The Daily for Thursday September 23, 2021

richwmn

10 minutes ago, msmayor said:

@kazu, onion jam is delightful...almost as good as bacon jam!!  And thanks to you I learned how to multi-quote today!  

I too really appreciated this info,  but as I had already posted I couldn’t seem to use the quote when I was editing!  

I find the thread gets overly long and unwieldy at times,  this really helps.  I usually try hard not to post two in a row.   

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 13

Home from Colorado and a busy time with the grandsons-especially the 7th birthday party with 10 noisy little boys! But fun. And it was lovely with low 80's and a gentle breeze most days.  Portobellos are great but not so sure about adding onion jam. @grapau27Graham, the drops for 3 weeks are the worst part of the cataract procedure IMO. Glad to hear it went well.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone am really  I am getting annoyed at CC. I usually have my coffee in a comfy chair in my family room and read through this thread and reply, but no go on my ipad anymore so I have to move into the bedroom and use my desktop. What's up with that?

We're expecting lots of rain in New Jersey today along with flash floods. Last time a storm came through, 96 homes down the street from me were flooded out. None of the homes around here have basements, so the water really does a number when it wants to.

Yesterday I managed to organize lots of the papers that were accumulating on my des, bed, and dresser. Still more to go today.

The news about Sam is really good. His warafin levels are up where they should be, he made eggs in the rehab's kitchen yesterday  and he says he's learning how to balance a tray so he can use the brand new Bar b q we bought right before he got sick. His ambitions are mighty and that motivation is helping him. His car is just sitting in the garage and due for inspection, but I can't get near the driver's seat because the kid's put a box spring and some other things against the wall in the garage. Since the car isn't going anywhere it will have to wait a while.

The info about the booster shots is so confusing. Since I got J and J in June, I figure I can wait till they come out with some advise on that.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Carol, paperwork can be overwhelming at times. If we have let it accumulate too much, I find I have to take a break after a while or one of two things start to happen. I either make decisions to start keeping everything or start throwing it all away.

It's great to hear that Sam is doing so well.

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I haven't played checkers in a very long time; I think we'll have to introduce the DGS to the game when we get together.  Dogs in politics is an interesting scenario, as they like to please everyone.  Cats, on the other hand .  .  .    In honour of UK National Fitness day, I think I'll go for a walk around the block.

After all we did yesterday, late in the afternoon we realized our fountain was down to a trickle and it kept tripping the GFI plug.  DH spent a couple of hours taking things apart, checking wiring, and re-plugging things in.  He got everything working again, but is still uncertain as to what really happened.  All we know is that the northern robins are stopping by, using the top part of the fountain as their personal spa on their way south.

It's a beautiful fall day here on the "frozen tundra" with temperatures going up to about 16C (60F); at this time of year we can fluctuate anywhere between 0 and 28 in a matter of days, so we take each one as it comes.  Frankly, we'd love some of the rain that has been happening in Florida and Georgia, as it sounds like you've had way too much.   We haven't been to today's port, so look forward to more photos of that beautiful part of the world.

Today I'm heading out for lunch with a friend; I'll pick up sandwiches and drinks from a deli and we'll meet in a park on her lunch break.  It's such a beautiful time of year, we're going to enjoy the outdoors as long as we can.

I'm not a fan of today's menu suggestion; it's the texture, not the flavour.  If I'm having a hamburger, I want it to feel like hamburger, not like liver.  LOL  I love Roy's alternate, and realized we haven't had French toast in a very long time, so I've taken some bacon out of the freezer and we'll be having breakfast for dinner tonight.  And wine.

@JAM37 so glad you and DH had "the talk" and came to the understanding that the projects can wait until his health has been restored.  Sometimes men think they're  actually Superman in disguise, and it hurts to realize they're not.

@mamaofami happy to hear Sam is making great progress.

@grapau27wishing you the best of luck today with your procedure.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together to cheer on all who are on the celebration list.  Stay well, be safe, wear your masks, wash your hands, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Gerry, you are absolutely right. Other than thinking he is Superman, he still thinks he's in his 30's. I have to keep reminding him that he is 60! 😔🙂

52 minutes ago, garlictown said:

😉I'm late to the 'party' because I attended a going away one for my Dutch friends...besides moving, I found out they are taking the Oct. 6 cruise on the🚢 Eurodam but aren't part of CC. Wonder if they'll run into Tony and Martha??🤔

We've visited Dravuni Island twice and both times donated school supplies when visiting the classrooms. 📝📚

When I read today's quote, I thought of the 🎶 song by Tak Talk called It's My Life

🙏Prayers to all in need and wishing Graham @grapau27a successful surgery.

