Special Booking Situation - Would Insurance Cover?

Hi Steve @iamtrustworthy

Looking for your feedback or help please. I have a booking for an NCL cruise in late January. The booking was made with a Peace of Mind FCC credit denominated in euros (long story). It is not possible to change the credit currency so we had to make the entire booking in euros to apply the credit, even though we live in the US.

I just paid the deposit yesterday. Final payment is not until mid-December. I would like some sort of travel insurance to cover situations like death in the family, trip interruption or work conflict for the ~45 days between final payment and sail date. 

My understanding right now is that if we cancel during that time, we would completely lose the FCC credit. Normally I get the insurance through my Chase Sapphire card but that doesn't apply here because we aren't paying the cruise fare with it. 

Thank you! 

Here's another thought.. the original (cancelled) booking where the FCC originated was paid my Chase Sapphire Preferred. The payment was in euros but Chase converted the amount to dollars on the statement. Does this mean the new booking using the FCC could potentially be covered by the Chase policy?

23 hours ago, classy_cruiser said:

Hi Steve @iamtrustworthy

Looking for your feedback or help please. I have a booking for an NCL cruise in late January. The booking was made with a Peace of Mind FCC credit denominated in euros (long story). It is not possible to change the credit currency so we had to make the entire booking in euros to apply the credit, even though we live in the US.

I just paid the deposit yesterday. Final payment is not until mid-December. I would like some sort of travel insurance to cover situations like death in the family, trip interruption or work conflict for the ~45 days between final payment and sail date. 

My understanding right now is that if we cancel during that time, we would completely lose the FCC credit. Normally I get the insurance through my Chase Sapphire card but that doesn't apply here because we aren't paying the cruise fare with it. 

Thank you! 

Hi classy_cruiser,

Sorry about the delay answering you.

Did you pay any of your new deposit in cash? And, are there any bonus credits in the FCCs?

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1

17 hours ago, classy_cruiser said:

Here's another thought.. the original (cancelled) booking where the FCC originated was paid my Chase Sapphire Preferred. The payment was in euros but Chase converted the amount to dollars on the statement. Does this mean the new booking using the FCC could potentially be covered by the Chase policy?

I have no idea if Chase will cover the value of the FCCs. I have a Sapphire card and when I've called them, I can't get a definite answer if a FCC that was created from cash I originally paid with my Chase card is a covered trip cost.

2 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi classy_cruiser,

Sorry about the delay answering you.

Did you pay any of your new deposit in cash? And, are there any bonus credits in the FCCs?

Steve Dasseos

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply. No cash has been paid. The FCC is slightly more than the booking cost of the cruise, so we will need to add an excursion or something to use it up completely. There is no bonus money, the FCC is exactly the amount that was paid toward the cancelled booking. 

Edited by classy_cruiser
Typo