Another Death on the Virtuosa

LouChamp

32 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

Another person died from the Virtuosa cruise that had a serious covid outbreak. It would be nice if the

cruise lines disclosed cases.  

Can you share the source information, please?

There were negative advance tests and testing at the pier, but it looks double vaccinations requirements had been dropped for that cruise, although have subsequently been reinstated. 

Albeit a tragedy, that is an old story from about 3 weeks ago and remains the only death 'associated' with Virtuosa. There is no firm evidence his covid was contracted on this cruise, the family admitted that he was unwell during the cruise and did not report anything regarding such to the Medical Centre on board....instead they kept 'mum' on the illness. There is much that for me does not add up in the family account.

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Albeit a tragedy, that is an old story from about 3 weeks ago and remains the only death 'associated' with Virtuosa. There is no firm evidence his covid was contracted on this cruise, the family admitted that he was unwell during the cruise and did not report anything regarding such to the Medical Centre on board....instead they kept 'mum' on the illness. There is much that for me does not add up in the family account.

Nice catch. I saw it was dated Sept. 15th but it’s about the earlier passenger death. 

1 hour ago, publicpersona said:

Scroll where? As I said, there are no new articles about "another" death on the Virtuosa on the web site you named. There was reference to the incident that was being discussed a couple weeks ago. Where was the "another" one?

2 passengers died, one on the ship one after the cruise. Cause of death for the passenger who died on the ship was undisclosed. 

10 hours ago, styles27 said:

2 passengers died, one on the ship one after the cruise. Cause of death for the passenger who died on the ship was undisclosed. 

That seems to be what was documented two weeks ago - one death COVID related after the cruise, and one during the cruise for reasons unknown. It is not unusual for deaths to occur on cruises. That's why ships have a morgue.

But the question I'm asking is .. what news was reported yesterday (22 Sep) that prompted @LouChamp to start a thread about "Another Death on the Virtuosa".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, publicpersona said:

That seems to be what was documented two weeks ago - one death COVID related after the cruise, and one during the cruise for reasons unknown. It is not unusual for deaths to occur on cruises. That's why ships have a morgue.

But the question I'm asking is .. what news was reported yesterday (22 Sep) that prompted @LouChamp to start a thread about "Another Death on the Virtuosa".

I didn’t know about either death until I saw this post and researched it myself. 

I don’t see where @LouChamp said it was reported yesterday dated (22 Sep). 

24 minutes ago, styles27 said:

I don’t see where @LouChamp said it was reported yesterday dated (22 Sep).

Really? He started a brand new thread yesterday entitled "Another Death on the Virtuosa". And you didn't get the impression that it was yet another than the ones discussed two weeks ago?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

Really? He started a brand new thread yesterday entitled "Another Death on the Virtuosa". And you didn't get the impression that it was yet another than the ones discussed two weeks ago?

No I didn’t.  As I said I didn’t know about any deaths before this thread was posted and I wasn’t aware it was discussed two weeks ago. 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 3:54 PM, LouChamp said:

Another person died from the Virtuosa cruise that had a serious covid outbreak. It would be nice if the

cruise lines disclosed cases.  

People die on cruise ships all the time. I could care less who died or why. I do not like to hear on the news every darn day on how many now have covid and how many died. What is the purpose of it? Do you fell better when you hear it? It does nothing for me but upsets me to even hear it. Will that information help me in any way? NO!  All it does is scare people and does nothing more. 

• Like 3

On 9/22/2021 at 11:54 PM, styles27 said:

If you google it there are multiple sources on this story. This man was vaccinated but had lymphoma but family said he was cleared by his md to travel on the cruise. 
Very sad. May he Rest In Peace. 
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/grandad-onboard-cruise-ship-scots-24982160.amp

I’m afraid there has been another, a lady passed away on 21st Sept.  after contracting COVID inboard.  Her son has posted about it onTwitter and Facebook.   

So sad and MSC need to be honest about  what actually went on onboard in August. 

Edited by K8T
Spelling

10 minutes ago, ChC said:

I could not care less about death neither. 

However, amid the pandemic, MSC needs to be transparent and communicate with public if there is a legitimate concern. From the sad episode we can see MSC has not been doing what it should be doing: be honest and transparent. One just need to read reviews on TA to see how many people are complaining about their concern on that particular voyage and some of them actually caught Covid onboard (or suspect they caught it onboard).

What happened on MSC in that particular voyage is a shamble, is a classic example of how not to manage a cruise during pandemic. Lessons need to be learnt. And the first step is to inform public or public health bodies what exactly happened so the public can make their own mind on this episode. If there was an issue, MSC needs to admit it and then deal with it. Clearly there was an issue. MSC dealt with it in the next voyage without admitting or investigating it. That is bad for a company. It means this company is not trustworthy.

Exactly.  I agree wholeheartedly. 

I disembarked Virtuosa in Southampton on the 11th September - my first experience of MSC Cruises except for working with MSC Meraviglia.   To be clear, I work in the cruise industry (even today, was working with a lovely little expedition ship, like Virtuosa, brand new) and in a hospital emergency department.   Sadly, as others have said above, people die on cruise ships.   In a "normal" season, we see around three or four and countless ambulances for sick / injured.

As for Virtuosa, yes, there were things that MSC could have done better, and having had a reply to feedback from them, they know that.

I seem to have been fortunate not to have seen these "huge queues" at embarkation, disembarkation or on board the ship.   In fact, reading some of the postings on here and on TA, I seem to have been on a different ship.    The only irresponsible or rude behaviour I witnessed was by passengers.  She has 10 restaurants, 21 bars and heaven knows how many lifts / staircases.  Common sense dictates to come back at a less busy time or go to a different venue.   

• Like 6

17 hours ago, K8T said:

I’m afraid there has been another, a lady passed away on 21st Sept.  after contracting COVID inboard.  Her son has posted about it onTwitter and Facebook.   

So sad and MSC need to be honest about  what actually went on onboard in August. 

WHY? Will it make you fell better? What good will it do for anyone?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

WHY? Will it make you fell better? What good will it do for anyone?

There will be people who were on that sailing who may have been unaware of the fact that MSC appear to have failed to inform those cruising that there was or has been an outbreak onboard.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, showingdiva said:

I disembarked Virtuosa in Southampton on the 11th September - my first experience of MSC Cruises except for working with MSC Meraviglia.   To be clear, I work in the cruise industry (even today, was working with a lovely little expedition ship, like Virtuosa, brand new) and in a hospital emergency department.   Sadly, as others have said above, people die on cruise ships.   In a "normal" season, we see around three or four and countless ambulances for sick / injured.

As for Virtuosa, yes, there were things that MSC could have done better, and having had a reply to feedback from them, they know that.

I seem to have been fortunate not to have seen these "huge queues" at embarkation, disembarkation or on board the ship.   In fact, reading some of the postings on here and on TA, I seem to have been on a different ship.    The only irresponsible or rude behaviour I witnessed was by passengers.  She has 10 restaurants, 21 bars and heaven knows how many lifts / staircases.  Common sense dictates to come back at a less busy time or go to a different venue.   

Thank you very much for this kind of inside information. In any case, I am pretty sure they got some nice medical services and rooms on board. The problem is that they cant handle lots of people at once, this is like the main issue they have