👍Thank you to Rich @richwmnfor The Daily and to Roy @rafinmdfor both the Care and Celebration Lists!

Katie

FB_IMG_1630850412163.jpg

Katie, I am always looking for  .

@kazuThanks again for the tip...I'm trying it out here. 😀

@grapau27Wonderful to hear you are home and surgery went well.

@AncientWandererWelcome back. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, POA1 said:

So, Richard Nixon's Cocker Spaniel, Checkers, has his own day? That's cool. It's also true, because it's on the interwebs.

https://www.presidentialpetmuseum.com/blog/richard-nixon-checkers/

nixon-checkers.jpg

Yes, he does! From timeanddate.com:

September 23 is Checkers Day. The unofficial holiday is not about the board game but has a political origin. The holiday commemorates a speech given by American President Richard Nixon on this day in 1952 as a Vice Presidential candidate.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

From our Amsterdam South Pacific cruise in 2015From our Amsterdam South Pacific cruise in 2015

Day 23 - Dravuni, Fiji

Dravuni Island is in the Kadavu Island group of Fiji about 40 from the capital of Suva on Viti Levu in Fiji where we were yesterday.

Our day was absolutely perfect.  Upper seventies, clear skies, sunshine with a nice breeze.  And Dravuni, well, it was South Pacific paradise.

Dravuni is a small island, about two miles long and part of a group of mountainous islands that are lush with tropical vegetation and each is circumscribed with white sand beaches.  The island group is protected from the heavy surf by a large reef that surrounds them.  To get here the Captain had to sail through a small, unmarked hole in the reef - apparently a storm knocked out the channel markers a few years ago so to help us navigate a few locals motored out in their small boats to mark the opening in the reef for the Amsterdam.

The island itself is home to a small village of about 200.  They live in simple homes with tin roofs that are clustered near the beach and surround a traditional open-sided thatched roof community house that is complete with a large bowl for making kava.

The Amsterdam passengers tendered over to a small floating dock right on the beach.  We were free to walk around, visit the village, hike to the top of the tallest peak, visit the school or enjoy a good swim in tropical waters that were so clear you could see the bottom from the tender for quite a ways as we came in.

The small school has its own building complete with desks and the other things one would expect to find in a school.  I was struck by the poster on the wall of the international road signs wondering how this would mean anything to a child brought up in a place that only has narrow paths and the only motorized vehicles are boats.  Many folks from the ship brought school supplies and/or donated to a fund that the teacher is saving to take the children to visit Suva as most have never been off the island.

As Gene, our cruise director said this morning, this is the real South Pacific.

The Amsterdam was anchored in the middle of this group of lush green mountainous bumps in the clear blue waters.  As we prepared to leave, from my vantage point in the crow's nest, I could see the small boats on their way out to mark the clear channel for the Amsterdam.  One of the small boats, with four island men out for the ride, motored quite close to our ship so that they could get photos on an iphone camera - they all waved.

What a day on this stunning trip.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, msmayor said:

@kazu, onion jam is delightful...almost as good as bacon jam!!  And thanks to you I learned how to multi-quote today!  

I have had neither and now have two things to try 😉 

Glad the multi quote helped you 👍 

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Happy to report that we just saved well over a 1000$ on a hopefully upcoming cruise to Japan again next fall.  I’m hoping that one gets to go.  It’s not HAL but the price is substantially less than our last HAL Japan cruise so it looks good.   Stay safe everyone.  

That’s fabulous, Brenda!

1 hour ago, JAM37 said:

@kazuThanks again for the tip...I'm trying it out here.

And you did very well 🙂 

@grapau27good to hear all went well 👍 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, kazu said:

I have had neither and now have two things to try 😉 

Glad the multi quote helped you 👍 

That’s fabulous, Brenda!

And you did very well 🙂 

@grapau27good to hear all went well 👍 

Thank you Jacqui.

My eye is still dilated with a slight haze but I can distance read words on the TV with that eye when before the op I could not with that eye.

Graham.

• Like 12

47 minutes ago, arzz said:

From our Amsterdam South Pacific cruise in 2015

Day 23 - Dravuni, Fiji

Dravuni Island is in the Kadavu Island group of Fiji about 40 from the capital of Suva on Viti Levu in Fiji where we were yesterday.

