Caribbean itineraries on Oceania

nursinadream

11 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

My 17 Nov 2021 Rome to Miami TA will stop at Gustavia, St. Barts. Oceania has 0 (zero) shore excursions for this port, and I read on the ports section of cruisecritic that cruisers are NOT welcome at this port. 
Any suggestions on how we could/should spend our time in the port? 
Thx!

Robin, if you haven't checked in a long time, there are shore excursions now listed for St Barts for our cruise on November 17.

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

You are being a bit harsh on the Caribbean.  Although we have long (decades) been active world travelers we still enjoy heading down to the Caribbean at least once a year.  Since we love the sea, sun and sand the Caribbean has all of that although I would be the first to agree that there are some islands where we think the best way to spend a day is on the ship.  But St Barts is a really charming island (popular with many jet setters and others of means) where one can enjoy the relatively unspoiled beaches and world-class restaurants (some right on the beaches).  The Caribbean is also a fantastic region for those who enjoy SCUBA and snorkeling.

Hank

Perhaps a crewed charter where the thundering herds can be avoided. But, way too many big cruise ships ruined what allure existed many years ago.

We were looking forward to a great beach cruise but maybe not so much anymore. I'm quite sure that the guys on the private charter yacht will think your Oceania ship is a monstrosity. I was always taught that $$ doesn't know who owns it.

1 minute ago, fizzy said:

We were looking forward to a great beach cruise but maybe not so much anymore. I'm quite sure that the guys on the private charter yacht will think your Oceania ship is a monstrosity. I was always taught that $$ doesn't know who owns it.

Crewed charters (anywhere in the world) can be very reasonably priced (in fact, with a little research, it might not cost much more per person than some balcony cabins. Check it out with any reputable charter broker (a good size would be a 60’ catamaran with 2 crew and 8 passengers).
That said, whatever the cruise line and regardless of the size, cruise ships in the Caribbean are just not our usual cup of tea.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, CAG said:

Robin, if you haven't checked in a long time, there are shore excursions now listed for St Barts for our cruise on November 17.

THANKS! I did check just before posting, but I think I probably was navigating the wrong part of the booking process. So thank you for pointing this out to me!

52 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Perhaps a crewed charter where the thundering herds can be avoided. But, way too many big cruise ships ruined what allure existed many years ago.

Yes, we can agree about the mega ships.  And, of course, there are no large ships moving along the West Coast to the Mexican Riviera and Alaska.  After all, we know that you folks in CA would never allow over crowding, big ships, too many cars, etc.

One reason I specifically took you to task about St Barts is because that island does not host mega ships.  And there are plenty of other islands (Anguilla being a good one) that do not even allow any cruise ships.  You might also consider that if you go swimming or diving in the Caribbean the water temperature will likely be in the high 70s to 80s, the water will by crystal clear, and you do not need to be concerned with shark attacks.   I do think the Caribbean gets a bad rap by folks that only see it from a mega ship.

Hank

• Like 6

I suppose it depends on how far you have to travel to get to the Caribbean. For me its at least 9 hours so it is kind of exotic. 

France isn’t that exotic and fancy for me but that’s because it’s next door 😉

• Like 6

The Carribean is not the only issue. I was recently corresponding with an old business friend from Kiwi Land. He thinks it might be the 24/25 tourist season in NZ before cruise ships are allowed back in. Land travel visitors might restart next summer, but not cruising. He says the locals are just tired of the sea gulls. They come off the ships squawking and crapping and never want to spend a dollar. They never want to spend a buck, but believe they should get free toilet paper from all the merchants. People are finding it a relief to not have the sea gulls in town. Cruisers are their own worst enemy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

They never want to spend a buck,

I suspect Orlando and Niagara Falls complain about tourists as well.

New Zealand, with a population of 5 million and the sheep outnumber the people 10 to 1, the cruise industry employs over 10k and brings in over $300 million a year of which the passengers account for over half of that amount.

‘If cruise was a country it would be third for international visitors behind Australia and China. Tourism is . 5% of the GDP and 14% of the workforce. 

