Underwater Camera

BoozinCroozin

I wanted to see what people use for snorkeling and underwater video/photography. I have a GoPro Hero 7 Black and Insta360 One R Twin Edition. I am not 100% sold on keeping the Insta360 and may choose to go to a better P&S underwater camera. Just wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations. 

I had the TG-4 and just sold it. It was an older camera collecting dust. What is running in the back of my head is that the GoPro and Insta360 will not be good enough for snorkeling. I guess I will keep my eye on videos of the two and learn how to use them before we go. If they are not up to par on this first cruise, I will look into another for our April cruise.

On 9/27/2021 at 4:20 AM, BoozinCroozin said:

I had the TG-4 and just sold it. It was an older camera collecting dust. What is running in the back of my head is that the GoPro and Insta360 will not be good enough for snorkeling. I guess I will keep my eye on videos of the two and learn how to use them before we go. If they are not up to par on this first cruise, I will look into another for our April cruise.

Curious why you think the GoPro isn't good for underwater? We use ours quite a bit when we snorkel and it does a great job for us. I know there are high end rigs that pros use, but the GoPro is easy and has all the features we need. It is meant for video and not a still camera, is that it?

Just now, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

Curious why you think the GoPro isn't good for underwater? We use ours quite a bit when we snorkel and it does a great job for us. I know there are high end rigs that pros use, but the GoPro is easy and has all the features we need. It is meant for video and not a still camera, is that it?

It is just that I have not used it for snorkeling yet. I don't have an opportunity until we do go snorkeling. I want to be sure I won't be missing anything. 

Did you just use the dive case with yours or did you use that dome thing?

We don't have either case. The camera is waterproof to 30 feet as is. you need the case if you go deeper. 

I would recommend either the flex handle(?) with strap or the floaty handle because the camera is small and will sink if it slips from your hand. But I have my face mask that has a fork mount and the camera can attach directly to the mask too.

The camera has a lot of meta data so you can color correct later, but a filter to add back some of the red that washes out underwater.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 7:58 PM, BoozinCroozin said:

I wanted to see what people use for snorkeling and underwater video/photography. I have a GoPro Hero 7 Black and Insta360 One R Twin Edition. I am not 100% sold on keeping the Insta360 and may choose to go to a better P&S underwater camera. Just wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations. 

I still love my little Nikon, my DJI Action is also great, unfortunately I don't have my video posted from Bermuda yet. I'm hesitant about the GoPro 10, I recently shot some video for a review and the camera leaked. They are supposed to send me a new one

The DJI Action has yet to fail me, its also a great price $199.....    https://amzn.to/2ZGGr8w

The Nikon W300 is very hard to beat for an all around underwater and ground based camera. Its my go to camera when I want something to fit in my pocket. It takes excellent photos along with 4K video 

https://amzn.to/3ohEIR5

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DJDiver said:

This clip was shot with a GoPro while I was scuba diving.  You can see the effect of having a red filter on the camera.  If you are only snorkeling, though, you really won't need a filter as you'll be on or close to the surface, so the colors won't be washed out.  

Quite a clear and dramatic difference. Thanks!

• Like 1