PCR test for disembarkation for Canadians

MarinerBoy

For those who cruise in and out of Miami or any other destination, how does one get a PCR test 48 hrs before a flight back to Canada if we are stuck on a boat?

Flights back home take off a few hours after the ship docks, so how do people get PCR test in time to fly back?

I can only answer to what Princess is doing but I imagine the other lines are similar.  For our Alaska cruise in August we made an appointment and we were tested in the Medical Center.  They are changing their process to tests being performed on the pier after you disembark with your luggage.

We needed a PCR test to return to Canada and we had the results in an hour.  Leave yourself plenty of time to be tested and to return to the airport for your flight.  And the test to return to Canada hasn't changed and is still within 72 hours. but watch your arrival time and allow for delays etc.  

Also be prepared for prolonged check in times both leaving and returning to Canada,  a lot more information to be shared now.

Don't forget the ArriveCAN app.

Edited by Sprocket

We are on Majestic in Alaska right now. I inquired at guest services as they are now doing the testing off the ship (shoreside when you disembark) and I was curious about the procedure. I was told the CDC are now conducting the tests - they don't want Princess doing it - and we will be directed on where to go once we clear security when we're back in Seattle on Sunday. He said to just tell them we are Canadian and they will do the PCR test, and we will get our results in 30-45 minutes (I'm fully expecting results to take an hour or more). 

53 minutes ago, Ginnyfyr said:

We are on Majestic in Alaska right now. I inquired at guest services as they are now doing the testing off the ship (shoreside when you disembark) and I was curious about the procedure. I was told the CDC are now conducting the tests - they don't want Princess doing it - and we will be directed on where to go once we clear security when we're back in Seattle on Sunday. He said to just tell them we are Canadian and they will do the PCR test, and we will get our results in 30-45 minutes (I'm fully expecting results to take an hour or more). 

Hope you're enjoying your cruise, we really liked the Majestic and loved the crew Alaska was beautiful too lol.

Curious how many will need to be tested, I know the Medical Center was quite congested when we went down for ours.  We asked for and received 2 printed copies of the test results one for the airline and one CBSA.  

News to me that CDC are doing the tests maybe that will open it up for those of us Canadians flying in 2 days ahead that can't be tested because of early flights.

Keep us posted please!!

Just curious, how are Canadians cruising?  Are you doing it without medical insurance.  Every company that we have approached has said they will not cover on cruises because the Cdn Gov advisory is against cruising.  Our friends thought they were covered thru their employment but when they called to find out they were not as long as the advisory is in place.

19 minutes ago, Perky1 said:

Just curious, how are Canadians cruising?  Are you doing it without medical insurance.  Every company that we have approached has said they will not cover on cruises because the Cdn Gov advisory is against cruising.  Our friends thought they were covered thru their employment but when they called to find out they were not as long as the advisory is in place.

I bought insurance through Princess and we are covered through my extended benefits at work.  They cover cruises and do not treat Covid any differently than any other illness.

Have you checked Blue Cross?

20 minutes ago, Sprocket said:

I bought insurance through Princess and we are covered through my extended benefits at work.  They cover cruises and do not treat Covid any differently than any other illness.

Have you checked Blue Cross?

Princess would not sell us insurance.  I wanted assurances that they will cover and they could not …they came back and said they would not sell to Canadians.  I checked Blue Cross, Manulife and Secureglobe has several companies but they will not cover for cruises.  We will not go without insurance so will likely be cancelling our cruise come final payment date.

23 minutes ago, Perky1 said:

Princess would not sell us insurance.  I wanted assurances that they will cover and they could not …they came back and said they would not sell to Canadians.  I checked Blue Cross, Manulife and Secureglobe has several companies but they will not cover for cruises.  We will not go without insurance so will likely be cancelling our cruise come final payment date.

I have 5 cruises booked and all of them with Princess insurance, not sure why they won't cover you??

