Princess Provided Testing Sites

cltnccruisers

From the Princess Health Protocol FAQs.

We understand that it may be difficult for some of our guests to find testing that can provide results within a 2-day turnaround. Accordingly, for guests who did not receive their test results within 2 days prior to their embarkation, we are working to set up mobile testing sites near our embarkation ports to conduct COVID-19 testing the day before, or day of, your cruise departure.

When contacted, Princess is being vague on whether this is actually going to happen.  Anyone hear anything positive?

In our case we cruise 11/27 making our test window Thanksgiving and Black Friday.  They are also our travel days so a home test isn't practical.  Best shot is scheduling a test with CVS but the Princess option may be our fall-back position.

3 minutes ago, franktown said:

Princess has not setup mobile testing sites as of yet.  Carnival cruise line has said that they have given up the idea because of the logistics involved.

Understandable.  With only a 2 day window pax waiting to be tested at the port would likely be the lion's share.  Having Thanksgiving as one of the 2 is really problematic though.

17 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

Understandable.  With only a 2 day window pax waiting to be tested at the port would likely be the lion's share.  Having Thanksgiving as one of the 2 is really problematic though.

I think they should have testing available at the port for anyone whose 2-day test results are not received before embarkation. They can provide paid testing for a few unvaccinated passengers & think they should do the same thing for vaccinated passengers whose test results have been delayed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Astro Flyer said:

I think they should have testing available at the port for anyone whose 2-day test results are not received before embarkation. They can provide paid testing for a few unvaccinated passengers & think they should do the same thing for vaccinated passengers whose test results have been delayed.

I'm not holding my breath for Princess to actually set this up.  There's a big difference testing a few folks and publicly setting up facilities that could invite hundreds or more who just decide not to bother getting tested on their own as a matter of course.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cltnccruisers said:

I'm not holding my breath for Princess to actually set this up.  There's a big difference testing a few folks and publicly setting up facilities that could invite hundreds or more who just decide not to bother getting tested on their own as a matter of course.

I agree but as I wrote they should test a few vaccinated passengers who have proof that they were tested & did not receive their results before embarkation. I think that’s a better way to treat a few vaccinated & tested passengers than denying boarding to get their cruise fare in FCC. For my cruise next month some who were flying to the ship canceled their cruise but would have kept it if there was a backup testing option like they provide for unvaccinated passengers. Those tests did not require a mobile testing facility but were provided by Princess. NCL is providing free rapid testing at the port for all passengers but not for Princess or other CCL lines for a few passengers whose test results are delayed.

• Like 1

That would be really useful for international travellers who have to fly over to cruise. The US will be opening up to us UK'ers from November and we are scratching our heads about how we satisfy the pre-cruise test protocols which are different to what we had in the UK (where Princess tested us at the port).

Edited by dides

40 minutes ago, dides said:

That would be really useful for international travellers who have to fly over to cruise. The US will be opening up to us UK'ers from November and we are scratching our heads about how we satisfy the pre-cruise test protocols which are different to what we had in the UK (where Princess tested us at the port).

The CDC dropping from 3 days to 2 may not seem like much and normally wouldn't be a big problem for us but our first test day is Thanksgiving and the second is Black Friday.  They are also our travel days.  So Friday or via Princess are the only viable choices.

When Princess tested you at the port were there a lot of pax getting done or just a few?  If a lot then perhaps Princess could use the same process to get over any logistical hurdles here.

15 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

When Princess tested you at the port were there a lot of pax getting done or just a few?  If a lot then perhaps Princess could use the same process to get over any logistical hurdles here.

All the passengers had to be tested at the port so that's 2,000+ for each sailing at current capacity. The Carnival UK companies (Cunard, Princess UK and P&O) contracted the testing out to a company called Prenetics. Cars parking with the port went through a drive-thru, passengers arriving by other means were tested at the terminal (or in a tent outside). You could proceed through pre-checkin while awaiting the results and show proof of a negative test (usually received by text message within 30-40 minutes) before collecting your medallions.

Edited by dides

2 minutes ago, dides said:

All the passengers had to be tested at the port so that's 2,000+ for each sailing at current capacity. The Carnival UK companies (Cunard, Princess UK and P&O) contracted the testing out to a company called Prenetics. Cars parking with the port went through a drive-thru, passengers arriving by other means were tested at the terminal (or in a tent outside).

Doesn't seem to difficult as long as capacity stays reduced.  We only had 1,200 on a Celebrity cruise a few weeks ago which was great from our perspective.  So the question becomes, are the two Princesses on speaking terms and will our have the sense to talk to your?  🙂

• Haha 1

When Princess last changed the testing requirements, they sent me an email regarding my October cruise out of Los Angeles on Majestic Princess...and it included a line about "teaming up with Quest Diagnostics" to provide Covid testing.  Great!  I went to Quest Diagnostics' website to check out what they offered.

Well...they had a number of testing sites.  The closest one to my house was in Palmdale...about a 1-2 hour drive out of the city each way depending on traffic...The next closest site was in Corona...Yeah...even worse including a drive clear through the Los Angeles metro area from one end to the other...  Anyone who knows Southern California knows that both of these locations are about as far away from the port as one can get before fading out into the desert.  Seems no one at Princess actually vetted this firm before proudly announcing they had a partnership...Maybe they should look into a deal with someone with a facility within very close proximity to the ports they actualy sail out of?   Lots of clinics and other facilities near LA Harbor...Set something up with someone there...and when we arrive, as we plan to, the day before, we'll just get the test then...Instead, we'll scramble for somthing near home that can take us on Thursday and promise us results before we sail Saturday...

