The Daily for Tuesday September 28, 2021

richwmn

Well the appliance gremlins did not pass me by. My appliance repair guru called to tell me LG just notified him that they have discontinued the mother board for my dishwasher. 😞

Anyone have any experience with Bosch dishwashers? Anything to like or dislike about them. They “sound” good online, but…

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Well the appliance gremlins did not pass me by. My appliance repair guru called to tell me LG just notified him that they have discontinued the mother board for my dishwasher. 😞

Anyone have any experience with Bosch dishwashers? Anything to like or dislike about them. They “sound” good online, but…

I have a Bosch on the recommendation of a friend. Another friend and another.   I LOVE it.  Quietest dishwasher I have ever had.  So far so good (don’t want to jinx myself) and it’s been in my kitchen for some time.  Very pleased with the job it does, the option to do 1/2 load, express load, etc or let it choose auto.

Sorry to hear that the appliance gremlin has struck you 😢 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

@cat shepard I also have  had a Bosch for about a year. I got hit with the appliance gremlins at that time.  I did a lot of research and ended up with the 500 series.  The other models seem to have features that I would never use so why pay for them. It is by far, the quietest dishwasher I have ever owned. I would not even know it was on except for the  small red light it shines on the floor when operating.  I got it at Best Buy, they also had the best price at that time.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

I have a Bosch dishwasher. My house came with a KitchenAid dishwasher that was 35+ years old when it died and no parts were available. I'd heard/read good things about Bosch, so went with it. It is so quiet compared to my old one. And I like the selection of options, including one to sanitize. Since it's just me, I'm not a heavy user. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Love my Bosch!  My California cousin has one, I loaded it a few times when we were staying with them, the third rack is wonderful.  We got one with the door that matches our cabinets, 5 years ago.  We run it probably every second or third day.   I had stainless steel cutlery that was looking grungy, and I had been looking for a new set, when we started using the Bosch, suddenly it was like new again.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Such a great collection of days!  Thanks to Rich, Roy, and recipe/wine/drink ladies.  We are all so much better informed by reading the Daily.  I also have seen so many interesting, beautiful places throughout the world thanks to so many well traveled special people.  

it is a beautiful Autumn day here.  A small chance of rain, but that remains to be seen.  Guess the fall colors are at their peak in the mountains, but I won’t get a chance to go up before the colors fade.

Off to get a manicure this afternoon.  Have to attend a meeting for Red Cross tomorrow about 60 miles away, so don’t want to appear unkempt.

I am thinking I won’t cancel my Panama Canal cruise  in January/February so am starting to consider shore excursions.  Four ports I have ever visited before, so it is fun to research!  

Have a great day, everyone!

• Like 24

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Early in my career I was told the only stupid question is one that wasn't asked.  We are blessed with good neighbours and are appreciative of our public lands.  

Another beautiful day in the offing - yesterday we hit a high of +29C and are expecting the same today.  We revel in these days, knowing full well they will soon be replaced with many months of minus degree temperatures.  Yesterday we took advantage of the good weather to clean out the fountain - it was getting pretty grimy from all the birds and their bathing, and setting it back up again.  It's amazing how much water they go through with all the splooshing and splashing they do!

I like today's menu suggestion, but we are carnivores, so will certainly be making it with ground beef.  I like having chili on hand in the freezer, so I think today I'll break out the slow cooker, toss everything together and let it cook all day.  Accompanied by a crisp green salad and crusty buns, that's going to be what will be on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

@Quartzsite Cruiserwe have a 1992 Jaguar XJS as our topless ride.  I do love Volvos; they look so cool!

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, wash your hands, be well, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Jaguars were my dream car and a 68-74 XJ was the one i wanted.  We almost bought a used one but got a new Volvo station wagon instead.

• Like 11

Good Afternoon,

What a pleasure it is to be back in the daily.  Have any of you ever gotten sick while on vacation?  It is no fun at all.  The late Erma Bombeck wrote a book about it, "When you look like you passport photo, it's time to go home"....well I certainly looked like mine!  At least I took a few of pictures of the trip itself that I hope to post in the coming days.  

Thoughts and prayers to all that need them.  I'm trying to get caught up on all the news.

Have a wonderful day everybody!

• Like 34

8 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  We have a mantra in the Fire Service, "There are no stupid questions, only stupid mistakes".  A big salute to Good Neighbors and Public Lands.  I love the Mead quote but will pass on the chili.  I have been through Prince Christian sound just once on the Crystal Symphony before I started doing reports and don't think I have any photos.  My alternate menu suggestion is tea goodies as served on MS Oosterdam September 28, 2017:

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/tea1.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer but responding VERY well
StLouisSal’s friend
Lady Hudson’s BIL in rehab
Sam in rehab an hour away from home but released Thursday
Sharon’s young friend Jakob recovering at home from Covid
Smitty34877's DGS and DGD with pediatric covid
Tuesday colonoscopy for Jazzyv
From the rotation:
Me awaiting PET test results
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Cruising-along on Eurodam
Welcome home NextOne, DS and DDIL
Jajmd on Nieuw Amsterdam
Great upsells for Aliaschief and SharoninAz
Icand9223 away on river cruise
Atexsix is ok
Belated Happy Anniversary to Cruising-
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy  just a  short   update  went  back  to  the  clinic  to  have  a  neck

dressing  removed  today  and  everyhhing  is  good   and   healed  well.