Our day was absolutely perfect.  Upper seventies, clear skies, sunshine with a nice breeze.  And Dravuni, well, it was South Pacific paradise...

What a beautiful narrative of your day on Dravuni! Thanks for sharing your experiences and taking us along to a place many may never visit.

-Melisa

• Like 12

Good morning, but only just,  I’ve had a busy morning getting ready for our guests who are arriving tomorrow.  I made a big lasagna for dinner tomorrow, my cousins will feed them Saturday, we’ll go for brunch at the golf club on Sunday, and then they head back to Seattle.  Had to do some cleaning, too, and now that Pat is back from golf, we’ll open up the sofa bed in his office.  

Today the test is posting from my iPad.  I know I don’t have all my photos on it, so I will have to try something current.  That will be alright if I can do that from the ship.  

this is the box of grapes a friend gave me last week to make grape jelly.  I sent him 12 jars and kept 6.5672EECA-D5F6-41AA-9608-AA0AA110B360.thumb.jpeg.46c2f4ff1f01c5510ea63e6d914bc8d1.jpeg

It’s not political, but I have a dog story.  DS came over with puppy Oskar yesterday and said that on Monday a woman had walked into the opticians where he works with a dog that looked just like Oskar, and as they got closer he noticed that even the leash was similar.  And the dog started wagging.  The woman asked “are you Neil?”  And when he said yes, she handed over the dog!   This Good Samaritan had found a lady who had fallen and was concussed, holding the dog, and when the ambulance arrived she requested someone take the dog across town to Neil at work.  The injured lady was Neil’s partner’s mother who had been walking the dog for them when they are both at work at the same time.  So the story had a happy ending and his DMIL is home and feeling better.  

Graham, glad the cataract surgery went well.  

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I have a dog story.  DS came over with puppy Oskar yesterday and said that on Monday a woman had walked into the opticians where he works with a dog that looked just like Oskar, and as they got closer he noticed that even the leash was similar.  And the dog started wagging.  The woman asked “are you Neil?”  And when he said yes, she handed over the dog!   This Good Samaritan had found a lady who had fallen and was concussed, holding the dog, and when the ambulance arrived she requested someone take the dog across town to Neil at work.  The injured lady was Neil’s partner’s mother who had been walking the dog for them when they are both at work at the same time.  So the story had a happy ending and his DMIL is home and feeling better.  

Wow!  That is a wonderful story with a very happy ending ♥️. Love it 👍 

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

It’s not political, but I have a dog story.  DS came over with puppy Oskar yesterday and said that on Monday a woman had walked into the opticians where he works with a dog that looked just like Oskar, and as they got closer he noticed that even the leash was similar.  And the dog started wagging.  The woman asked “are you Neil?”  And when he said yes, she handed over the dog!   This Good Samaritan had found a lady who had fallen and was concussed, holding the dog, and when the ambulance arrived she requested someone take the dog across town to Neil at work.  The injured lady was Neil’s partner’s mother who had been walking the dog for them when they are both at work at the same time.  So the story had a happy ending and his DMIL is home and feeling better.  

Now, THAT'S a feel good story if I ever heard one.  I love good samaritans!

• Like 11

Hello Dailyites! I read most days and those I miss, I do go back and catch up. You are truly an inspiring bunch of people: celebrating victories large and small, yet showing incredible resilience and empathy with challenges, with some of those being quite daunting.

And along with that, there are food and beverages to be reminded of or perhaps try out. Faraway places to put on The List -- or perhaps recall from almost-forgotten memories. And I had no idea there were so many special days! Nixon's dog! Really? But along with it all, fabulous photos, hysterically funny cartoons & memes. No wonder this is the greatest stop on CC.

We have possible good news and some ... not bad, but other ... news.

The Other is that we have sort of joined the Dead Appliance Club. Our HVAC decided to pack it in over the weekend. We suspected this was on the horizon, but had hoped that day was further away. The current system isn't that old, but it was put in by the lowest bidder on new construction during The Great Recession. A little wrinkle to getting a new system -- in addition to sticker shock -- is that HVAC is like the auto industry and needs some of those pesky chips that have gone AWOL. Thankfully, it all happened AFTER all our summer heat with feels like 105F temps. When everything will be available for installation is anyone's guess. Stewing about it doesn't help. The current system can limp along while things are somewhat moderate. Ahhhh. As we used to say when living overseas, Part of the Rich Tapestry of Life. And yes, wine definitely helps, LOL!!