It's right on the Princess website that there will be free testing done once you exit the terminal with your luggage.  I can't imagine the lineups will be very long since the majority of cruisers will be Americans.  I hope to get an early debark slot once it opens up in the Medallion App and get my test done in time to take the Princess shuttle to the airport.  My flight isn't until 1 p.m. so shouldn't be a problem. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Perky1 said:

Something very strange there. Princess's website clearly says that their PVP is available to all of Canada, with the exception of Quebec (owing to our bizarre insurance laws; Princess also recently stopped selling to residents of New York state for similar reasons) Although I haven't researched them yet, I understand Canada based Medipac may offer COVID coverage, you may want to check them out

I was waiting while she asked 2 different people and that was what she told me when She came back.  I told her I wanted assurances that if I got sick that the insurance would cover knowing the fact the Canadian Government has an advisory against cruising.  They could not provide me with that.

On 9/23/2021 at 10:14 PM, Perky1 said:

AFAIK, Princess still sells insurance to Canadians.  I think there is some exception in Quebec, but since I don't live there I don't pay much attention to that aspect.

In fact was talking to a Princess sales rep on weekend on some fare code quotes and I had to tell her to take our both the insurance and transfers as I didn't want either.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

AFAIK, Princess still sells insurance to Canadians.  I think there is some exception in Quebec, but since I don't live there I don't pay much attention to that aspect.

In fact was talking to a Princess sales rep on weekend on some fare code quotes and I had to tell her to take our both the insurance and transfers as I didn't want either.

The Quebec excception is that the PVP is not available for sale here, due to our specifically bizarre rules on insurance. We used to get it for every trip solely for the CFAR coverage, but they stopped being allowed to sell it here a few years ago.  Lots of insurance products available to the rest of Canada are not available here. FWIW on a similar note, Princess recently stoppped selling the PVP to residents of the state of New York as well.

39 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

The Quebec excception is that the PVP is not available for sale here, due to our specifically bizarre rules on insurance. We used to get it for every trip solely for the CFAR coverage, but they stopped being allowed to sell it here a few years ago.  Lots of insurance products available to the rest of Canada are not available here. FWIW on a similar note, Princess recently stopped selling the PVP to residents of the state of New York as well.

Yes, I knew about NY and I thought QC was the same, but didn't want to post it as a fact as I wasn't sure.  Thanks for clarifying.

On 9/23/2021 at 9:23 PM, Perky1 said:

Blue Cross will cover Covid on cruises if you are in Ontario and I believe Quebec. I must have asked the lady half a dozen times to confirm that they would cover our cruise and she kept saying yes, so I bought a policy from them for this cruise. We will likely purchase an annual plan from them when we get home since we have at least 3 other cruises happening between now and next September.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 9:04 PM, Sprocket said:

Hope you're enjoying your cruise, we really liked the Majestic and loved the crew Alaska was beautiful too lol.

Curious how many will need to be tested, I know the Medical Center was quite congested when we went down for ours.  We asked for and received 2 printed copies of the test results one for the airline and one CBSA.  

News to me that CDC are doing the tests maybe that will open it up for those of us Canadians flying in 2 days ahead that can't be tested because of early flights.

Keep us posted please!!

Just off Majestic and settling in at our hotel now. So, guest services was wrong. He might have been correct that the CDC doesn't want Princess administering the tests but the CDC is not who conducted them - testing is done by a third party provider called MD1 Rapid Reliable Testing. We disembarked, grabbed our luggage, showed our passports to the border lady, then walked across the parking lot (past all the waiting shuttles, taxis, etc) to a white tent. Went in and registered - provided our passports again, dates of birth, names, email, etc - then confirmed that we needed a PCR test. We got swabbed at 8:36 am and had our results in hand 40 minutes later (we were told 30 minutes for results - I fully expected to wait an hour). The crappy part was the waiting - they had one covered area but it was open on all sides, so when it started raining lightly, we got a little wet. Thankfully it was just a sprinkle and only lasted a few minutes; had it really started pouring I don't see how we would have escaped without getting soaked. I overheard one woman ask another lady if she was getting tested because she'd been exposed, and the lady replied that she's Canadian and needs a PCR to go home, but then asked her what she was talking about re: being exposed. The woman said she and her husband got a phone call in their cabin last night advising they had been in the vicinity of someone on the ship who tested positive and they should go to the tent in the morning to get tested. We were given our test results right after I heard her say that so I didn't have a chance to eavesdrop on whether she gave any more details. In hindsight, I find it odd that Princess would notify them that they were around someone who tested positive (I did hear her say Princess had told them they were able to tell they'd been near this person since they can track our medallions) and then allow them to just wander off on their own to get a test. They really shouldn't have been allowed to wait with the rest of us for their test results, either. At the end of the day, hubby and I tested negative (phew), it was quick and painless, and I'm thankful that Princess is providing testing free of charge to their passengers. We're sailing with Virgin next month and will have to source and pay for our own tests at the end of that cruise, so that makes me extra appreciative that Princess took care of this for us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, I knew about NY and I thought QC was the same, but didn't want to post it as a fact as I wasn't sure.  Thanks for clarifying.