New Zealand to reopen tourism in early 2022

http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/new-zealand-covid-19-restrictions-intl-hnk/index.html

Edited by Robjame

Lots of ports are banning or limiting mega cruise ships.  Key West, Santorini, Venice and Dubrovnik for example.  I think the pause caused by Covid led lots of countries to reevaluate  the benefit or lack thereof of allowing cruise ships to dock.  It seems that some of the poorer Caribbean countries depend on tourists spending more than other parts of the world.  Alaska is also feeling the loss of cruise ship passengers.  The size of the Oceania ships and the relative affluence of their passengers is well suited to visiting lots of ports where mega ships may not be welcome.  When visiting Caribbean ports of call we try not to be the “Ugly Americans” and support their economy by dining, drinking, using local tour guides and shopping as much as possible.  I know they all seem the same but there’s always something to enjoy if you do a little research.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Roccaforte said:

Lots of ports are banning or limiting mega cruise ships.  Key West, Santorini, Venice and Dubrovnik for example.  I think the pause caused by Covid led lots of countries to reevaluate  the benefit or lack thereof of allowing cruise ships to dock.  It seems that some of the poorer Caribbean countries depend on tourists spending more than other parts of the world.  Alaska is also feeling the loss of cruise ship passengers.  The size of the Oceania ships and the relative affluence of their passengers is well suited to visiting lots of ports where mega ships may not be welcome.  When visiting Caribbean ports of call we try not to be the “Ugly Americans” and support their economy by dining, drinking, using local tour guides and shopping as much as possible.  I know they all seem the same but there’s always something to enjoy if you do a little research.

You may be surprised at the number of seagulls on Oceania. Those that rarely get off the ship; or if they do, they’re back on for lunch. The islands look the same to them because they rarely get more than 500 meters from the dock. It’s their dime. They’re paying for what they want to do, but it doesn’t mean it helps the locals at all. I’m betting you’ll hear “ the ship is the destination “ on this forum far more than on the mass market line’s forums.

On 9/26/2021 at 3:51 PM, espmass said:

We always do a Caribbean cruise in February because we live in cold NJ and it's a chance to just get away without it being a long trip or flight.  We too have been to most of the islands many times previously on Celebrity, RCI, and Princess.  This February (2/7/22) will be our first time on Oceania and while some say it's a waste of the Oceania experience, we are totally excited.  To us, it's the fun of the ship, food, etc rather than the islands.  However, in past travels we have somehow missed St Barts and Guadalupe which are on this cruise so perhaps you, Nursinadream, can tell me something about those two islands since you have been to them all.  With no cruising for the past year there is very little current info on the ports of call board.  Thanks.

We are on that cruise also. Not sure if you joined but it does have a reasonably active roll call if you want to join. Someone was putting together a tour in Guadeloupe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

You may be surprised at the number of seagulls on Oceania. Those that rarely get off the ship; or if they do, they’re back on for lunch. The islands look the same to them because they rarely get more than 500 meters from the dock. It’s their dime. They’re paying for what they want to do, but it doesn’t mean it helps the locals at all. I’m betting you’ll hear “ the ship is the destination “ on this forum far more than on the mass market line’s forums.

First time I have ever been labeled as a "seagull".  

I loved watching those annoying creatures as they grabbed hot dogs right out of the kids' hands at the Jersey shore.  

Now they snatch money from the pockets of the locals?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Robjame said:

I suspect Orlando and Niagara Falls complain about tourists as well.

New Zealand, with a population of 5 million and the sheep outnumber the people 10 to 1, the cruise industry employs over 10k and brings in over $300 million a year of which the passengers account for over half of that amount.

‘If cruise was a country it would be third for international visitors behind Australia and China. Tourism is . 5% of the GDP and 14% of the workforce. 

New Zealand to reopen tourism in early 2022

http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/new-zealand-covid-19-restrictions-intl-hnk/index.html

There are 26 million sheep in NZ, not 50 million.  I believe it's 8% of the workforce, but that does include domestic tourism.

https://www.tourismnewzealand.com/about/about-the-tourism-industry/

On 9/26/2021 at 10:39 PM, PhD-iva said:

My 17 Nov 2021 Rome to Miami TA will stop at Gustavia, St. Barts. Oceania has 0 (zero) shore excursions for this port, and I read on the ports section of cruisecritic that cruisers are NOT welcome at this port. 
Any suggestions on how we could/should spend our time in the port? 
Thx!

We’ve been to St Barts twice and love the shopping and French restaurants. This time heading to Shell Beach for a morning swim then lunch at Shellonia . 

• Like 4

On 9/27/2021 at 10:52 AM, Hlitner said:

I do think the Caribbean gets a bad rap by folks that only see it from a mega ship.

Hank

I agree, and that is easy for me to do since I live in the upper Midwest and just feel fortunate to be able to take in the warmth and salt air. Someday we'll go much further in our travels, but right now we are not willing to spend the extra money for air. I do admit that Oceania's air inclusion is confusing to me and I am still trying to figure it out.