Jim.

• Like 24

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Ann, did your appliance guru or you check Amazon?  We've gotten alliance boards from there.  They might still have one in stock.  It's worth checking.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you all!

@kazu

@cunnorl

@JazzyV

I appreciate you sharing your experiences!

I really hope it fits @aliaschief

I love the idea of it cleaning my stainless! My old one refused to remove water spots on my stainless knives. 

Oh it does a great job on stainless, believe me and on crystal and glass wear.  Mine recommended using Finish.  I’ve been very impressed.

I have run mine 6 times in one day after my summer parties ( I use real dishes and cutlery and glasses - no paper, plastic, etc) and everything comes out beautifully.  I think as far as dishwashers go, they really got it right.  

@SusieKIslandGirlmakes a good point.  At first I was stymied and then learned tricks to load and has worked well.  Good luck with the new dishwasher whatever you get. 🤞 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  
Loving the photos Of Prince Christian sound!  @GeorgeCharlie 😱yikes!  Did you make it in the other entrance?  

Yes we did.😀

By lunchtime we had made it to the southern tip of Greenland. Weather had improved, although still a little windy, the sea were much smoother.

Once we got into the Sound it was smooth sailing, with only a few icebergs.

701445986_pw17.jpg.babb122460ba0fa79793db8c4e75e508.jpg

The Crow's Nest is always one of the most common viewing spots, especially when it's cold out.

1960566036_pw15.jpg.ccdd1e6e9c2bb4296a1b2615434083cf.jpg

People were seated several rows deep.

755721578_pw20.jpg.f1ca04b63a3e405a6a2e1264e2c8087a.jpg

Of course, some intrepid people were out on the decks braving the weather.

2102813503_pw21.jpg.e9bbec62e57ca3518f8ad91eb9d0b371.jpg

424625563_pw22.jpg.690ff5ec26aea80facf8d6f5b046c298.jpg

This is a snapshot of what was showing on our tv. It shows how far we went before we turned around.

1852443875_pw11.jpg.c1b002f973d9d6576ce1c6c735940159.jpg

Here's a picture showing the full length of the sound and you can see we only made it into the western bend of the sound.

1891315893_osm-intl860.1-43.7260x300.png.de30ae366483a0c045b8a6c56e290be9.png

Even though we only got a truncated view of the sound, it was still a fantastic experience.

• Like 31

44 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Good Afternoon,

What a pleasure it is to be back in the daily.  Have any of you ever gotten sick while on vacation?  It is no fun at all.  The late Erma Bombeck wrote a book about it, "When you look like you passport photo, it's time to go home"....well I certainly looked like mine!  At least I took a few of pictures of the trip itself that I hope to post in the coming days.  

Thoughts and prayers to all that need them.  I'm trying to get caught up on all the news.

Pleased to hear from you and hopefully you are feeling a lot better now.

Having good health is a blessing we all take for granted until our health takes a downturn.

Hopefully everyone has a nice and safe day.

Graham.

• Like 14

46 minutes ago, irishjim said:

Jim.

Great news Jim.

I'm really pleased for you.

Graham.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

The following is the captain’s comments on the possibilities of us sailing the Prince Christian Sound during our fall 2018 cruise on the Zuiderdam. 

At breakfast that morning, due to the heavy seas, the staff had to quickly clear the settings off the tables which were not occupied and place them on the floor for safety - there was a lot of broken dishes.

227954204_pw1.jpg.5f2c26256327d83b2ba587461ee17036.jpg

Our cabin attendant said he had eight cabins where the people never came out of their cabins.🤢

• Like 19

1 hour ago, atexsix said:

Good Afternoon,

Nice to hear from you Bruno, and I'm glad you're on the mend.

1 hour ago, irishjim said:

Jim.

Good news that things are good and that you are healing well. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Great news Jim.

I'm really pleased for you.

Graham.

Thank you  so  much. I  hope your eye doing very  good.

Jim.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JAM37 said:

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I agree with those who have already posted that there are no stupid questions.

We are very blessed that the one family who shares our section of our street are wonderful neighbors. They think we are wonderful so it makes mountain living even more peaceful.

We should always appreciate our public lands.

Interested in the chili recipe. I make a lentil chili; the first time I made it, many years ago, my family ate it, loved it and we're shocked when I told them there was no meat in it.

Today DH will mix and pour the mortar base in our shower. Other than that we will be getting ready to leave tomorrow for a trip to Florida which will include some business but also visiting family at least. (We have been going back and forth about whether or not we need to take this trip right now and decided it is necessary due to a company not calling back so we will deal with them in person. 😔)

Have a terrific Tuesday!

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

Safe travels and I hope you get the issue with the company resolved!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1