Don's Rant on Canadian Government Approach to Cruising

Robjame

5 hours ago, Fouremco said:

What an embarrassing and ill thought out rant. I think he got his talking points from the other Donald.  

I agree his style is folksy and annoying.

Having said that, we need to cut the guy some slack. He is a vlogger, not a politician and as such he projects function over form. We may not like the message, but Don is very clear about how he feels about  Canada's actions - or inactions. I would respect his opinions and expertise over anyone on this forum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robjame said:

I agree his style is folksy and annoying.

Having said that, we need to cut the guy some slack. He is a vlogger, not a politician and as such he projects function over form. We may not like the message, but Don is very clear about how he feels about  Canada's actions - or inactions. I would respect his opinions and expertise over anyone on this forum.

I've seen dozens of his videos, and they have had a good deal of very useful cruise information. He should stick to what he knows, as he was clearly out of his depth with this misguided rant.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

I've seen dozens of his videos, and they have had a good deal of very useful cruise information. He should stick to what he knows, as he was clearly out of his depth with this misguided rant.

Totally agree. I got worried when I saw the title of this thread.

It's a good reminder that he, and other cruise vloggers are using revenue from YouTube to pay for their vacations.

So when we watch their videos we are basically funding their vacations.

YouTube has turned into over the top, clickbait required videos.

It's hard to weed through the rants and rambles to find good quality information.

• Like 2

I haven't been watching Don's videos all that long, maybe the past 6-8 months? Sometimes they are filled with some good information; remember when he got stuck in Florida for several days because his return PCR test was screwed up? For most of us that would be devastating but hey, he's got the time and apparently the money so whatever.

However, this rant regarding Alaska was akin to a toddler tantrum. So much misinformation and misdirected anger. Did the Canadian gov't handle the cruise port closure properly? Probably not. Are they solely to blame for the loss of revenue to Alaska? Most certainly not. Don needs to research his videos more I would say and be less dramatic.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, bcwife76 said:

Don needs to research his videos more I would say and be less dramatic.

For sure. Watching all his face scrunching once I turned off the audio, it seemed to me that he might also need a laxative.  

Edited by lots-of-km2
  • Haha 2

That was the first, ...... and last time I'll waist even a minute listening to that guy.  I am forced to listen to F level students all the time at my university.   Life's too short to listen to another one. 

(Can you tell I just finished marking the first assignment of the semester?)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, bcwife76 said:

I haven't been watching Don's videos all that long, maybe the past 6-8 months? Sometimes they are filled with some good information; remember when he got stuck in Florida for several days because his return PCR test was screwed up? For most of us that would be devastating but hey, he's got the time and apparently the money so whatever.

However, this rant regarding Alaska was akin to a toddler tantrum. So much misinformation and misdirected anger. Did the Canadian gov't handle the cruise port closure properly? Probably not. Are they solely to blame for the loss of revenue to Alaska? Most certainly not. Don needs to research his videos more I would say and be less dramatic.

Actually he got stuck in Florida because even though he is a travel agent he didn't know he could go to the airport and pay alot of money to get a rapid PCR test.

He also didn't know as a travel agent that booking a flight so close to getting off the ship would be a bad idea if things got held up.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, K_e_short said:

Actually he got stuck in Florida because even though he is a travel agent he didn't know he could go to the airport and pay alot of money to get a rapid PCR test.

He also didn't know as a travel agent that booking a flight so close to getting off the ship would be a bad idea if things got held up.

So really....we shouldn't consider using his services 🤣🤦

• Like 2

You may not like his style etc. but what he said is accurate in IMO.  Many felt that the Canadian Gvt ban on cruise ships in Cdn waters was way too excessive or Draconian but the issue that Alaska has is with their own governments regulations namely the archaic PSVA requiring that foreign flagged ships visit a foreign port etc.  Canada could have made an exception to allow ships to make a service call in Victoria if they had really wanted to but chose not to.  When the US passed a temporary exception for this season, I was one of many that thought that Canada's decision will come back to bite us in the a**.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, macmax said:

You may not like his style etc. but what he said is accurate in IMO.  Many felt that the Canadian Gvt ban on cruise ships in Cdn waters was way too excessive or Draconian but the issue that Alaska has is with their own governments regulations namely the archaic PSVA requiring that foreign flagged ships visit a foreign port etc.  Canada could have made an exception to allow ships to make a service call in Victoria if they had really wanted to but chose not to.  When the US passed a temporary exception for this season, I was one of many that thought that Canada's decision will come back to bite us in the a**.

