Splendor anyone?

boblerm

The thread in this forum entitled "Anyone on the Splendor sailing out of Southampton?" has been locked by the host, presumably due to the masking discussion that was deemed inappropriate in light of CC policy

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/announcement/473-please-read-covid-related-discussion/

Many of us who are at home daydreaming of our next Regent cruise were enjoying reading about the Splendor.  So I thought that I would try to get that discussion going again by starting a new thread, inviting anyone that is currently cruising on Splendor, and those that have disembarked the previous cruise to post any comments about they are enjoying the cruise, and fill us in on any details.  Any little tidbits would be most welcome!

Thanks

Bob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I will be the first to respond..

We are just back from the 11-22 Sept sailing around the British Isles. We really couldn't fault a thing (and we are picky!) We thought Regent did an amazing job balancing safety and keeping amenities open. We had no problem at all with the mask mandate (wear one when walking around inside, and take it off when eating and drinking pretty much covered it).

In England, the mask mandate is no longer in place, so we felt safer on the cruise than we do in everyday life at the moment, plus everyone was double-vaccinated and tested. Yes, a few people might not have been wearing their masks quite correctly while on the coaches, and this has clearly annoyed some passengers, but as we were on excursions where mask wearing once we were off the coach was at the discretion of the general public themselves, it didn't really bother us too much.

All in all, we had a terrific time and would do it again in a heartbeat.

• Like 17

Ross4356 - I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. There is a great atmosphere on board, John the CD is doing a great job (really enjoyed his show). The food, service and entertainment were all fantastic. The ship is absolutely beautiful.  I can't think of anything that we didn't enjoy. With the ship only half-full, the service is even better than usual. Enjoy!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, DaisyUK said:

Ross4356 - I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. There is a great atmosphere on board, John the CD is doing a great job (really enjoyed his show). The food, service and entertainment were all fantastic. The ship is absolutely beautiful.  I can't think of anything that we didn't enjoy. With the ship only half-full, the service is even better than usual. Enjoy!

Thanks DaisyUK. It is especially nice to know that the atmosphere is upbeat on board; I was concerned that the low passenger count might lead to a bit of a down vibe, but apparently, that is not the case. 😊

Please let us all think positive and look forward to cruising again.  I envy those already on the Splendor and look forward to my 18 day sailing with her in January. And the other 3 bookings we have for sailings in 2022.

Thank you Daisy UK for your post. 

2 hours ago, zak477 said:

Please let us all think positive and look forward to cruising again.  I envy those already on the Splendor and look forward to my 18 day sailing with her in January. And the other 3 bookings we have for sailings in 2022.

Thank you Daisy UK for your post. 

Ditto - we're on for a week in January as well (shortest cruise we've taken in a LONG time but just happy to be back!) and frankly, it's the only thing that's keeping me sane right about now.   🙂

• Like 5

I guess everyone on the current cruise are way too much fun to have time to post!😄

Here is some info that was posted on Facebook

"At last on Splendor and it's fantastic. Only 315 passengers on-board so feels a little empty. However its just good to be back after 2 years. It feels so covid safe without the feeling of overkill. "

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Did anyone on the first cruise tell us how many passengers they had? Wondering if they will slowly increase each time.

I would think they'd have to - I can't see how they can break even with half-full ships...these initial sailings have to be more of a 'proof-of-concept' rather than revenue generation for Regent.

31 minutes ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Did anyone on the first cruise tell us how many passengers they had? Wondering if they will slowly increase each time.

12 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

I would think they'd have to - I can't see how they can break even with half-full ships...these initial sailings have to be more of a 'proof-of-concept' rather than revenue generation for Regent.

DaisyUK said that the first sailing was about half full (ship capacity is 750).

Regent is not the only line sailing with very low passenger counts,  the Crystal Symphony and Serenity have been sailing with counts in the 200s, on larger ships than the Splendor.

• Like 1

I hope some respond to your thread. I enjoy hearing about what is going on on the ship and what the tours are like especially when they get to Europe.
When Regent announced the Sept start, they also said that they would start with  the Splendor at reduced capacity, gradually adding the ships back and increasing the number of passengers. I think it would be a little strange sailing with just about 50% capacity on Regent’s small ships. It would be nice on the main line ship for sure.

We are to sail on the  90+ day Viking cruise on the Navigator in June and have to pay the final by Jan. We will be eager to hear if things are going well if they will drop the mask requirement on board the ship by then.  

