... And what about the Christmas market cruises?

notamermaid

People have been wondering about this a bit and I have been asked personally if the Christmas markets are happening. It is looking promising. But what about the itineraries during that time? Here are some plans put together in an article by travelweekly:

https://www.travelweekly.com/River-Cruising/Insights/Christmas-markets-back-for-2021

It looks like you need to make a decision about travelling next year very soon if you want specific dates, bookings are already very good.

notamermaid

• Like 2

Fresh from the press... the main Munich Christmas market is a go! And it will even last longer than usual. Traditionally the markets close on Christmas Eve. The main market will stay open til Jan 9th, 2022. All booths will be there but spread all over the Munich center. Where alcohol is served there will be fenced areas and the 3G rule (meaning you have to be either vaccinated, tested or suffered from Covid-19 within the last 6 months) will take in.

Haven´t read anything about Nuremberg yet.

steamboats

• Like 4

3 hours ago, steamboats said:

Fresh from the press... the main Munich Christmas market is a go! And it will even last longer than usual. Traditionally the markets close on Christmas Eve. The main market will stay open til Jan 9th, 2022. All booths will be there but spread all over the Munich center. Where alcohol is served there will be fenced areas and the 3G rule (meaning you have to be either vaccinated, tested or suffered from Covid-19 within the last 6 months) will take in.

Haven´t read anything about Nuremberg yet.

steamboats

Well we might get there after all!  Just got better air arrangement from Viking, Lufthansa instead of American going over to Budapest.  Once in Passau we spend a couple nights then to Munich for a few days and on to Wurzburg etc.  Hopefully no air or train strikes and less COVID!  (going from Nov to Dec). Thanks for update.

• Like 2

steamboats, thank you for the good news. I have read of plans of extending Christmas markets on the Rhine, but so far I have only read confirmation that the Bonn large market will start earlier this year. That may be a favoured approach by some towns.

I think the large gluhwein huts and tents will be absent or declared "indoor dining establishments" where the 3G rule applies, like with what you describe for Munich. Sounds quite a safe and sensible strategy to me.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

steamboats, thank you for the good news. I have read of plans of extending Christmas markets on the Rhine, but so far I have only read confirmation that the Bonn large market will start earlier this year. That may be a favoured approach by some towns.

I think the large gluhwein huts and tents will be absent or declared "indoor dining establishments" where the 3G rule applies, like with what you describe for Munich. Sounds quite a safe and sensible strategy to me.

notamermaid

That was the fun of the markets, get your gluhwein and walk around, nice for a hot drink in the cold.  Well, I have plenty of gluhwein cups at home, so whatever is the right way in this COVID era, I will follow all protocol.  Looking forward to being back in Germany in Nov-Dec.

I’m booked with 5 friends on the Tauck Brussels to Amsterdam Christmas Market cruise. We are hoping the trip will not get canceled like last year.  We’ve been booked since February 2019…so we are ready…. This will be our third CM trip.  

On 9/25/2021 at 10:34 PM, rcaruso said:

Well we might get there after all!  Just got better air arrangement from Viking, Lufthansa instead of American going over to Budapest.  Once in Passau we spend a couple nights then to Munich for a few days and on to Wurzburg etc.  Hopefully no air or train strikes and less COVID!  (going from Nov to Dec). Thanks for update.

A lovely longish time in Europe. A visit to Karlstadt as well I assume? :classic_smile: Are you flying back from Frankfurt?

notamermaid

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

A lovely longish time in Europe. A visit to Karlstadt as well I assume? :classic_smile: Are you flying back from Frankfurt?

notamermaid

1st Danube Waltz to Passau, Munich, Wurzburg and yes Karlstadt and then Frankfurt for a couple days and home.

That sounds great. My last visit to Frankfurt Christmas market at the Römer was a long time ago, but I do remember it as being really pleasant. Plans still going ahead, but with a caveat. This is the German site - the English one only gives the dates: https://www.frankfurt-tourismus.de/Entdecken-und-Erleben/Veranstaltungen/Volksfeste-Festivals-und-Maerkte/frankfurter-weihnachtsmarkt

And a Rembrandt exhibition is coming to the Städel: https://www.frankfurt-tourismus.de/en/Discover-Experience/Art-and-Culture/06.10.2021-30.01.2022-Rembrandt-Exhibition-at-the-Staedel-Museum-Frankfurt

I think a trip to Frankfurt in winter is in order for me :classic_smile:.

notamermaid

31 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

That sounds great. My last visit to Frankfurt Christmas market at the Römer was a long time ago, but I do remember it as being really pleasant. Plans still going ahead, but with a caveat. This is the German site - the English one only gives the dates: https://www.frankfurt-tourismus.de/Entdecken-und-Erleben/Veranstaltungen/Volksfeste-Festivals-und-Maerkte/frankfurter-weihnachtsmarkt

And a Rembrandt exhibition is coming to the Städel: https://www.frankfurt-tourismus.de/en/Discover-Experience/Art-and-Culture/06.10.2021-30.01.2022-Rembrandt-Exhibition-at-the-Staedel-Museum-Frankfurt

I think a trip to Frankfurt in winter is in order for me :classic_smile:.

notamermaid

Thanks, Notamermaid, I just hope all goes well.  Had some trouble with flights to Budapest on American through Heathrow, now fixed to go direct from Dallas to Frankfurt on Lufthansa and on to Budapest, then back to Dallas on American out of Frankfurt.  Just need trains working and all will be well.  We will let Viking pamper us for 7 days and then on our own.  It has been too long.  Hoping we can get our Moderna Booster (third shot ) before we leave.

