The Daily for Wednesday September 22, 2021

richwmn

27 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Staying at Ol Tukai Lodge in Amboseli was one of the things we lost when the GWV on the Amsterdam went south (literally) in March 2020. That was the cancellation that hurt the most.

Oh, that would hurt! So many well made plans went asunder in 2020 (and since)...

We thoroughly enjoyed both Ol Tukai and the Kilaguni Lodge in the Tsavo National Park -- although they were vastly different in lodging style and experiences. 

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

OMG, can it get any cuter with that little trunk, and look at those tiny elephant feet!!!

Well...  we were in Kenya during the height of birthing season, so we saw many cute animal babies. 

It isn't Warthog Appreciation Day (nor do warthogs likely get their own day), but baby warthogs are so darn cute that I couldn't resist sharing. The babies looked like 'shoeboxes on tiny stilts' as they ran circles around the adults. And, like the elephants, warthog parents guarded their little ones -- in a very different and determined manner!IMG_20210922_173847288.thumb.jpg.45c9fd4f15f41704e8b32077c9d79417.jpg

IMG_20210922_173913218.thumb.jpg.1c07720a9fed9deb2f1e644edd9062d6.jpg

Dailyites, thank you for letting me share these memories as DH no longer remembers nor can reminisce about our many wonderful trips.

-Melisa

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, Happily@Sea said:

I haven't received an email notification from CC in a couple of years. One day they just stop sending them, and that was it.  Email marked on all.

I just never expect to see one again, there is nothing else to check off. They are marked on the 'bell' on the top of the page and it will sound when I am visiting the page. Just no email. Not complaining - just stating the facts.

You can reset these notifications as you wish.  Some threads, like roll calls, I opt for email notifications.  You can also set how often you get the email.  I turned off the sound a while back, it would chime when I was away from the computer.

• Like 5

Good evening!  I have been reading each day, but haven't been "up" to posting.  Had a very frightening situation over the weekend (extended family member w/mental illness) and I now have a protection order in place.  At almost 80 years old, this is something I never expected.

I have really enjoyed so many of the beautiful photos of the interesting ports/places outlying.  After hearing about the Costa Rica port, not sure it is something I want to see on my Panama Canal cruise in January (If I don't cancel it.)

Autumn seems to have arrived in Western Colorado, or at least it has cooled down for a little bit.  Even the trees in our seniors community are changing color.  Should be peak Aspen foliage season in about a week.  

I had an interesting experience yesterday.  I was with family touring some of the wineries that are in our local area.  We tasted a "Key Lime" wine, which the lady at the winery said tasted like "Margarita Lite!"  A bottle is now residing in my wine rack.  Have to figure out a fun time to share it with some others for a dinner!

I rejoice with everyone who is sharing happy news, and include those on the care list in my prayers.

Have a good night, everyone.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Jake, @Crazy For Cats the picture you posted this morning of Jasper (I hope I remember the name correctly!) reminded me of our cats, sadly no longer with us.  Especially if it was a warm, just out of the dryer baked of towels.

@HAL4NOW beautiful pictures!  Sorry you missed Sitka.

@HAL Sailer the baby warthogs are so cute!  Weird but they remind me of my little dog, same color and long skinny legs, but thank goodness he doesn't have tusks.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

We finally received the email notification from HAL about our itinerary October 10th on the Koningsdam.  The Santa Barbara day will now be a sea day, the next day--which was to be a sea day--we will now arrive in San Francisco at 8:00am, overnight in SF, and the next day instead of leaving SF at 11:00pm we will be leaving at 7:00pm. 

I am very happy with the change and excited to have 2 days in SF now.  Someday I'll get to Santa Barbara and Monterey.

Meant to add:  However, I'm disappointed that the shore excursions for the extra SF day will not be available for 7 - 10 days.

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 13

Thanks for all the daily information, photos and humour.