Edited by cwn

5 hours ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

NCLH executives announced at their last earnings call that all 28 of the ships (Regent, Oceania and NCL) would each start at 50-60% capacity, and then increase by 20% each month thereafter.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pudgesmom said:

NCLH executives announced at their last earnings call that all 28 of the ships (Regent, Oceania and NCL) would each start at 50-60% capacity, and then increase by 20% each month thereafter.

Only if they can sell that much; obviously Splendor has not been able to sell 50% of their capacity first two cruises.

• Like 3

So would this mean that on Mariner's first "restart cruise" (Dec 18-Jan 5 through the Panama Canal), that I should only expect to see 350 passengers (including myself and DW) or "less" on this cruise (50% 0f 700 passenger capacity)??  Regards

27 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

So would this mean that on Mariner's first "restart cruise" (Dec 18-Jan 5 through the Panama Canal), that I should only expect to see 350 passengers (including myself and DW) or "less" on this cruise (50% 0f 700 passenger capacity)??  Regards

Well, 50-60% would be 350-420 passengers maximum if they stick with their projections. 

I read this as each company NCL, Oceania and Regent will start their first ships at 59-60% and increase capacity on each ship sailing by 20% each month going forward. So since the Splendor started in Sept by Dec all Regent ships the could be at full capacity. I think they will all have at least started by then.The wording is rather vague like most things NCL/Regent puts out. I guess it depends on if NCL means each one of the 28 ships or just when the brands start sailing their first ship.

Of course the uncertainty of open ports and mask requirements in ports and at sea will effect people willingness to spend big bucks to cruise. I don’t think the ships requiring 1OO % vaccinated passengers and masks while at sea will be able to fill all berths easily. JMO though and all I read tends to be clear as mud.

10 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Everyone is an expert!

Facts; just the facts.  The first two sailings have departed and those onboard stated their passenger loads.

can, voyager doesn't resume sailing until February.

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mrlevin said:

Facts; just the facts.  The first two sailings have departed and those onboard stated their passenger loads.

You have no idea if the passenger loads were restricted or people didnt book these cruises. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Thanks, I couldn’t remember the last ship to resume sailing. I wonder if it will be limited capacity still. Regent may be limiting right now but if all goes well and there is a waitlist could be, we will see a fuller ship. It will be interesting to see how full the WC is. I really like the new Itinerary. Doing the time change at too will be good. We would do it if things were more normal. 

Actually I am surprised the Splendor has as many passengers as it does(but I agree less than 50%) on these first cruises if the reports from those on board are right. The passengers had to jump though so many hoops to get on board, I am glad it first one went well.

• Like 2

I was sharing what I heard on the August 6 conference call. Here is a portion of the transcript regarding return to capacity. He only says what they will have as a maximum at the beginning of each relaunch. They discuss deposits and sales in another part of the call. Please excuse my previous error; its not 50-60% for each ship, it is 60-70% max. Highlights are mine.

Brandt Montour -- JPMorgan -- Analyst

Hey. Good morning, everyone. Thanks for taking my questions and congratulations on the official relaunching. And then, Mark, maybe you alluded to this in your prior comment. But I want to understand, Frank, how you're thinking about occupancies while COVID is still sort of among us and you're 100% vaccinated? Can you get to a full ship under that scenario without masks? And is that -- is that safe and is that in your plans, and has that changed at all in the last few weeks because of Delta?

Frank J. Del Rio -- President and Chief Executive Officer

Yeah. As Mark mentioned, we're starting every vessel in the 60% to 70% range of load factor. That's not anyone's requirement, it's not a CDC mandate. It's something we think is a responsible way to start operations, train our crew, get our feet wet, so to speak. If all goes well, after 30 days, we'll increase that to 80% load, and after 60 days, we will resume trying to fill the vessel as in pre-pandemic level.

Edited by Pudgesmom
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pudgesmom said:

I was sharing what I heard on the August 6 conference call. Here is a portion of the transcript regarding return to capacity……….

Frank J. Del Rio -- President and Chief Executive Officer

Yeah. As Mark mentioned, we're starting every vessel in the 60% to 70% range of load factor. That's not anyone's requirement, it's not a CDC mandate. It's something we think is a responsible way to start operations, train our crew, get our feet wet, so to speak. If all goes well, after 30 days, we'll increase that to 80% load, and after 60 days, we will resume trying to fill the vessel as in pre-pandemic level.

Thanks for sharing. I had not seen this. So it is each ship. I see he apparently sidestepped anything about masks.

It will an interesting spring. I hope will have lots of reports from the cruisers!