Miami location for PCR Test last day of cruise - for flight to Canada that same day?

Sistersinlaw

Hi,

I just realized we may have a problem flying home to Canada - we are booked on a Carnival cruise that returns to Miami on Sat, Jan 1.  Our flight home is at 5pm out of St. Petes, so we need a covid test done that day to fly home.  How long does it take to get a PCR result  (I saw that Canada requires it be "non-rapid")?  Where can you get it done in the US? CVS or Walgreens type locations?  Panicking!!!!

28 minutes ago, Sistersinlaw said:

Hi,

I just realized we may have a problem flying home to Canada - we are booked on a Carnival cruise that returns to Miami on Sat, Jan 1.  Our flight home is at 5pm out of St. Petes, so we need a covid test done that day to fly home.  How long does it take to get a PCR result  (I saw that Canada requires it be "non-rapid")?  Where can you get it done in the US? CVS or Walgreens type locations?  Panicking!!!!

I'm not terribly sure about Carnival- I would check the their boards and website, but Royal Caribbean is offering tests onboard for Canadian and travelers requiring testing to return home. 

Ouch, that's going to be tough, finding something open on New Year's Day, and having a 4 hour plus drive to the airport. If you were flying out of Miami, you could get tested at the airport (if the facility is open on New Year's Day) but the St. Pete-Clearwater airport doesn't have onsite testing. Any chance that you can change your flight to the following day? That would definitely increase your chances of finding something open.

Where did you read that Canada doesn't accept rapid PCR tests? I don't believe that's accurate, fortunately for you, as you probably wouldn't get the results in time to fly out if you took a standard PCR test.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sistersinlaw said:

Hi,

In relation to the "non-rapid", I wonder if you are confusing that Canada does not accept a rapid antigen test, which is correct, Canada does not accept any antigen tests (which are normally rapid).  I do think that Canada accepts rapid PCR tests or a rapid molecular test of other form.  The test we got from Celebrity to come hone was a RT-PCR, which I believe is a rapid PCR test and it was fine to come home.

You may want to look into the Walgreens ID Now NAAT test, I understand it is acceptable to Canada, but I'm not sure how long the test results take.

I'm not sure if there is a fasttestnow location on your way?  They have a RT-PCR test with results in 3 hours, if you can get it right when you get off the ship and then drive, that may work?

Fast Test Now - Schedule Your Appointment

Edited by AlbertaCruisers
  • Like 1

I just tried to use your link (AlbertaCruisers) to schedule a Rapid antigen test in Miami  beach where we will be before our cruise and the link requires an address, and says only US addresses are accepted.

Not sure if it will work if I put in our Hotel address on South Beach.  Don't want to pay all that money and find out they won't test us.  Then what will we do?  Just want some security.  We have a few weeks, so will see how things progress.  There also appears to be an option to schedule a test at the Miami airport, even if not flying out.

Don

12 minutes ago, Mud_Shark said:

I just tried to use your link (AlbertaCruisers) to schedule a Rapid antigen test in Miami  beach where we will be before our cruise and the link requires an address, and says only US addresses are accepted.

Not sure if it will work if I put in our Hotel address on South Beach.  Don't want to pay all that money and find out they won't test us.  Then what will we do?  Just want some security.  We have a few weeks, so will see how things progress.  There also appears to be an option to schedule a test at the Miami airport, even if not flying out.

Don

Interesting.  I didn't realize they required a US address.  The only person I know that used that fast test place was a US person on these boards that flew to the cruise and didn't have their results yet, so went first thing Saturday morning and got a test, and it worked to get on the ship that morning.

Walgreens Rapid ID Now test is an NAAT test that works for reentry to Canada.  Use your hotel address when booking the appt.  Results have been back in a couple of hours the last few times we used it.

Edited by bookbabe

18 hours ago, sunnydelyght said:

Bookbabe, one more question.  For Walgreens test what did you put for insurance, and if no insurance noted what did you do for id requested?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Said no insurance, and used our nexus cards at the drive-thru.  I’ve seen posts from people that have used their passports or driver’s licenses, though.

If you call, they will give the party line that you have to pay and show state ID.  Just sign up on the website, and when you show up for your appointment they only care that your name matches what’s been entered online.