Cabin Service

dmaikui

We were in a Neptune Suite 4 weeks ago on the NA and had turn down service without asking.  The stewards were always asking us if we needed anything additional.  We sail in 17 days in a Vista Suite on a different ship so we shall see if anything changes.

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Thanks 1

We were in a balcony cabin on the NA last week. 

They asked us on the first day what service we wanted. They gently said the standard was once per day but they would gladly do whatever we wanted. We said we wanted them to come in at 11 Am when we were sure to be out (We also put the "Tidy Up" tag on the door), and at 5:30 when we went to early dining with fresh ice each time. They came in at 11 AM when we left the room and gave us ice each day... picked up/made the beds. We take a nap most afternoons after, you know, all the stress and effort to go out reading, eating, and lallygagging about all day, and they came back again after 5:30 - with more ice  and to re-make the bed before we returned .

Soooo - Service as it was before COVID hit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

We were in a Neptune Suite 4 weeks ago on the NA and had turn down service without asking.  The stewards were always asking us if we needed anything additional.  We sail in 17 days in a Vista Suite on a different ship so we shall see if anything changes.

Thank you, we will be in a Neptune Suite, we chose one in the aft. Thank you for reassuring me! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RGEDad said:

They asked us on the first day what service we wanted. They gently said the standard was once per day but they would gladly do whatever we wanted. We said we wanted them to come in at 11 Am when we were sure to be out (We also put the "Tidy Up" tag on the door), and at 5:30 when we went to early dining with fresh ice each time. They came in at 11 AM when we left the room and gave us ice each day... picked up/made the beds. We take a nap most afternoons after, you know, all the stress and effort to go out reading, eating, and lallygagging about all day, and they came back again after 5:30 - with more ice  and to re-make the bed before we returned .

Thank you, good to know! 

51 minutes ago, dmaikui said:

Did you like the aft cabin? We usually chose a cabin near the Neptune Lounge. Any cons to the aft? 

We loved the aft wrap and the distance to the Neptune Lounge was the only con. We only went 3 times to the Neptune Lounge during the week. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dmaikui said:

Did you like the aft cabin? We usually chose a cabin near the Neptune Lounge. Any cons to the aft? 

We have had several corner aft Neptunes.  Cons - slightly smaller cabin and sometimes the cabin stewards are not used to handling Neptunes (did not get Neptune only mailings/invitations, etc.).  Pros - great balconies.  Con - Long walks to Neptune Lounge.

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Sharon, in your experience, do you think the aft Neptune in smaller than a mid ship suite? Thank you, I know the balcony is larger.

1 hour ago, dmaikui said:

Sorry....BTW, we're going on the Eurodam.

Yes but not by much. There are two chairs in front of the sofa with the coffee table between the three. It’s this space that feels smaller so we moved one of the chairs over to the area between the bed and door to the balcony. I kept moving the other chair at an angle to fit against the side table so it was out of the way but each time the stewards came it was moved. No biggie, I just moved it again.   We loved all the extra storage space and bigger bathroom with the double sinks. I do think it’s “bouncy-er” while sleeping, especially in rougher seas. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Yes but not by much. There are two chairs in front of the sofa with the coffee table between the three. It’s this space that feels smaller so we moved one of the chairs over to the area between the bed and door to the balcony. I kept moving the other chair at an angle to fit against the side table so it was out of the way but each time the stewards came it was moved. No biggie, I just moved it again.   We loved all the extra storage space and bigger bathroom with the double sinks. I do think it’s “bouncy-er” while sleeping, especially in rougher seas. 

I'll be interested to hear how you enjoy the Vista Suite. It's always nice to get different perspectives.

On 9/24/2021 at 7:35 AM, dmaikui said:

On Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam The cabin is ever so slightly smaller with a little bit of a different layout and smaller couch. Most of the lost space is between the couch/chairs and beds. However, the balcony is enormous and more than makes up for it. I posted quite a few pictures of room 8162 on our Alaska sailing on post #67. 

There is definitely more motion than you feel in other locations. Both up and down and shimmying periodically, however, it was not at all problematic except for one day in very rough seas (even then it wasn't bad but it was very noticeable). Noise wise you can hear the wake when outside (I find the sound soothing). We were on deck 8 and could hear music playing on the lido during sail away, etc. That being said we could not hear it at all in the cabin. Absolutely no noise issues inside the cabin. 

When you sit on the aft facing portion you are quite protected from the wind which actually makes the balcony more usable when at sea. You also get almost 270 degrees of views which is absolutely amazing as is sitting there for sail aways. Also on the side facing port/starboard you have a view straight down to the sea (as opposed to looking down to the lifeboats and what not). 

Unless you get seasick or are particularly motion or noise sensitive I would highly recommend. I have moved all our future sailings over to the aft wraps now. On most ships your windows in the cabin look aft - on the Pinnacle class there are windows both aft and to the side. 

Deck 4 on all ships has the window washing machine in the corner but the balcony is so big this really should not be an issue. 

Forgot to mention that we did get our Neptune suite serviced twice each day automatically. The PM is more of light service. They made up the beds, did the bathroom, etc. and gave us chocolates but the beds are not turned down nor are there towel animals (but I am sure they would do on request if that is important to you). Our cabin stewards were great. They asked on the first day if we needed anything and we asked for 2 daily programs and ice. They refilled our ice and champaign bucket very regularly and we had it filled at all times. Just let them know what you want and they will make it happen! 

• Like 2

On 9/25/2021 at 9:56 PM, zgscl said:

Forgot to mention that we did get our Neptune suite serviced twice each day automatically. The PM is more of light service. They made up the beds, did the bathroom, etc. and gave us chocolates but the beds are not turned down nor are there towel animals (but I am sure they would do on request if that is important to you). Our cabin stewards were great. They asked on the first day if we needed anything and we asked for 2 daily programs and ice. They refilled our ice and champaign bucket very regularly and we had it filled at all times. Just let them know what you want and they will make it happen! 

Thank you, good to know 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2021 at 8:22 PM, RGEDad said:

thank you,   having our cabin tidied & fresh towels in evening is super important to me ( we all have our "things". mine is being a neat freak 😉

• Thanks 1

From our experience on the Eurodam in September, Neptune Suites automatically had their rooms serviced twice.  Those of us in the “cheap” cabins were asked if once a day was ok.  We were fine with that.  I did ask that we still get our chocolates and they showed up on our bed each night with the daily.  

• Thanks 1

If we all accept service once a day, eventually the stewards will be given more staterooms to clean and staff will be reduced.

It seems that HAL is pushing to see what they can get away with, once a day room cleaning, extra charge for more dining room items, slot machines in Ocean Bar. I'm not encouraged by all these changes.

• Like 5

We had a Neptune aft wrap (6164) on the Eurodam Sept. 24-Oct. 18.  It was our choice to have only morning service.  Our cabin stewards would have been happy to service our cabin twice/day but we just don't need it.  The only thing I asked was that they bring chocolates (we got them each morning, which was great with my morning coffee) 😄 and the daily program (left in our mail slot each night).

• Like 1