On 9/26/2021 at 7:51 AM, Canal archive said:

Has anyone designed a mask with a hole for a straw? It would be so useful for gluhwein sipping whilst enjoying a Christmas market.

Yep. Although I’m not certain if it meets EU standards.83A50443-82A9-4E7F-A5A0-89B6C7646682.jpeg.13812b0bc351b0ea6e271c0c0c163b55.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Face-Mask-Straw-Drinking/dp/B08FTLLT61

• Haha 1

Alas, Rüdesheimer Weihnachtsmarkt der Nationen--one of the markets I enjoyed for its different feel--has indicated they will be canceling this year.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/weihnachtsmarktdernationen/posts/4777924258897834&show_text=true

(Google translated) text:
September 24

-----

Dear Christmas market fans,
today we have sad news for you. Also this year there will be no nations Christmas market in Rüdesheim.
😔
In the past few weeks and months we have had many conversations and really tried everything to light up the glow of lights in the Rüdesheim alleys.
Due to the corona conditions, we can't hold onto the Christmas market concept and we have to risk losing the Christmas flair. We don't want to disappoint the expectations of visitors to experience a special Christmas market and have therefore decided with heavy hearts to cancel the Christmas market.
Even though Corona will continue to accompany us in the coming months and years, we very much hope that we will see each other soon.
We wish you a nice pre-Christmas season and hope to see you soon 👋.
Stay healthy!
Your Christmas market team

-----

It will be interesting to see if any itinerary adjustments may be made to the cruises stopping at this port for the markets.

@tremere Thank you for the info. The text is also on the German website, I see. What a blow to the town and the area. In the alleys and with no alternative space available I suppose there is nothing they could do about it. Mainz is the closest bigger alternative. The one in Ingelheim is good but it is only at the weekends. Rüdesheim is still nice for a stop but the companies will want an alternative market on this day to please passengers I should think.

notamermaid

Hello HoneyJan,

This is the website:

https://www.frankfurt-tourismus.de/Entdecken-und-Erleben/Veranstaltungen/Volksfeste-Festivals-und-Maerkte/frankfurter-weihnachtsmarkt

The dates are there, the text just says that they are working hard on the layout and the structure of the market under the current regulations, i.e. it will look different. But the large Christmas tree will be there, even if in the worst case scenario the market has to cancelled. The English website does not give that info, you will need to stick to the German website for further details as they come in I should think.

notamermaid

Drumroll... It is official, Koblenz Christmas market is happening! I am raising an imaginary glass of glühwein to all those who are making this possible.

News this morning says it will take place from 19 November till 9 January in the old town with a format that allows flexibility to react to what may happen with the pandemic during that time.

notamermaid

Big news in Bavaria. The state authorities have agreed this morning that a 3G rule for the Christmas markets is impractical and difficult to enforce, so there will be none on a state level (local practicalities may look different). This paves the way for Christmas markets being set up in the way we know them.

Other states will have different ideas about this, in Rhineland-Palatinate the latest regulations allow a wide scope of how to organise the markets, but the implications are likely to be harsher than with the regulations in Bavaria. Will the amendment on 7 November here bring more news?

notamermaid

• Like 1

Cities, towns and villages in Germany are determined to hold Christmas markets. Many, many have already been confirmed, but the details vary as to how they will go about. Expect fewer indoor offers and more space (the latter always a good idea in my humble opinion, I do not like shoulder to shoulder glühwein sipping).

Two examples: Traben-Trarbach on the Moselle normally has a wine cellars market. That is not happening, but there will be many stalls of vintners out in the open. Trier is planning a market with a 2G area, i.e. one part for everyone and a fenced-off area for only vaccinated and recovered people.

For some events and venues (I do not mean normal restaurants, they are fine) it is tough luck if you cannot prove your medical status, you cannot get in as testing is not an option. Carry your CDC card or QR code around with you.

I have not heard anything how strict they are with the "recovered" status of six months, I mean at six months and one day you do not turn into a fire-spewing dragon, seeing that virologists say protection can easily be eight months, but be aware of the expiry date. Us Germans like order and rules. 😉

Come to think of it, the French have lost a bit of their laissez-faire and are easily as strict as us right now.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Have just read that the Christkindl will not give her customary address during the opening ceremony of the Nuremberg market from the balcony. This is to avoid large crowds gathering. The address will be virtual, broadcast on television, etc. Details in German with a video of impressions from the recent past: https://www.nordbayern.de/details-fix-so-wird-der-nurnberger-christkindlesmarkt-2021-1.11452499

Basically, spaced out over a much wider area. The Christkindl will not do visits to the market this year.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added info