Caribbean itineraries on Oceania

nursinadream

13 hours ago, sofietucker said:

We love St Barts. Fun to tender in to the port and admire the mega yachts, hop on a catamaran to the marine preserve and snorkel with the turtles. The *best* excursion ever!  In addition to the reef, foodwise, they served champagne (not sparkling wine) in lieu of rum punch and brie and baguettes instead of jerk chicken and macaroni salad. Best of all? they threw noodles in the water and we all drifted around the boat listening to lovely French tunes, champagne glasses in hand--none of that safety vest and dolladolladolla stuff.

We then pop into Hermes to grab a bottle of not-to-be-found-elsewhere fragrance--and maybe a scarf, then wander into Gustavia proper. Relaxed and low key, all the way around.

(PS--You can do this from St Martin too...)

One tidbit is that if you visit St Barts from St Maarten I believe you must bring along a valid Passport in order to clear St Barts immigration.

Hank

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

One tidbit is that if you visit St Barts from St Maarten I believe you must bring along a valid Passport in order to clear St Barts immigration.

Hank

good to know! We've gone over from "France" (St Martin side) but that was long ago, lol.

2 hours ago, sofietucker said:

good to know! We've gone over from "France" (St Martin side) but that was long ago, lol.

Isn't all of St Barts French? Didn't know there was any other side. St Martin/Sint Maarten, which is a completely separate island, on the other hand is French & Dutch. 

Edited by ORV

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Isn't all of St Barts French? Didn't know there was any other side. St Martin/Sint Maarten, which is a completely separate island, on the other hand is French & Dutch. 

Hilitner said "if you visit St Barts from St Maarten"...which is Dutch! And this very common day trip  often departs from the St Martin/French "side" of the land mass too. I replied that we left from St Martin (the French side of the dual -country island known as St Maarten Dutch, and St Martin--one must pay in euros on this "side"), to the also French island of St Barts.

My supposition about our not being required to show passports* at that time is that perhaps it was because we went from one French island to another French island.  

*We also did not have to show passports when we stopped there on the Prinsendam, but I expect that was--as with many cruises--becuase the ship provided a manifest to the port.

Edited by sofietucker

to the original poster, and to those that say "one and done" regarding Caribbean sailings ...

Our planned excursions ...

taking a 4x4 into the jungles of Martinique, well off the beaten path and through the rainforests, fording rivers and adjoining plantations through natural paths.

In St. Lucia, being part of a small group going through 8 zip lines across the tops of the sky canopy, affording beautiful vistas,

and finally at St. John's, dining in the private home of a chef, being taught local cuisine and enjoying a marvelous terrace with cocktails overlooking the bay at Antigua.

I'm pretty sure you won't find the level of intimacy afforded on Oceania on any mainline, 3500 cruise ship. I'm not expecting to be herded onto a bus along side a bus from several other cruise lines to a destination where we will be part of 500 other visitors. 

Granted, I've never been on Oceania. I think you make the destination exciting and exhilarating, refurbishing your soul by getting the opportunity to immerse yourself. 

For myself, I couldn't be more excited about finally getting away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/26/2021 at 10:39 PM, PhD-iva said:

My 17 Nov 2021 Rome to Miami TA will stop at Gustavia, St. Barts. Oceania has 0 (zero) shore excursions for this port, and I read on the ports section of cruisecritic that cruisers are NOT welcome at this port. 
Any suggestions on how we could/should spend our time in the port? 
Thx!

1st time to these beautiful islands? Wow, are you in for a treat. We have been to all, including (Dominican Republic) , but not Puerto Plata; we're really looking forward to that, and already eyeing a tour for that port.
    I posted this prior, you may have missed it. When you get a chance, have your husband take a peek at:  http://www.thepreismans.com/riviera_mayan.htm
It's a cruise we took on the Riviera with our friends Mike and Carol (she has since passed).
It's a review, complete with photos and menus. I'm sure a few items have changed, but he'll get the idea.

The closest beach on St Barts is within walking distance after we get tendered.
Fort Karl overlooks Shell Beach, which also has a nice restaurant on site.
Google a map, and you'll also find a grocery store on the way back in the event you would like to pick up some wine etc, to bring back to the ship. There is a Visitor's Bureau right on the harbor with LOTS of info maps etc....
Across from the boat dock is a small pub/ restaurant where you can get an ice cold Presidente while waiting for the next tender.
PS..a must is the Anglican Church.

Barbara 🌴

8 hours ago, alibaba1 said:

1st time to these beautiful islands? Wow, are you in for a treat. We have been to all, including (Dominican Republic) , but not Puerto Plata; we're really looking forward to that, and already eyeing a tour for that port.
    I posted this prior, you may have missed it. When you get a chance, have your husband take a peek at:  http://www.thepreismans.com/riviera_mayan.htm
It's a cruise we took on the Riviera with our friends Mike and Carol (she has since passed).
It's a review, complete with photos and menus. I'm sure a few items have changed, but he'll get the idea.

The closest beach on St Barts is within walking distance after we get tendered.
Fort Karl overlooks Shell Beach, which also has a nice restaurant on site.
Google a map, and you'll also find a grocery store on the way back in the event you would like to pick up some wine etc, to bring back to the ship. There is a Visitor's Bureau right on the harbor with LOTS of info maps etc....
Across from the boat dock is a small pub/ restaurant where you can get an ice cold Presidente while waiting for the next tender.
PS..a must is the Anglican Church.

Barbara 🌴

Thx!