Barcelona

shyla100

Hi we have booked a Seabourn cruise in July next year and I am in need of assistance with hotel accommodation for two nights pre cruise.

We would like somewhere not to far away from the port but close to walk around the sights .

Has anyone got any ideas please. I do like a 4 star boutique style .

Also has anyone been on a cruise around the Med. at that time is it really to hot to enjoy?

We come from Australia so we can handle fair amount of heat. Can it be overbearing?

Thank you for your ideas. 

You should get a few options on Barcelona hotels.  But our favorite is an older European style hotel called the Hotel Colon.  It is perfectly located in the Gothic District right across the street from the Cathedral (we suggest folks going there ask for a room with a Cathedral view).  Being an older property it does have rooms of all sizes so anyone booking should pay attention to the room description they book.

Hank

I love the Mercer hotel in the gothic district. Only 28 rooms, great location and nice rooftop pool. Also have stayed at Hotel 1898 in the rambla district. A little larger but still very nice also with a rooftop pool and great location. 

• Like 1

Barcelona is a great city for walking around.  We've mostly rented apartments when we've stayed there, so I don't have direct hotel recommendations.  My general advice would be to stay in the central city Eixample is the term.  Someplace within walking distance of Plaza Catalunya, which is kind of the center of the main areas of tourist interest, though not necessarily interesting of itself.  Taxis are easily available in the central area, and not too expensive.  Metro is fairly easy to use as well. 

If you want the beach, Barceloneta is a decent option, but otherwise it's a bit inconvenient.  The Rambla street is touristy, but fun; though the section closest to the harbor gets just a bit seedy at night.  The upper end of the Rambla and the adjacent Passeig de Gracia are full of higher end shopping.  

On 9/29/2021 at 2:53 PM, WNcruiser said:

I love the Mercer hotel in the gothic district. Only 28 rooms, great location and nice rooftop pool. Also have stayed at Hotel 1898 in the rambla district. A little larger but still very nice also with a rooftop pool and great location. 

I don't know how it is now for breakfast at the Hotel 1898, but pre Covid days it was great with so very many choices.  Nice, comfortable hotel in a good location.

On 9/30/2021 at 3:17 AM, shyla100 said:

I will check them out thank you and great tip about the clock,  as I suffer with jetlag when travelling.

Has any one done this trip in July?

I cruised Barcelona to Rome on August and it was very hot everywhere. I think temp July=August

41 minutes ago, shyla100 said:

Thank you to all, but if anyone can give me some idea about the heat. Did it stop you doing things going places due to the heat?

I was last in Barcelona in July, 2018 and it was hot like we get in mid-Summer in Perth. This is about the third time we have visited at this time of year. I explore during the morning places like Montjuic and Le Sagrada and after a late lunch have a rest  then go out late afternoon. In the afternoon/evening  we did things like food & wine walking tours, or a concert atop Casa Batlo or Le Pedrera which was quite magical listening to jazz and blues on the rooftop of Gaudi's creations.

https://www.casabatllo.es/en/online-tickets/visit-magic-nights/

https://www.lapedrera.com/en/agenda-activities-barcelona/cycle/la-pedrera-jazz

My husband and I are in our early 60s and have moderate fitness. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shyla100 said:

Thank you to all, but if anyone can give me some idea about the heat. Did it stop you doing things going places due to the heat?

I have been once in May and the rest in Sept/Oct. Both were beautiful weather and not crowded. Personally I would never visit in the Summer as not only is it much hotter but much more crowded. 

Barcelona is hot on July but not so crowded. Hot like you can't walk for more than an hour during midday and makes sense only to visit a beach or an air-conditioned space. On August temp is the same or couple degrees lower but it is very crowded (pre covid at least).