2 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

When Princess last changed the testing requirements, they sent me an email regarding my October cruise out of Los Angeles on Majestic Princess...and it included a line about "teaming up with Quest Diagnostics" to provide Covid testing.  Great!  I went to Quest Diagnostics' website to check out what they offered.

Well...they had a number of testing sites.  The closest one to my house was in Palmdale...about a 1-2 hour drive out of the city each way depending on traffic...The next closest site was in Corona...Yeah...even worse including a drive clear through the Los Angeles metro area from one end to the other...  Anyone who knows Southern California knows that both of these locations are about as far away from the port as one can get before fading out into the desert.  Seems no one at Princess actually vetted this firm before proudly announcing they had a partnership...Maybe they should look into a deal with someone with a facility within very close proximity to the ports they actualy sail out of?   Lots of clinics and other facilities near LA Harbor...Set something up with someone there...and when we arrive, as we plan to, the day before, we'll just get the test then...Instead, we'll scramble for somthing near home that can take us on Thursday and promise us results before we sail Saturday...

The way the FAQ reads they would be setting up mobile sites near port.  No specifics on the testing company other than that they don't take insurance and would charge a fee.  Our local CVS has a mobile trailer parked in their lot.  I also was tested by Eurofin for a golf tournament and they had 4 tents set up in a lot.  Both were pretty efficient.  Either seems like they could work until I start thinking about how congested the Ft Lauderdale port area is - at least in my limited experience.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

It would be helpful to know how many vaccinated passengers are testing positive.  What happened to temperature checks?

TBH I dont think temp checks would work. I had a breakthrough case...mild symptoms, but enough to make me think to get tested. Never had a fever. 

• Like 1

Take a BinaxNOW test kit with you.  My son did one in his hotel room last weekend in Chicago before flying home to CA.  It takes about 20 minutes, and you get immediate verification in the phone app, and also emailed.  You can buy the test kits in 2 or 3-packs:

https://store.optum.com/shop/category/tests-and-devices/covid-19-home-tests/

These are supervised by an emed.com health professional on a video call, so you have to have an internet connection, which almost all hotel rooms have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pcur said:

Take a BinaxNOW test kit with you.  My son did one in his hotel room last weekend in Chicago before flying home to CA.  It takes about 20 minutes, and you get immediate verification in the phone app, and also emailed.  You can buy the test kits in 2 or 3-packs:

These are supervised by an emed.com health professional on a video call, so you have to have an internet connection, which almost all hotel rooms have.

I'll look into it but I'm concerned about the availability of emed.com with the first of our test days being Thanksgiving.

Thanks.

48 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Is this one doing tests? It is close to Calabasas

Located in: Rolling oaks plaza
Address: 77 Rolling Oaks Dr Suite 120, Thousand Oaks, CA 91361

They weren't when I checked--which was right after I got the email from Princess...

There were lots of sites in their system, but most not doing tests with short turnarounds for travel.  

They may have added more since, but I've chosen to ignore that route...

Either I'll do the Binax thing...or...I'll just go into Kaiser Permanente--my health care provider.  I called them a few days ago and asked about it--and they said they can do it on a short turnaround for travel.  I'll call a couple more times betwen now and the cruise and make sure that's the case...

43 minutes ago, pcur said:

Did a little research and this is looking more and more viable.  Not too expensive for a 3 pack so I'm thinking get that and use one for familiarization then the others on Thanksgiving or Black Friday from the hotel.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

I appreciate everyone chiming in on this thread.  But the fact remains that Princess isn't doing enough to help passengers get tests in a timely manner.  

I am still holding out hope that Princess will provide this service...on the ship...for a back to back.  

With the first cruise out of San Pedro in a few days, there has not been an update regarding "testing at the terminal".  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

They weren't when I checked--which was right after I got the email from Princess...

There were lots of sites in their system, but most not doing tests with short turnarounds for travel.  

They may have added more since, but I've chosen to ignore that route...

Either I'll do the Binax thing...or...I'll just go into Kaiser Permanente--my health care provider.  I called them a few days ago and asked about it--and they said they can do it on a short turnaround for travel.  I'll call a couple more times betwen now and the cruise and make sure that's the case...

When I checked earlier, there were no Quest COVID-19 testing locations in Ventura, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Monterey, San Benito, or Santa Cruz counties. We're in SLO County and the nearest locations are in Bakersfield, a miserable drive which I refuse to take. The nearest location if we drive north is Mountain View in Santa Clara County. I wish Princess had used a bit more due diligence when they selected Quest, because the coverage holes in California are immense. We got our results back from CVS in one day for our cruise last week, but I don't think I can always expect this type of turnaround.

Edited by shellbeachjim

2 minutes ago, shellbeachjim said:

When I checked earlier, there were no Quest COVID-19 testing locations in Ventura, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Monterey, San Benito, or Santa Cruz counties. We're in SLO County and the nearest locations are in Bakersfield, a miserable drive which I refuse to take. The nearest location if we drive north is Mountain View in Santa Clara County. I wish Princess had used a bit more due diligence when they selected Quest, because the coverage holes in California are immense. We got our results back from CVS in one day for our cruise last week, but I don't think I can always expect this type of turnaround.

We've used CVS twice and turnaround was only 3 or 4 hours.  You're not being forced to use Quest.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

We've used CVS twice and turnaround was only 3 or 4 hours.  You're not being forced to use Quest.

Yes, I'm well aware of that.

I'm not sure where CVS sends the test to, but it certainly isn't done locally, so 3-4 hours isn't possible here. Also, the sole CVS offering the tests near me only offers the PCR test, not the antigen test. Before anyone asks, there are even fewer Walgreens in this area, and the nearest testing location is even further away than the CVS.