Britannia not stopping at Italy

P&O SUE

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Just seen ‘elsewhere’ that on the current Britannia cruise Italy won’t let them dock. They’ve added Valencia and Alicante instead. I could cope with that!

You wouldn’t have much choice if you was on the ship, if it is actually true what should have p&o done turned the ship around and come home

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Just seen ‘elsewhere’ that on the current Britannia cruise Italy won’t let them dock. They’ve added Valencia and Alicante instead. I could cope with that!

We are currently in Spain on Fred cruise and able to dock and go ashore independently in all Spanish ports until Thursday, when Spain make their decision on requirements for the following week. 

Princess have said if we dock in Italy for our 22nd October cruise, we will need excursions to go ashore, unless Italy's requirements change before then.

We have only got WiFi  in ports, so may not be able to answer any queries about my post promptly, but am interested in any events regards Italy because of our Princess cruise.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

You wouldn’t have much choice if you was on the ship, if it is actually true what should have p&o done turned the ship around and come home

Not quite sure what you’re saying? I haven’t questioned the decision to change ports at all - just thought people who are going soon would like to know. I have a port stop in Italy next year so interested myself.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, richardj said:

Could this have something to do with Italy not recognising the Covishield vaccine? Some Caribbean islands are also refusing to recognise this vaccine.

Richardj

Tried doing a search but nothing at this moment in time coming up

So I mentioned this on another thread the other day. Britannia left Southampton not knowing what the tour policy was for Italy but P&O had been told they could dock. On this basis, they advised passengers upon boarding that it was bubbled excursions only.

Today, P&O were told that Britannia could not dock in Italy. Whether this is not dock full stop, or, not allow passengers off even on bubbled excursions isn't clear. The reason behind the move is yet unclear but as others have pointed out, its not just P&O affected and most definitely an about turn from the Italian authorities.

P&O already have many plan B's in place in case a particular country goes Red / into local lockdown. That plan meant Italy was swiftly swapped out for more Spain. Not ideal but could have been worse.

As for Covidshield, the actual detail was somewhat different to that run by the Sunday papers back in July.

"We have received a number of queries relating to Covid AstraZeneca batch numbers 4120Z001, 4120Z002 and 4120Z003 following the suggestion by the media that individuals vaccinated with these batch numbers would be prohibited from travelling to Europe under the vaccine passport scheme. The only difference in the above listed batches from other AZ vaccines given in the UK being they were manufactured in India rather than within Europe. A Government spokesperson said: “The government has confirmed that no ‘Covidshield’ vaccines have been administered in the UK and that all AstraZeneca vaccines given in the UK (including those appearing in the batches listed at the top of this post) appear on the NHS COVID Pass as Vaxzevria."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

We are onboard now and P&O Sue is correct.  The captain advised us late yesterday afternoon that Italy would not be allowing us to dock there and that we will be docking at two extra ports in Spain instead. The ports we are now expecting to call at are Alicante and Valencia as Sue said.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, BestGuessed said:

We are onboard now and P&O Sue is correct.  The captain advised us late yesterday afternoon that Italy would not be allowing us to dock there and that we will be docking at two extra ports in Spain instead. The ports we are now expecting to call at are Alicante and Valencia as Sue said.

Thankyou for confirming. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Not quite sure what you’re saying? I haven’t questioned the decision to change ports at all - just thought people who are going soon would like to know. I have a port stop in Italy next year so interested myself.

I too could live with missing the Italian ports and doing some additional Spanish Stops. We are off to Spain next week, rules permitting. We have to learn to be flexible in our plans. If necessary, Barcelona instead of Naples don't matter much. You can Buy DW watches in Barcelona for 10 Euro. The young African chap assured me they were genuine.

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

I too could live with missing the Italian ports and doing some additional Spanish Stops. We are off to Spain next week, rules permitting. We have to learn to be flexible in our plans. If necessary, Barcelona instead of Naples don't matter much. You can Buy DW watches in Barcelona for 10 Euro. The young African chap assured me they were genuine.

Are you on a cruise zap or flying? Have a good time either way!

49 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I met his cousin in Vigo a few years ago.

35 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Thanks. Flying to Menorca. No more cruises booked till next year now, but a couple of Fly aways.

Zap I would be interested to hear about your experience at the airports when you come back if you care to report back.

Enjoy the sunshine, it has to be better than the cold rain here today.

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

Zap I would be interested to hear about your experience at the airports when you come back if you care to report back.

Enjoy the sunshine, it has to be better than the cold rain here today.

Ok, happy to oblige. I guess it will all be a bit strange. First time for nearly 2 years.

• Thanks 1