The Possible Good News is that we have booked a cruise for 2021. I think reading the Live threads from the Alaska cruises energized us. We are so hoping this happens. This will be our first Holiday sailing and some friends will be on our first leg of the B2B. These are same friends we had hoped to sail with last December. Then on an April TA. When HAL actually processes our final payment, I will screw up my courage and ask to be put on the Future Cruise Listing!

To all of you, huge and multiple Thank You's. You all contribute to making our world a better place.

-Cat

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Enjoying another day in Kona! Each morning I mean to take a short walk before the heat of the day but somehow coffee, a good book and the view delay the effort. We are finding golf courses with nice driving ranges, delicious meals from DD - last night we had ‘Hawaiian plate’ for supper, and more spam options than we thought possible. Spam musubi is a winner! 

B19E696D-4FB8-41DB-BF19-0C1AA0A18FDE.jpeg

98CD8BC1-36DC-46FC-AD9E-E1D6D45486D2.jpeg

E18F3C7A-D2E0-4B73-999A-81D41BDEA742.jpeg

• Like 23

Good afternoon.  We took a break to enjoy our cooler weather by putting the top  down and taking the convertible for a drive.  While many of you wait for warmer weather for a topless drive, we have to wait for cooler weather.

After living here for 22 years, we found some new roads and little towns to explore.

One of the crops grown in this area is cotton.  Most fields look like it's about time to harvest this year's crop.  Driving along, looking across the fields, it looked like they were covered in snow.

@Vict0riann  loved the dog story.  Its good to know their are still people who are willing to help strangers.  With the name Oskar, is he by any chance a dachshund?   Enjoy your visit with your American cousins.

@bennybear  Brenda, congratulations on the great deal on your cruise.

Lenda

• Like 19

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I haven't played checkers since I was a kid. Dogs in politics, maybe better than some humans that were elected. We should all work on our fitness. Great quote.

The meal sounds interesting. I like the drink and wine.

I haven't been to today's port. Thanks for the pictures.

It's cold and blustery here, after rain last night. Only 56°F, brrr. But warming up in a day or so I hear.

I'm late today. I had my first PT session this morning. Exercises to strengthen the core and legs, to help the back. I can tell I'm a bit sore already. Then I stopped to give my blood sample for the immunocompromised and Covid study, to see what the booster did. Then to the big box store to pick up a few things (most people were masked).

@grapau27 I'm glad all went well.

@JAM37 I hope your husband makes continued progress on getting his strength and stamina back.

@mamaofami So good to hear that Sam's blood thinner is where it needs to be and he is doing well in Rehab.

@AncientWanderer Welcome back. I remember doing that on my first cruise! Then I learned to pace myself, lol.

@bennybear Sounds like you got a great deal!

@Vict0riann Great dog story!

@Ichiban Nekko Ouch, sorry to hear about the HVAC system. Congrats on the cruise booking!

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe, and wear your mask if needed.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I haven't played checkers since I was a kid. Dogs in politics, maybe better than some humans that were elected. We should all work on our fitness. Great quote.

The meal sounds interesting. I like the drink and wine.

I haven't been to today's port. Thanks for the pictures.

It's cold and blustery here, after rain last night. Only 56°F, brrr. But warming up in a day or so I hear.

I'm late today. I had my first PT session this morning. Exercises to strengthen the core and legs, to help the back. I can tell I'm a bit sore already. Then I stopped to give my blood sample for the immunocompromised and Covid study, to see what the booster did. Then to the big box store to pick up a few things (most people were masked).

@grapau27 I'm glad all went well.

@JAM37 I hope your husband makes continued progress on getting his strength and stamina back.

@mamaofami So good to hear that Sam's blood thinner is where it needs to be and he is doing well in Rehab.

@AncientWanderer Welcome back. I remember doing that on my first cruise! Then I learned to pace myself, lol.

@bennybear Sounds like you got a great deal!

@Vict0riann Great dog story!

@Ichiban Nekko Ouch, sorry to hear about the HVAC system. Congrats on the cruise booking!

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe, and wear your mask if needed.

Thank you for your kind words.

Graham.

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, Norseh2o said:

Enjoying another day in Kona! Each morning I mean to take a short walk before the heat of the day but somehow coffee, a good book and the view delay the effort. We are finding golf courses with nice driving ranges, delicious meals from DD - last night we had ‘Hawaiian plate’ for supper, and more spam options than we thought possible. Spam musubi is a winner! 