@grapau27 best wishes for a successful outcome from the cataract operation tomorrow afternoon.

Will Pauline drive you home after the operation?

We have a very pleasant sunny spring day, temperature 18 C.

Auckland continues to have new community cases of the Delta variant each day.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, cruzn single said:

Good evening!  I have been reading each day, but haven't been "up" to posting.  Had a very frightening situation over the weekend (extended family member w/mental illness) and I now have a protection order in place.  At almost 80 years old, this is something I never expected.

I have really enjoyed so many of the beautiful photos of the interesting ports/places outlying.  After hearing about the Costa Rica port, not sure it is something I want to see on my Panama Canal cruise in January (If I don't cancel it.)

Autumn seems to have arrived in Western Colorado, or at least it has cooled down for a little bit.  Even the trees in our seniors community are changing color.  Should be peak Aspen foliage season in about a week.  

I had an interesting experience yesterday.  I was with family touring some of the wineries that are in our local area.  We tasted a "Key Lime" wine, which the lady at the winery said tasted like "Margarita Lite!"  A bottle is now residing in my wine rack.  Have to figure out a fun time to share it with some others for a dinner!

I rejoice with everyone who is sharing happy news, and include those on the care list in my prayers.

Sorry about the scary situation this weekend.

Puerto Caldera is a container port, but there is a shuttle to Puntarenas which is a beach town and safe to walk around the area where the shuttle drops you off.  The ship also could dock in Puntarenas.

Costa Rica is a beautiful country and worth taking a tour.  I would strongly advise a ships tour. There is almost always traffic, road construction or accidents that delay returning to the ship.  The ship is used to this and always waits for their tours.  There are half day tours to areas close by and all day tours to San Jose, Sarchi and other interesting places.

Lenda

• Like 14

5 hours ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for all the daily information, photos and humour.

@grapau27 best wishes for a successful outcome from the cataract operation tomorrow afternoon.

Will Pauline drive you home after the operation?

We have a very pleasant sunny spring day, temperature 18 C.

Auckland continues to have new community cases of the Delta variant each day.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

Thank you Erewhon.

Pauline is coming with me and will sit in the car with a book and a picnic.

When I had my phacovitrectomy op in February I was admitted into the eye hospital for 5 hours so Pauline drove home but fortunately we only live 10 minutes drive from the eye hospital.

Graham.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Glad all is well. And kudos to you for scooping up a bottle of that wine. It sounds very interesting. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Oh my heavens, that would be frightening indeed.  So glad you were able to get it resolved 👍. That wine sounds like a lovely find 🙂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruzn single said:

Thanks for encouragement.  The CC gremlins hit my I-pad, and Mac book!  Cleared history and logged back in, and seems to be working!  G-r-r-r-r-!!!!!

Yikes!  So sorry to hear of your troubles with a family member.  Hope things work out for you!  Stay safe! 

19 hours ago, kazu said:

@grapau27  Graham - i don’t know if you know this but you don’t need to post to every one individually.  You can multi quote just as I am doing here and for a number of posts.

If you click the button I’ve circled in green then you can quote as many people as you like.

7ABFD630-D127-4FC7-8B69-CAF926F23B94.thumb.jpeg.0585c8ec292af6633cf42d0bd83894c0.jpeg

Then on the bottom right hand corner you should see this:

812E18B1-718B-4964-82BA-522E8CEF2C63.thumb.jpeg.006fc628cfc2e37342390f71a66998d6.jpeg

However many plus signs you clicked where go into posts  will show as quote x posts and you can reply to each one individually on the same post.  

Just in case it is of help.

Thanks for the detailed posts on this.  I for one really appreciate when people do this, otherwise the threads become very lengthy and difficult to navigate. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Thanks for the detailed posts on this.  I for one really appreciate when people do this, otherwise the threads become very lengthy and difficult to navigate. 

Thanks.  I was trying to help as I think it does make the threads easier to read.  👍 

• Like 1