Why no vegetables?

CruisingNole

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

ASK...I promise you they will.  I'm sure the lack of seasoning is because of salt restrictions for a lot of folks.

I honestly just forget every time I order. So it's part my fault for forgetting until the veggies show up and I'm like ugh. 

20 hours ago, dasi11 said:

My husband is on a special diet.  He gets plates of steamed veggies and very plain chicken or fish.  Never been a problem in the past.

He orders it the day before from the waiter or head waiter.  

same here (not the diet part, though). We've ordered a plate of steamed veggies for the kiddo and had no problems getting it. Most of the time we don't have to, because we can just give him all the veggies off of my plate, since I eat meat and seafood while I cruise, not veggies.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

21 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I've never been served just one piece of broccoli. You can have mone as I wouldn't touch it. I want mine cooked soft, not crunchy. 

Oven roasted vegetables are the best vegetables.  IMHO...YMMV. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I always ask for more vegetables and they are happy to do it for me. Yes I agree they give no thank you helping on the cruise. I need my salad and veg as I need to eat healthy. It’s vacation. But you need to be in good shape so you can keep on crusin

On 9/27/2021 at 6:03 PM, poocher said:

A quick steam is all most veggies need, a pinch of salt a quick toss with butter or evoo.  As a child (a LONG time ago!). I remember my mother boiling the }#%# out of veggies.  No wonder we didn’t want to eat those limp soggy tasteless things!

My mother would go to the supermarket and pick each fresh string bean by hand one at a time. Then she would cut them French style with a gadget she had. Unfortunately she boiled them like your mother did and they just were a mess. She could have saved a lot of time by just heating up a can of Delmonte or Green Giant green beans and would have the same result. We roast vegetables in the oven. They taste so much better. I don't know why that wasn't a thing in the 60's and 70's.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

My mother would go to the supermarket and pick each fresh string bean by hand one at a time. Then she would cut them French style with a gadget she had. Unfortunately she boiled them like your mother did and they just were a mess. She could have saved a lot of time by just heating up a can of Delmonte or Green Giant green beans and would have the same result. We roast vegetables in the oven. They taste so much better. I don't know why that wasn't a thing in the 60's and 70's.

My mother did the same thing.  Also cooked meat so dry you could nail it onto your shoe and walk away.

• Haha 2

I’m embarrassed to admit that I eat hockey pucks.  Ever since I was pregnant with my now 36 year old daughter, I like my burgers on the grill to be WELL DONE!  Ya know the one that’s been on the grill since the party started?  Slap a piece of cheese on it and give it to me.  Hubby knows it’s gotta crunch when I bite into it.  I don’t know why.  I don’t eat them that way if we’re out at like a sports bar or pub.  I don’t eat anything else that way, just backyard burgers. Weird pregnancy left over🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, poocher said:

I’m embarrassed to admit that I eat hockey pucks.  Ever since I was pregnant with my now 36 year old daughter, I like my burgers on the grill to be WELL DONE!  Ya know the one that’s been on the grill since the party started?  Slap a piece of cheese on it and give it to me.  Hubby knows it’s gotta crunch when I bite into it.  I don’t know why.  I don’t eat them that way if we’re out at like a sports bar or pub.  I don’t eat anything else that way, just backyard burgers. Weird pregnancy left over🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

That's my mother.  I never knew any other way to eat beef until I was an adult.  I thought I didn't like it any other way.  I now eat it medium well, with a little pink.  My DH and youngest DS love medium rare. My oldest DS really prefers well done.  As for the veggies, I usually get a salad as a starter and occasionally ask for more. 

Someone at our table loved the asparagus, and then the mushrooms, so much that they asked for more.  A few of us said "they look good".  Waiter brought a family-style bowl of each to our table every night thereafter.  We all cleaned the bowl.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 5:28 PM, CruisingNole said:

Well, the title says it all. Why can’t Royal include a decent serving of fresh vegetables with an entree? And no, one piece of broccoli does not count.

More than likely they throw out(grind up) more vegetables than anything else. So it would make sense to cut back on portions. 

We eat a lot of vegetables but sometimes it hard to eat the vegetables when were out because of how they are prepared.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 4:28 PM, CruisingNole said:

Well, the title says it all. Why can’t Royal include a decent serving of fresh vegetables with an entree? And no, one piece of broccoli does not count.

It’s not just royal, this is an issue with every cruise line. I’m guessing it has to do with food storage