On 9/29/2021 at 3:14 PM, etoileip31 said:

We’ve been to St Barts twice and love the shopping and French restaurants. This time heading to Shell Beach for a morning swim then lunch at Shellonia . 

I cannot imagine taking an excursion on St Barts.  Folks go to that island for the beaches, weather, and food!   When we have been to St Barts it has been about a day on the beach with a decent meal.  As I previously posted, that island has some of the best (and most expensive) restaurants in the Caribbean.

Hank

• Like 5

We’ve cruised Oceania to many exotic ports but still cruise to Caribbean 1-2 times yearly. 
We leave home and are on board in an hour. Northerners have a short plane ride and get out of the cold. It’s a wonderful vacation and you most certainly get the full Oceania experience. I do agree about not needing an excursion in St. Barts. If time permits, we taxi over to Pearl Beach, get lounges and have lunch. Shell Beach is near ship but as named, it’s all shells..,,bring water shoes.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 12:34 PM, nursinadream said:

We've been to the Caribbean several times.  Did cruises with our kids and grandids (Disney), parents (RCCL), workmates (Celebrity), Bareboat charter (BVI), and we lived on St Thomas while I was working.  Husband's summary is been there, done that - and we live in South Florida.  Is there something about an Oceania cruise to that region that might wow us or entice us (especially him) in anyway?

I enjoy this board and read most everyday.  Vikings and Baltic Shores cruise coming up late in 2022, our first one in many years and our first Oceania.

Thanks, Deb

This is an excellent question Deb. 

We had initially thought our first O trip would be in the Mediterranean (an excellent cruise leaves in April, 2022). 

The combination of saving money and agita on transatlantic flights, the international COVID fears ... all of it. It just made it simpler to enjoy our first near luxury experience on a trip to a familiar locale. 

These aren't inexpensive vacations even at $300 a night. And Europe realistically is more like $450 or even $600, by time you are done with absurdly overpriced excursions and even just a little fun onboard. 

I'm not expecting much when we go to the ports. I will say that contrary to what Hank (HLitner) is saying, none of these locations are safe and especially St. Barts. Many if not all of them have been listed among the most dangerous vacation spots in the world, including Martinique and St. Lucia. I am expecting some blow-my-socks off food. 

On 9/29/2021 at 12:14 PM, etoileip31 said:

Our 1st cruise was Regatta Caribbean, & we had a wonderful lunch in St. Bart's. I remember Ray Carr, the cruise director, giving me some grief about spending money for a meal on shore, rather than having lunch on the ship. Eating local cuisine is a good way to get a "taste" of local culture as well as supporting their economy.

• Like 2

On 9/29/2021 at 10:24 PM, PhD-iva said:

Thanks for all the good ideas provided here. The good news is that there are several shore excursions offered now on Saint Barts. I was looking in the wrong part of the website to manage my reservation.

I wouldn’t book an excursion in St Barts.  There are taxis and vans that will take you on an 1 hr to 1.5 hr tour around the island.  I love to go to St Jean Beach, get a beach chair and watch the planes come in.  There are several shops and cafes in the area.  Eating at Eden Rock will be very expensive but there are less expensive places nearby

1598801009_StJeanBeach.thumb.jpg.211a219b8be359a22972ce58acdb1f0e.jpg

Back to the original question, one of the best things about a Caribbean cruise if you live in Naples, FL is that it's such an easy vacation.  After a roughly 2-hour drive, you're on a beautiful floating resort with most of your needs being met.  Compared to the other cruise lines you've been on, O has smaller ships, a more relaxed atmosphere, and better food.  Afternoon tea is not to be missed.  No extra charges to eat in specialty restaurants.  Eat whenever you want--no assigned seatings.  Tables for 2 or you may share if you prefer.  O may go to some islands that you haven't visited, which may not matter to your husband.  

• Like 2

We love St Barts. Fun to tender in to the port and admire the mega yachts, hop on a catamaran to the marine preserve and snorkel with the turtles. The *best* excursion ever!  In addition to the reef, foodwise, they served champagne (not sparkling wine) in lieu of rum punch and brie and baguettes instead of jerk chicken and macaroni salad. Best of all? they threw noodles in the water and we all drifted around the boat listening to lovely French tunes, champagne glasses in hand--none of that safety vest and dolladolladolla stuff.

We then pop into Hermes to grab a bottle of not-to-be-found-elsewhere fragrance--and maybe a scarf, then wander into Gustavia proper. Relaxed and low key, all the way around.

(PS--You can do this from St Martin too...)

• Like 1