandam.

Not much going on today. Storms are expected this afternoon, and it's already windy. I'm still waiting on my new glasses ordered Sept 2. They were supposed to take 10 days. 

@dfish Welcome home.

@mamaofami I'm glad the insurance plan is settled, but it seems there are still other coverage issues. I hope it gets straightened out.

@Seasick Sailor I'm glad you're finally feeling better.

@grapau27 Prayers for your cataract surgery tomorrow. I'm about 8 weeks out from mine and oh my how much better I can see now.

@msmayor Lovely flowers.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe, wear your mask.

The Zaandam in Punta Arenas

492881045_002-12_24.18ManfredonpierPuntaArenasChile.thumb.jpg.3b270db1c257e5c08210c27d150cb6c0.jpg

A trip to the Nao Victoria Museum with replicas of Magellan's ship and the HMS Beagle

2022215199_013-12_24.18MagellansShipNaoVictoria.thumb.jpg.15ff94b98d86fbdebe2b211f807e2f31.jpg

757202412_015-12_24.18HMSBeaglereplicaMuseoNaoVictoriaPuntaArenasChile.thumb.jpg.e2390ea162e87375765a3f554e8b903e.jpg

Strait of Magellan and replica of Shackleton's James Caird ship

642214912_020-12_24.18StraitofMagellan.thumb.jpg.da68ef083b0eb0c4bcd2bcdd55b457e3.jpg

1702619058_024-12_24.18JamesCaird.thumb.JPG.4af6c4b18ddeb06bbda002af7219f2cd.JPG

View of Punta Arenas, Strait of Magellan and Tierra del Fuego in the distance

1768126978_038-12_24.18PuntaArenasStraitofMagellanTierradelFuego.thumb.JPG.1ba8035295c0132778697ff5d4ca6acf.JPG

Monument to Magellan in downtown Punta Arenas and interesting building

1453062911_041-12_24.18MonumenttoMagellanPuntaArenas.thumb.JPG.1dede63327dac08a98d037699d63bd33.JPG

1912085858_045-12_24.18InterestingbuildingPuntaArenas.thumb.JPG.2f4391d9ecd890ce9a92065845d010a2.JPG

It was Christmas Eve, so Santa was in Punta Arenas

1922892131_046-12_24.18SantainPuntaArenas.thumb.JPG.64c616a2d922b2b20777345bc8d6dbd7.JPG

Christmas Eve dessert on the Zaandam

1027981398_058-12_24.18ChristmasEvedessert.thumb.JPG.b662bd048bc74cd622c33f9981273cf2.JPG

Maybe I'll go a bit off topic here.  I did the same tour on the Zaandam in 2017 (The return to San Diego from Buenos Aires after the last Antarctic cruise of the season.  It was my only visit there although it was supposed to be the second after Crystal Symphony a year earlier.  That cruise did go to Antarctica and Punta Arenas was supposed to be our major resupply point after Antarctica, but we could not stop due to 50-knot winds.  Our next stop was Puerto Montt, a tender port.  As I recall, the next few days we had a few "Interesting" menu choices.  We did get permission to arrive in Puerto Montt a day early.  There were already 2 other ships in port that day, Ocean Princess and NCL Sun, with 2 tender docks and 2 slips which made for some crowded conditions:

whatship.jpg

Here's a wider view of the tender dock:

whatship.jpg

They were able to truck some (I don't think all) of our supplies up to Puerto Montt, and we did load some supplies with the aid of a landing craft:

freshfood1.jpg

freshfood2.jpg

Roy

• Like 21

51 minutes ago, kazu said:

If you use that method, you are quoting them individually.  Each one gets a job acknowledged and an email notification.

Just trying to help.  

I haven't received an email notification from CC in a couple of years. One day they just stop sending them, and that was it.  Email marked on all.

I just never expect to see one again, there is nothing else to check off. They are marked on the 'bell' on the top of the page and it will sound when I am visiting the page. Just no email. Not complaining - just stating the facts.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the tip. I never knew how to multi quote. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Jacqui thank you for this tip!!  I learned something new today. 

Happy it was of benefit 🙂   I’m no expert, but I tend to play until I find a way around and when CC changed their forum @POA1 posted a lot of tips and I took note and tried 😉

10 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Thanks for the tip. I never knew how to multi quote. 

