Question about Formal Nights on Dawn

Momof2kids

We're going on our first cruise with Norwegian in April -- 10 nights on the Dawn out of NYC.

I know that formal nights are optional. How is that handled? Is there one of the main dining rooms that is for formally dressed folks only and one that is for the passengers that are dressed in resort casual attire or is everyone all mixed in together?

Just curious -- I still haven't decided if we'll be dressing for formal nights. Especially with having to pack for our two young kids (lots of clothes, diapers, soy milk), it may be easier if DH and I don't have to pack the formal wear.

Thank you for all replies!

There are no special areas set aside for those who choose to wear formal attire - everyone "mingles" together: t-shirts, shorts, saris, jeans, to-and-from pool attire, tuxedos, gowns, pants suits.....the whole gamut. The best place to "savor" this sight is from the chairs overlooking the atrium in front of the Tapas bar.

On our 1/2/06 sailing on the Dawn, all restaurants were Freestyle on Formal nights. This means that you will see men in Tuxs sitting at tables next to men in ripped jeans (yes, jeans are permitted on the Dawn at dinner). On our April 2005 sailing on the Sun, one restaurant was set aside for Formal wear only on Formal night, while the others were Freestyle. I was surprised at how few people did get "dressed up" on our Dawn sailing. You certainly will not feel out of place if you do dress formally, but you do have the option of leaving the gowns and tuxs at home. If suitcase space is limited, I would opt for warm, layered, evening wear rather than slinky,skimpy, formals- most restaurants were very chilly in the evenings.

Thank you for the replies! Since everyone is all mixed in, I definitely won't pack our formal attire. There doesn't seem to be much reason to pack extra clothes that can't be worn at other times when we could just wear mix 'n match separates that could laundered and reworn later in the cruise.

I believe the only reason for formal nights are to sell more pictures

That may be a reason, but I also think that NCL keeps the optional formal nights to satisfy the traditional cruisers who still like to get dressed up. Fine with me. That is why I love Freestyle, those that want that experience can have that while those of us that don't want that experience can have what we want

Archived