Delta Air - Economy versus Economy Plus

John99

Princess EZ Air (Delta Air) provides 4 choices:  Economy, Economy Plus, and First Class & Business on a Boeing jet.

What’s the difference between Economy versus Economy Plus?

My understanding is Delta's Economy offers 31 to 32 inches of legroom and seats that are 17.2 inches wide.

Is Economy Plus (EZ Air) worth the added cost?  What do you get?

Is this a marketing gimmick?

Is this a code share thing?

On Delta’s web-site they show “Premium Select” or is it “Comfort +”.  No Economy Plus -- I’m confused.

Is “Economy Plus (EZ Air)” the same as “Comfort +”?

Currently, for an additional $70pp I can book Economy Plus (EZ Air).  What do you think?

What has been your experience using Economy Plus (EZ Air)?

We are flying (Delta) to Alaska in July of 2022 (DTW to ANC).   John

33 minutes ago, John99 said:

Princess EZ Air (Delta Air) provides 4 choices:  Economy, Economy Plus, and First Class & Business on a Boeing jet.

Incorrect.  DL runs "business" OR "first", but not both on the same aircraft.  Also "Economy Plus" is a marketing term used by United.

You may want to be looking here:  https://www.delta.com/us/en/onboard/overview

36 minutes ago, John99 said:

What’s the difference between Economy versus Economy Plus?

I am going to assume you mean "Comfort +" which is the DL term for their greater legroom seats.  And that's the difference - some additional seat pitch.  Plus a bit of upgrade in terms of snacks and beverages.  You can find it all here:  https://www.delta.com/us/en/onboard/onboard-experience/delta-comfort-plus

39 minutes ago, John99 said:

My understanding is Delta's Economy offers 31 to 32 inches of legroom and seats that are 17.2 inches wide.

Depends on the individual aircraft.  There is no generalized yet accurate answer.

39 minutes ago, John99 said:

Is Economy Plus (EZ Air) worth the added cost?  What do you get?

Only you can decide.  What you get can be easily found on the DL website with just a few simple clicks.

40 minutes ago, John99 said:

Is this a marketing gimmick?

It's a form of marketing product differentiation.  If you want to call that a gimmick, who am I to argue.

41 minutes ago, John99 said:

Is this a code share thing?

Not according to what you have posted.

41 minutes ago, John99 said:

On Delta’s web-site they show “Premium Select” or is it “Comfort +”.  No Economy Plus -- I’m confused.

Premium Select is a "premium economy" product.  Comfort+ is a "greater legroom product".  Different.  And as mentioned "Economy Plus" is a UA term.

42 minutes ago, John99 said:

Is “Economy Plus (EZ Air)” the same as “Comfort +”?

EZ Air has nothing to do with what airlines call their products.  See above answers.

43 minutes ago, John99 said:

Currently, for an additional $70pp I can book Economy Plus (EZ Air).  What do you think?

Since EZ is using a United term for a Delta product, who knows what they are talking about.  Shows how savvy EZ is (or not).  You have to decide for yourself if you think it is worth the cost.

45 minutes ago, John99 said:

What has been your experience using Economy Plus (EZ Air)?

I don't use either EZ or United.

• Thanks 1

@FlyerTalker thanks for your comments.  I learn something every day on Cruise Critic from people like you.

Your insight and understand on how different air lines operate is appreciated.   In the past, I booked direct with different air lines (but never United) which ever works best for us retirees.  This time however, the use of Princess EZ Air is driven by a combination of cost and possible future cancellation (covid 19 related).   Most of the favorable options to Alaska were on Delta Air with a few American Airlines flights that arrived well after midnight. I have no money invested until final payment is due if I use EZ Air.  By the way I did research Delta web relative to Comfort+, Main Cabin and Basic Economy to get a better understanding options offered. What confused me is the use of generic classifications by Princess in their EZ Air booking process.   

29 minutes ago, John99 said:

the use of Princess EZ Air is driven by a combination of cost and possible future cancellation (covid 19 related). 

I suggest you look at what current airline policies are on cancellation of flights.  Most all will give you a 100% credit for future travel, with no change fees.  So as long as you will be using the credits in the future, it's almost as good as cash.  And DL offers a cash refund option for a slightly higher ticket price.

32 minutes ago, John99 said:

Most of the favorable options to Alaska were on Delta Air with a few American Airlines flights that arrived well after midnight.

Most flights into ANC or FAI arrive in the evening, save those that come up from SEA or PDX.  Folks are amazed at how busy ANC is at midnight, but that's a function of late night (or early morning) departures back to the Lower 48, so that you can connect to departing morning flights at L48 hubs.

34 minutes ago, John99 said:

What confused me is the use of generic classifications by Princess in their EZ Air booking process.   

Let's just say that transparency and ease of use is not their stock in trade.  Nor is accuracy in many cases.  Especially when they use one airline's trademarks in a generic fashion.  Far better, IMO, to do your research elsewhere.

1 hour ago, John99 said:

@FlyerTalker thanks for your comments.  I learn something every day on Cruise Critic from people like you.

Most of the favorable options to Alaska were on Delta Air with a few American Airlines flights that arrived well after midnight.

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

And DL offers a cash refund option for a slightly higher ticket price.

@FlyerTalker, I was surprised that you didn't jump on Delta Air getting renamed in 1992 and is no longer flying as such!!!

I've flown Economy Comfort+ a number of times on Delta's A330-200.  At 6'2" and with longish, gangly limbs, I find that the EC+ seat pitch of 35" versus 31" for Economy makes a significant difference for me, especially on overnight transatlantic flights.  The seats themselves are exactly the same as in "regular" Economy--that is, the exact same width (18" on that particular aircraft), upholstery, recline, and configuration.  As I recall, the menu and amenities are pretty much the same as in Economy, except that you get to board ahead of the Economy passengers and are served first at mealtime.  (At least, this is the way it was pre-pandemic.)

On aircraft with a 2-4-2 (A330) or 2-3-2 (767) configuration, my wife and I find that the two-seat groupings on either side of the plane are ideal for couples traveling together--all the more so with the extra legroom that Economy Comfort+ affords.  As long as you're not expecting a premium experience, you shouldn't be disappointed.  Of course, as always, YMMV.

(Note:  According to Seat Guru, Economy Comfort+ seats on some of Delta's other aircraft have a 34" pitch rather than the 35" pitch on the A330, so that may be something to take into account when you make your choice, depending on the type of aircraft you'll be flying.)