Canada allowing technical stops in Victoria would not have made one iota of difference as the PVSA does not allow technical stops. Consequently, in spite of all the anti-Canadian rhetoric, the only viable solution was the one taken: legislate a temporary exemption to the PVSA for ships sailing to Alaska.

The suggestion that Canada should not have had any ban completely ignores the reality that Canadian ports and citizens had to be protected from rampant COVID in the US. Note that a good number of Caribbean countries have banned cruise ships on and off over the summer. Cayman Islands have been closed to cruises for some months now, and won't reopen until next January, but you don't see US Senators or a certain Canadian vlogger ranting about those decisions. If the US feels that closing our nautical border was so very wrong, then maybe they should open up the land border.

• Like 16

Celebrity lost his results and therefore paid for his extra days in the hotel, all food, new flight/cost difference, and new covid test.

He said that he booked his test at FLL that day, but with PCR they only guarantee results in 48 hours. He couldn’t book his flight until he had his results. And it was unlikely he would get a flight the same day he got his results back. So that is why he had to stay on FLL for extra days.

Makes perfect sense to me.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

Celebrity lost his results and therefore paid for his extra days in the hotel, all food, new flight/cost difference, and new covid test.

He said that he booked his test at FLL that day, but with PCR they only guarantee results in 48 hours. He couldn’t book his flight until he had his results. And it was unlikely he would get a flight the same day he got his results back. So that is why he had to stay on FLL for extra days.

Makes perfect sense to me.

FLL does rapid PCR tests 🙂 

https://www.covidfll.com/appointments

https://www.broward.org/airport/passengers/flights/advisories/pages/default.aspx

and BTW I have subscribed to him and watch his videos daily as his information is sometimes interesting and useful.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Canada allowing technical stops in Victoria would not have made one iota of difference as the PVSA does not allow technical stops. Consequently, in spite of all the anti-Canadian rhetoric, the only viable solution was the one taken: legislate a temporary exemption to the PVSA for ships sailing to Alaska.

The suggestion that Canada should not have had any ban completely ignores the reality that Canadian ports and citizens had to be protected from rampant COVID in the US. Note that a good number of Caribbean countries have banned cruise ships on and off over the summer. Cayman Islands have been closed to cruises for some months now, and won't reopen until next January, but you don't see US Senators or a certain Canadian vlogger ranting about those decisions. If the US feels that closing our nautical border was so very wrong, then maybe they should open up the land border.

Personally I prefer a small bite in the a**, which can be a bit painful,  to someone ripping my lungs out!

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, mom says said:

I've never particularly cared for his vlogs; I find others are better presenters.

Hi mom - so who do you follow? I am curious to know the vlogers that you find who are better presenters - particularly Canadian Cruise vlogers?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Robjame said:

Hi mom - so who do you follow? I am curious to know the vlogers that you find who are better presenters - particularly Canadian Cruise vlogers?

Thanks.

I don't care what nationality they are. I care about content and accuracy in a clear and succinct manner. I've subscribed to both La Lido Loca and Tips for Travellers. IMO both Tony and Gary do an excellent job, although each has a different focus. I also watch a lot of Emma Cruises videos (my daughter subscribes to her) for a different perspective.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mom says said:

I also watch a lot of Emma Cruises videos (my daughter subscribes to her) for a different perspective.

I like Emma, too. She is probably the best of the bunch, though mostly UK.

I watch Tony though he is almost as annoying as Don and, of course they are good friends.

Have you tried Parodeejay?

Gary I am not big on. I think he jumped the shark when he had videos on how to beat the Cruise lines for freebies and upgrades. 

When I said Canadian, I meant Canadian content. I was hoping you had a lead on someone who could give us a Canadian perspective and content.

It is great to watch these cruise vlogers until we can get back on board.

• Like 2

Emma is probably my current favourite too. The best mix of information, commentary and fun.

Gary can be good, although he is veering towards clickbait territory lately. He cruises on such a wide number of lines so at least there is a lot of variety. 

I have no use for either Don or Tony. 

And even though I don't cruise with RCCL, I find the Royal Caribbean Blog videos to be really well done and often have tips that apply to all cruises. (I can only watch a couple in a row though, his voice is a little too excited for me to take in larger doses.) 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

ParoDeeJay are my absolute favourites!

Me too. I just love watching their videos. Such a natural fun vibe to them. No pretension.  I just discovered Don a few months ago but  now we really get no info from him. Just whining and ranting. I don't mind La Lido Loca. 

• Like 2

Who cares about what Don ZERO has to say about anything.

Would not follow him would never book as much as a subway ticket through him.

Cannot imagine why someone would put their ignorance on public display for all customers and potential customers to see.  What on earth was he thinking??

• Like 4
  • Haha 1