What happens ($-wise) if you fail the COVID test at embarkation?

NewSalty

I've searched the Windstar site and these forums, and I don't see the answer.

I'd like to think that Windstar would refund your fare, but I have a suspicion that's not the case.  (If it was, I'd expect them to brag about it on the website...)

My next guess is that it would be covered by trip insurance, although that would be kinda dicey as well.  Most policies I've looked at want a doctor's verification that you were ill - you obviously wouldn't have that until after the fact.  (And I can just imagine myself arguing this one with some numbskull on the phone...)

I've seen discussion of this situation on the Oceania boards, and it appears that Oceania actually has a defined policy - if you had tested negative in the past 3 days before testing positive at embarkation, you get a refund.  A Windstar policy like this would be a huge worry-eraser.  Or ANY stated policy, just so that I know what to expect...

And of course, there's always the ugly possibility of a false positive - I've gotta believe Windstar is ready to do a second test for you before leaving the dock!

You ask a terrific question, one maybe our TA's oughta ask WS, lol

However I just don't see WS not issuing a 100% credit, for a future sailing, after-all it would be bad business not to do so, I mean if they don't, you are surely never cruising with WS again, and the whole cruise biz, especially small ship lines, is based on repeat customers 🙂 

jc   

Antigen tests are much more likely to give a false negative than a false positive.  Windstar has no posted policy but would be unlikely they would issue a refund.  If anything, would think you would get only a future cruise credit, if that, but you'd have to check with them.

Should be covered by insurance.  Most are treating covid as any other disease in which case a doctor would advise against travel. I asked our insurance company before a cruise recently and they said it would be covered as cancellation due to illness. But that was mine and every insurer is different. 

As sb44 says, it should be covered by your travel insurance since most of them today cover it; but your question is about positive at embarkation. The difficulty comes with where you are at the time. If you have already begun travel to reach the port, I believe  it will be covered by the trip interruption portion of your policy.

This provides up to 150% of the cost of your trip to reimburse you for unused days and expenses to return home. You may not be able to travel immediately if you flew to the port.

As you pointed out, you’ll need a doctor to confirm the diagnosis before you file for reimbursement.

EVERY INSURANCE POLICY IS DIFFERENT.  YOU ACTUALLY NEED TO READ THE FINE PRINT AND ANYTHING ELSE ON THE INSURANCE COMPANY'S WEBSITE THAT PERTAINS TO COVID.

IF IT IS NOT ABSOLUTELY CLEAR THEN YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER A DIFFERENT TRAVEL INSURANCE POLICY/COMPANY.

IN GENERAL INSURANCE COMPANYS MAKE MONEY BY NOT PAYING CLAIMS AND IF THE POLICY DOES NOT CLEARLY REQUIRE THAT A CLAIM HAS TO BE PAID YOU MAY HAVE LOTS OF TROUBLE.

Looked at Windstar forum for the first time in many months. Hesitant to book a cruise with any cruise line but leaning toward Oceania. Definitely, want to go somewhere. If Windstar will leave you blowing in the wind if you fail a Covid test then not a company for me. Sure it would be nice but not worth the risk. Other cruise lines will give you a refund or a credit to a future cruise as far as I can tell.

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2021 at 7:07 PM, NewSalty said:

Thanks all for the insights, but I still feel that it would behoove Windstar to have a STATED policy as to what THEY are going to do in that situation.  Even if it were "No Refund or FCC" - at least I would know what to expect.

In case anybody is still wondering, I called today and asked about a surprise, asymptomatic positive test at embarkation.

The agent told me that Windstar would administer a second test to confirm the diagnosis; but if the guest tested positive on the PCR as well as on the initial antigen, he’d be on his own. To be clear, there would be no cash refund, no FCC, no assistance of any kind with additional expenses to return home. I did not find this as a written statement anywhere, but I have no reason to doubt what the agent told me.

Windstar's written policy is to allow cancelation up to 48 hours before departure for full FCC.  If one has a Covid test before leaving home, and that test is positive, this policy will cover them.  (see here: https://www.windstarcruises.com/travel-health-advisory/)

In the event of a shore-side positive Covid test (or a mid-voyage test if that's required by itinerary), the expectation is that one's travel insurance will kick in. My credit card (Chase Sapphire Reserve) has the following language: 

Quarantine of You or Your Traveling Companion imposed by a Physician or by a competent governmental authority having jurisdiction, due to health reasons.

If one tests Covid positive, one will be quarantined. A doctor or local government can mandate a quarantine. It does not matter if one is symptomatic; if one tests positive, or one has been directly exposed, quarantine is required. Depending on where during my trip my quarantine may be required, I'm covered by either trip cancellation or trip interruption.

The cancellation policy allowing FCC is good for trips before March 31, 2022.  After that, the standard cancellation policy applies. In any case, neither would be of use in case of a positive test administered at embarkation, which was the original question to which I was responding.

At that point, trip interruption and trip delay come into play because travel has already begun to reach the port city. For those shopping for insurance, it is important to know how these features work.

Trip interruption will pay up to the policy limit for unused days of the trip and the cost of transportation home.  The trip delay provision pays for hotels, meals, and other reasonable costs if one is delayed in returning home as in the case of required quarantine. These benefits are capped at a fixed amount with daily limits so it is important to look for a policy with generous trip delay benefits if one is concerned about quarantine expenses. The best I’ve seen so far is $250 per day with a $2500 max. The premium policy sold by Windstar pays $100 per day with a $1000 cap. Their standard level product is even less.

The language you quoted from Chase is out of context. Is that one of the covered reasons for cancellation or interruption? While those provisions will pay for unused days of the trip and transportation, what does it say about trip delay? It might be a good idea to get clarification from Chase if you are depending on their coverage for travel in the time of Covid.

No one has responded yet. That is a good thing if it means it hasn’t happened yet to anyone on Windstar.

In the absence of first-hand experience, may I suggest that it is likely you’d be referred to port authorities and/or the local health department who would assign you to quarantine in a designated facility. Remember that your insurance will require a doctor’s confirmation of the diagnosis and medically required quarantine. Check your policy or call your carrier to be sure that you can provide acceptable documentation for a claim.