Pass The Parcel Or Pass The Buck – Why Australia Can’t Cruise While The Rest Of The World Is Enjoying A Renaissance

1 hour ago, Porky55 said:

Actually really proud of what we have achieved here with vaccines. My son lives in Amsterdam and they started their vaccine campaign before us, similar population as Australia, and we already have more 1st Vax numbers than them and only 400k behind with both jabs. 
To have this percentage we are looking at by Dec - possibly over 80%, will be phenomenal.

Wish you only the best over there Brandee 🙏

We are not better yet, the Netherlands has around 17 million, we have 26 million.

Here are some vaccine stats for them.

https://coronadashboard.government.nl/landelijk/vaccinatie

Note it is 86% 1st dose, 82% both doses but this is for the population aged18 and over.

17 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We are not better yet, the Netherlands has around 17 million, we have 26 million.

Here are some vaccine stats for them.

https://coronadashboard.government.nl/landelijk/vaccinatie

Note it is 86% 1st dose, 82% both doses but this is for the population aged18 and over.

Well, went on these figures, but at 17 million you are absolutely correct. Still think we are getting amazing results for vaccinations though 👍

Source: https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/news/2021/09/14/netherlands-to-reopen-further-with-coronavirus-entry-passes

As of 25 September, we no longer have to stay 1.5 metres from others. This is a big step forwards. It means restaurants and bars can open to maximum capacity, and all events will again be allowed. Nearly 13 million people in the Netherlands have received at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine and more than 11 million are fully vaccinated.

On 9/27/2021 at 2:26 AM, NSWP said:

I really think the UK and US Governments have given up on Covid, look at the numbers, still huuuuge !

And that's what will happen here. 

On 9/27/2021 at 1:11 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Because nobody was fully vaccinated a year ago for starters. Vaccinations didn't start here until mid-February. 

The UK and the US started vaccinations, after pushing through approvals under emergency conditions, late last year. They have a much bigger population to draw passengers from. QLD border closures, and lower than average numbers fully vaccinated in QLD, would limit the number of passengers that could cruise out of Brisbane. Plus neither the US and the UK governments appeared to be as anti-cruising as our governments and the cruise industry here doesn't have much clout.

But cruises with up to 100 unvaccinated passengers have been sailing from Australia with no reported cases, due to the implementation of safety measures. Strange, eh?

I've followed nearly every mention about the resumption of cruising in Aus, including international cruises too. My position is, Morrison doesn't want any mess-ups before his election, which will be called latest Feb 2022. That means no cruises until at least then, potentially later in the year. When anyone asks federal ministers questions about cruise, they blame the AHPPC for 'bad data', 'when its safe to do so', etc. What a load of nonsense, election day can't come quick enough.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ollyoeno said:

I've followed nearly every mention about the resumption of cruising in Aus, including international cruises too. My position is, Morrison doesn't want any mess-ups before his election, which will be called latest Feb 2022. That means no cruises until at least then, potentially later in the year. When anyone asks federal ministers questions about cruise, they blame the AHPPC for 'bad data', 'when its safe to do so', etc. What a load of nonsense, election day can't come quick enough.

Welcome to Cruise Critic ollyoeno 😀

I agree with you there, Morrison wont do anything about cruise ships in-till after the federal election, so it will be at lest May 2022, before we might see a P&O Australia or Carnival ship back down-under.

6 hours ago, ollyoeno said:

My position is, Morrison doesn't want any mess-ups before his election, which will be called latest Feb 2022.

I agree, except that the last date for the next normal Federal election is 21st May 2022. So if Morrison goes as late as possible and gives the go ahead soon after, cruising "might" start up in Sept or Oct 2022.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic ollyoeno 😀

I agree with you there, Morrison wont do anything about cruise ships in-till after the federal election, so it will be at lest May 2022, before we might see a P&O Australia or Carnival ship back down-under.

5 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I agree, except that the last date for the next normal Federal election is 21st May 2022. So if Morrison goes as late as possible and gives the go ahead soon after, cruising "might" start up in Sept or Oct 2022.

Thanks for the welcome.

Bloody hell. You lot have your finger on the pulse.

I really don't like this Joel Katz bloke from CLIA - he's utterly useless. Why does he think politicians are going to make a plan for him? He keeps saying the offices 'continue to engage with the CLIA' but he's now changed that to 'they haven't engaged with us about anything'. He's supposed to represent our market. I've considered writing to Kelly Craighead (the US president of CLIA) to ask how we 'unseat' Joel, given Carnival, P&O etc must be fuming at him. Can we not get someone with a bit of know-how in his place? I want to go on a cruise!

Katz has done nothing for Australia for well over a year now. In the UK and the US, his contemporaries managed to resume cruises *without vaccinated passengers* and then with vaccinated passengers, at full capacity. Katz wouldn't be drawn on whether the liners wanted vaccinated passengers or not until around July this year, when he changed his policy to mandating 100% vaccinations onboard all vessels.

In the UK and US, they got stuff done by threatening politicians with mass layoff's and media collateral. If Joel doesn't have the stomach for it, he should resign.

I don't see why fully vaxxed passengers can't arrive in Australia via cruise ports at the 80% target, it's perfectly acceptable and happening all over the world now.

• Like 2

I agree that cruising won't be a chance until after the fed election however when the country gets to 80% vaxxed they the government may start to run out of excuses for not to start cruising. 

It will look pretty ordinary if the country opens up to O/S travel where you can cruise HOWEVER can't here domestically.

• Like 1

I too want to cruise and soon but the government  has plenty of more important things to action before they will consider cruising and what form or restrictions  will be in place. Things such as what to do with quarantine and controlling  tourist movements. 

