Passport

Ilovesailaway

2 minutes ago, Ilovesailaway said:

Does a US citizen need a US Passport to travel to Bermuda on a cruise? The cruise sails from the US, spends 3 days in Bermuda, and returns to the US. 

As long as it is returning to the same US port, no a passport is not required unless the cruise line requires it. A US citizen over 16 may present a birth certificate if born in the states or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Naturalization certificate coupled with a government issued ID. Under 16 doesn't require the ID.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2021 at 12:44 PM, philpcruiser said:

Maybe wise to carry a passport 'just in case'.  Say you miss the ship, or need to fly home in an emergency.  Just saying.

Air travelers from Bermuda to the US clear customs and immigration at L.F. Wade airport (BDA). I’m certain that they have procedures to accommodate that type of situation. 

7 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Air travelers from Bermuda to the US clear customs and immigration at L.F. Wade airport (BDA). I’m certain that they have procedures to accommodate that type of situation. 

They do, but it's an enormous, time consuming hassle. If you have to ditch your cruise and fly back, presumably your'e doing it because you don't have time for an enormous, time consuming hassle. 

In nearly all cases they will have to go to the US Consulate to either have a replacement passport made or an emergency passport issued which can take at least a day (or more if it's a weekend) before entering the US. 

On 10/16/2021 at 8:29 AM, princeton123211 said:

They do, but it's an enormous, time consuming hassle. If you have to ditch your cruise and fly back, presumably your'e doing it because you don't have time for an enormous, time consuming hassle. 

In nearly all cases they will have to go to the US Consulate to either have a replacement passport made or an emergency passport issued which can take at least a day (or more if it's a weekend) before entering the US. 

It all depends on what one's definition of "enormous, time consuming hassle" is, I guess. I've not read anything that has led me to conclude that it meets my definition of that term. In any event this is only something one must consider when choosing to travel without a passport. When we traveled without passports we had nothing back home that we would ditch our cruise for since they were traveling with us. The regulations that give us the closed loop exception also have provisions for the waiving of the passport requirement for emergencies or for humanitarian reasons, so an emergency passport may not even be necessary (and they are typically issued in the matter of an hour or less, barring extenuating circumstances. As for weekends, well, all of the Bermuda itineraries I've seen have the stop in the middle of the week so that likely isn't a consideration.)