B19E696D-4FB8-41DB-BF19-0C1AA0A18FDE.jpeg

98CD8BC1-36DC-46FC-AD9E-E1D6D45486D2.jpeg

E18F3C7A-D2E0-4B73-999A-81D41BDEA742.jpeg

Oh you are at our home away from home!  So missing Kona,  fingers crossed for next year!  
that’s a great book!  DH  and DS love spam musubi!   Missing all the amazing local food!   

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 9

Good afternoon everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich.  And Roy, as always, thank you for taking care of the Care and Celebratory lists.

Somehow the morning got away from me and I just got done reading the Daily for today.  It's dreary, overcast, and there have been sporadic sprinkles, so that might be the reason I feel extra lazy today.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion today, although I really love mushrooms.  I don't have to guess too much what Craig wants anymore because of his diet.  All he wants is a salad and some salmon.  Good thing Safeway has a huge box of mixed greens for $5 and I have a boatload of salmon in the freezer.

Maxine @AncientWanderer, so glad you are home and rested up for October 10th!  I'll email you soon.  Sorry Daily family for posting this here but I don't want to post this on our roll call.  Jacqui @kazu can you tell/show me how to post my email without it showing?  My email is my actual full name so don't want it out there for all to see.

Graham @grapau27 so happy you are home from the eye surgery and that all went well!

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good afternoon everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich.  And Roy, as always, thank you for taking care of the Care and Celebratory lists.

Somehow the morning got away from me and I just got done reading the Daily for today.  It's dreary, overcast, and there have been sporadic sprinkles, so that might be the reason I feel extra lazy today.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion today, although I really love mushrooms.  I don't have to guess too much what Craig wants anymore because of his diet.  All he wants is a salad and some salmon.  Good thing Safeway has a huge box of mixed greens for $5 and I have a boatload of salmon in the freezer.

Maxine @AncientWanderer, so glad you are home and rested up for October 10th!  I'll email you soon.  Sorry Daily family for posting this here but I don't want to post this on our roll call.  Jacqui @kazu can you tell/show me how to post my email without it showing?  My email is my actual full name so don't want it out there for all to see.

Graham @grapau27 so happy you are home from the eye surgery and that all went well!

Have a great day everyone!

Thank you so much Sharon for your very nice words.

Graham.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Jacqui @kazu can you tell/show me how to post my email without it showing?  My email is my actual full name so don't want it out there for all to see.

Sure will Sharon.

click on your name in the upper right hand corner so you see this 

7BE00E54-BF43-431E-8D14-580FC0092176.thumb.png.3e803a41f21dcad7dab1e12bbb187bf1.png

click settings

then select signature

0B49F7FF-378C-4F8C-A449-7E5F7EE09F64.thumb.png.0e9df4da5fc36542db6f96b46841b88f.png

In the upper line next to the smiley face is squiggly thing  (left hand side) that’s the link emoji.  Click that  and this will come up.

4DD2D1CD-4A91-4E77-AF8C-5B8085FA242F.thumb.png.5227c7c0bf41809313cba1466c13a275.png

The link is your email address.  You need to use mailto:input your email address. (No spaces) with quotation marks before and after

and in the link just put whatever you want it to say.  I use email me but you can use whatever suits.  

Fair warning though, if someone clicks it to email you they will see your email address.  But usually only people who want to reach you use it so I haven’t had an issue.  Hope this makes sense?  If not drop me an email and we can take it from there.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

That's a great explanation about the email @kazu.  Mine also has my name, and I'm uncomfortable putting it out there, so I just set up a more generic email for stuff like CC,  I saw some other old-timers here do that, and it made sense.  I wish they would enable the private messaging here.  I'm sure they have their good reasons not to, but it never seems to be a problem on other sites.  (Well, the only ones I know about are Disney sites.  🙄 )

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@Vict0riann  loved the dog story.  Its good to know their are still people who are willing to help strangers.  With the name Oskar, is he by any chance a dachshund?   Enjoy your visit with your American cousins.

Lenda

Oskar is actually a shihtzu- I don’t know where the name came from.

BCBF18D1-E564-4088-8736-F1E79A45C09F.thumb.jpeg.6b4e0e9539600183041851204d24672b.jpeg

And I have been trying for a while to post using my phone, but CC has been adding the whole thread to my post, right from page 1!   Hope my iPad is better behaved.

• Like 14