Glad it will be of benefit to some 👍 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Maybe I'll go a bit off topic here.  I did the same tour on the Zaandam in 2017 (The return to San Diego from Buenos Aires after the last Antarctic cruise of the season.  It was my only visit there although it was supposed to be the second after Crystal Symphony a year earlier.  That cruise did go to Antarctica and Punta Arenas was supposed to be our major resupply point after Antarctica, but we could not stop due to 50-knot winds.  Our next stop was Puerto Montt, a tender port.  As I recall, the next few days we had a few "Interesting" menu choices.  We did get permission to arrive in Puerto Montt a day early.  There were already 2 other ships in port that day, Ocean Princess and NCL Sun, with 2 tender docks and 2 slips which made for some crowded conditions:

We had a similar experience on our South America/Antarctica cruise.   We were supposed to get fresh fruit and vegetables in Ushuaia, but the story was that the shipment was rotted, so it was refused.  A quick order went in for Punta Arenas, but we had to skip that port due to a dock strike.  So, our next chance was Puerto Montt.   In the meantime, they were rationing the spinach.   That was apparently the only vegetable left.  We each got a teaspoonful at dinner.  

In Puerto Montt we did get our shipment of fruit and vegetables.  But a couple crates fell off into the water so the crew had to go fishing for them.  They did manage to get them back!  

@grapau27 I agree about the mussels.  Your Sarah is a lucky girl to be able to have them often.  I did make scallops today with a tomato, cucumber, and red onion salad.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

We had a similar experience on our South America/Antarctica cruise.   We were supposed to get fresh fruit and vegetables in Ushuaia, but the story was that the shipment was rotted, so it was refused.  A quick order went in for Punta Arenas, but we had to skip that port due to a dock strike.  So, our next chance was Puerto Montt.   In the meantime, they were rationing the spinach.   That was apparently the only vegetable left.  We each got a teaspoonful at dinner.  

In Puerto Montt we did get our shipment of fruit and vegetables.  But a couple crates fell off into the water so the crew had to go fishing for them.  They did manage to get them back!  

@grapau27 I agree about the mussels.  Your Sarah is a lucky girl to be able to have them often.  I did make scallops today with a tomato, cucumber, and red onion salad.  

Thanks Debbie.

I had Scallops for starter 4 times on P&O Iona speciality restaurant Epicurean last week.

Graham.

IMG_20210917_183037.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 15

23 minutes ago, Happily@Sea said:

I haven't received an email notification from CC in a couple of years. One day they just stop sending them, and that was it.  Email marked on all.

I just never expect to see one again, there is nothing else to check off. They are marked on the 'bell' on the top of the page and it will sound when I am visiting the page. Just no email. Not complaining - just stating the facts.

Weird.

I don’t get a bell just an email notification.

Try switching the notification option - ie - immediately - if you are on immediately, change it to daily and then if it works, switch back.  It’s worked for a few people.  Good luck.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

In honor of Elephant Appreciation Day, the view from our bungalow at Old Tukai Lodge in Kenya's Amboseli National Park and, from our twice-daily game drives, of female elephants sheltering a less than month old between them.

(From our 1996 combined African Safari & Islands of the Indian Ocean cruise offered by Micato Safaris and the Orient Line's Marco Polo.)

-Melisa

IMG_20210922_144029390.jpg

IMG_20210922_143547775.jpg

Staying at Ol Tukai Lodge in Amboseli was one of the things we lost when the GWV on the Amsterdam went south (literally) in March 2020. That was the cancellation that hurt the most. I’m glad you made it there and enjoyed your stay. Thank you for the pictures!

• Like 7

An important birthday today for any Hobbit/Lord of the Rings Fans.

Happy Birthday Bilbo & Frodo Baggins.

Sept. 22

22 marks an important date on the Shire calendar. It is the birthday of the hobbits Bilbo and Frodo Baggins, two fictional characters in J. R. R. Tolkien's popular books The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. In the books, Bilbo and Frodo were born on Sept. 22 — Bilbo in the year 2890 and Frodo in 2968 of the Third Age.
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just a quick hello from the Nieuw Amsterdam. We are enjoying a relaxing Sea Day in place of Sitka.

It did get a little rough from about 8:30-11:30 this morning, but not as rough as the first couple of days. The captain told us we avoided some 17' waves by going behind Baranof Island instead of going to Sitka.

I am including a couple pictures. The first is a shot of the full moon just after sunrise:

IMG_2845.thumb.JPG.6c7454956d73658edd214790df10d746.JPG

The second picture is the southern tip of Baranof Island as we head back out to sea about 8:30 this morning:

IMG_2846.thumb.JPG.67e0fcd39030eaa84c3c56261e81f1b8.JPG

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2