It won't happen  this summer.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, ollyoeno said:

Thanks for the welcome.

Bloody hell. You lot have your finger on the pulse.

I really don't like this Joel Katz bloke from CLIA - he's utterly useless. Why does he think politicians are going to make a plan for him? He keeps saying the offices 'continue to engage with the CLIA' but he's now changed that to 'they haven't engaged with us about anything'. He's supposed to represent our market. I've considered writing to Kelly Craighead (the US president of CLIA) to ask how we 'unseat' Joel, given Carnival, P&O etc must be fuming at him. Can we not get someone with a bit of know-how in his place? I want to go on a cruise!

Katz has done nothing for Australia for well over a year now. In the UK and the US, his contemporaries managed to resume cruises *without vaccinated passengers* and then with vaccinated passengers, at full capacity. Katz wouldn't be drawn on whether the liners wanted vaccinated passengers or not until around July this year, when he changed his policy to mandating 100% vaccinations onboard all vessels.

In the UK and US, they got stuff done by threatening politicians with mass layoff's and media collateral. If Joel doesn't have the stomach for it, he should resign.

I don't see why fully vaxxed passengers can't arrive in Australia via cruise ports at the 80% target, it's perfectly acceptable and happening all over the world now.

The cruise industry is a fairly minor player in the scheme of things here. I suspect the governments are stonewalling both the cruise lines and Joel Katz. The cruise industry in the US and the UK has far more financial clout than here. Most cruise lines here get the majority of their supplies from overseas and only a small percentage locally. Money spent onboard by passengers goes into overseas coffers. Pre and post cruise accommodation and travel brings in some revenue but probably nowhere near as much as business travel. So the CLIA doesn't have as much pull as you might think.

Add in the fact that too many people, including politicians, think that cruising is for the wealthy, everyone cruises in suites, passengers swan around in designer clothing including evening gowns and tuxedos every night, and have lobster and caviar at every meal! 🤣😪

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The cruise industry is a fairly minor player in the scheme of things here. I suspect the governments are stonewalling both the cruise lines and Joel Katz. The cruise industry in the US and the UK has far more financial clout than here. Most cruise lines here get the majority of their supplies from overseas and only a small percentage locally. Money spent onboard by passengers goes into overseas coffers. Pre and post cruise accommodation and travel brings in some revenue but probably nowhere near as much as business travel. So the CLIA doesn't have as much pull as you might think.

Add in the fact that too many people, including politicians, think that cruising is for the wealthy, everyone cruises in suites, passengers swan around in designer clothing including evening gowns and tuxedos every night, and have lobster and caviar at every meal! 🤣😪

I'm not that fond of lobster and caviar.  Everything else sounds bang on. 😂

One thing I like about Princess is they have pheasant on one of the formal nights. Unfortunately it's usually the same night as lobster. Oh well, I have a lobster starter and a pheasant main. 😊

Although they're a bit naughty sometimes. When they're getting low of pheasant they substitute it with guinea fowl, which looks and tastes much different.

• Like 1

These cruel photos of caviar after saying cruises won't resume this year, you're all evil, evil I tell you!

I still think we should trial cruises this summer. AP seems to be up for it, good on her.

Edited by ollyoeno

1 minute ago, ollyoeno said:

These cruel photos of caviar after saying cruises won't resume this year, you're all evil, evil I tell you!

I still think we should trial cruises this summer. AP seems to be up for it, good on her.

Sorry!

*giggles*

6 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

How many times on an ad (usually for A current Affair) have you heard "they were suppose to be on a holiday of a lifetime"?

And I'm thinking it was probably their third cruise for the year.🙄

Your right that many people think it's only for the well heeled but as we know people from all walks of life cruise now even if it's just out to the Islands on a bargain fair.

56 minutes ago, sewgood said:

How many times on an ad (usually for A current Affair) have you heard "they were suppose to be on a holiday of a lifetime"?

And I'm thinking it was probably their third cruise for the year.🙄

Your right that many people think it's only for the well heeled but as we know people from all walks of life cruise now even if it's just out to the Islands on a bargain fair.

Cruising has changed considerably in the past 15-20 years, I think, but people still have the same mindset from that era. We did our first cruise Xmas 2014 and it's even changed since then, and not necessarily for the better. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I agree with you OZKiwiJJ, CLIA and the cruise lines are been stonewalled by the Australia government, especially with NSW health stuffing up the Ruby Princess.

7 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That is semi true, at last only on Formal nights on Princess and Cunard.

I wore a tuxedo on Formal nights on our Princess and Cunard cruise :).

Also considering the majority of the staff on the ships are not Australian means it is difficult to argue the jobs line. However it does drive jobs in tourism and other port jobs. CLIAs own figures state the industry is worth over four billion annually so not to be sneezed at. Maybe Joel needs to get some other industry organisations onboard like the Tourism and Transport Forum and start a campaign 

11 hours ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

I agree with you OZKiwiJJ, CLIA and the cruise lines are been stonewalled by the Australia government, especially with NSW health stuffing up the Ruby Princess.

You don't need to wear Tuxedo on Princess these days, casual attire in MDR on formal nights, even though they request minimum dark suit and tie for men.     Cunard and P&O UK are still trying to hang on to tradition like suit and tie in MDR on formal nights. 

11 hours ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

We still wear formal dress on those nights, on any cruise. We haven't managed to cruise on Cunard yet - two cruises cancelled but we're hoping third time lucky Xmas 22. DH will probably pack a suit or two. 

• Like 1