No worries. Our only reason for buying it when it was available here was for the CFAR at 100%, the rest of the coverage was only so-so AFAIR, relative to the competition.  I think the various COVID-covering offerings from companies like Blue Cross or Medipac probably make more sense in the current climate since we can't get the PVP.  I'm researching for one that will give us a multi-trip plan, as we have four trips between late November and next October. Lots of options out there, even for Quebecers., and as we're planning to move over the border into Canada from Quebec in the coming months, our options will only grow. ;o)

1 hour ago, Ginnyfyr said:

Just off Majestic and settling in at our hotel now. So, guest services was wrong. He might have been correct that the CDC doesn't want Princess administering the tests but the CDC is not who conducted them - testing is done by a third party provider called MD1 Rapid Reliable Testing. We disembarked, grabbed our luggage, showed our passports to the border lady, then walked across the parking lot (past all the waiting shuttles, taxis, etc) to a white tent. Went in and registered - provided our passports again, dates of birth, names, email, etc - then confirmed that we needed a PCR test. We got swabbed at 8:36 am and had our results in hand 40 minutes later (we were told 30 minutes for results - I fully expected to wait an hour). The crappy part was the waiting - they had one covered area but it was open on all sides, so when it started raining lightly, we got a little wet. Thankfully it was just a sprinkle and only lasted a few minutes; had it really started pouring I don't see how we would have escaped without getting soaked. I overheard one woman ask another lady if she was getting tested because she'd been exposed, and the lady replied that she's Canadian and needs a PCR to go home, but then asked her what she was talking about re: being exposed. The woman said she and her husband got a phone call in their cabin last night advising they had been in the vicinity of someone on the ship who tested positive and they should go to the tent in the morning to get tested. We were given our test results right after I heard her say that so I didn't have a chance to eavesdrop on whether she gave any more details. In hindsight, I find it odd that Princess would notify them that they were around someone who tested positive (I did hear her say Princess had told them they were able to tell they'd been near this person since they can track our medallions) and then allow them to just wander off on their own to get a test. They really shouldn't have been allowed to wait with the rest of us for their test results, either. At the end of the day, hubby and I tested negative (phew), it was quick and painless, and I'm thankful that Princess is providing testing free of charge to their passengers. We're sailing with Virgin next month and will have to source and pay for our own tests at the end of that cruise, so that makes me extra appreciative that Princess took care of this for us. 

I’m so grateful for you sharing your experience. This was the one tiny thing that has had me a little stressed out. I appreciate you sharing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ginnyfyr said:

Thanks for letting us know your experience, seems odd to me too that they would just let them mingle with all the other passengers waiting to be tested.  Did they have any available seating in the tent? Hubby has issues sitting on hard surfaces but standing for any length of time is worse.

Such a relief to get the negative results can't wait for our cruises in December.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lizabu said:

I’m so grateful for you sharing your experience. This was the one tiny thing that has had me a little stressed out. I appreciate you sharing.

You're very welcome! I'm thankful that it was a smooth process (and that we tested negative!)

3 hours ago, Sprocket said:

Thanks for letting us know your experience, seems odd to me too that they would just let them mingle with all the other passengers waiting to be tested.  Did they have any available seating in the tent? Hubby has issues sitting on hard surfaces but standing for any length of time is worse.

Such a relief to get the negative results can't wait for our cruises in December.

I rather wish we had stuck around until that couple got their test results! Definitely odd that they just sent them over with everyone else. There was one metal picnic table, so not much seating, but seats were offered several times to anyone who joined the waiting area. Hopefully other ports will have a better/more comfortable waiting area set up.

• Like 1