Bermuda

CruiseQueenOma

Only fairly small ships are able to get into Hamilton and St. Georges.  Occasionally a ship will have both on her itinerary.  However, due to tight access, a cancellation could happen if weather or other factor makes it inadvisable.

As far as seeing Bermuda from Kings Wharf, buses and taxis, and excursions, are available.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruiseQueenOma said:

Are there cruises that stop at more than one Port on the island or can we see everything from Kings Wharf?

Viking Ocean just completed a season of 7 day Bermuda cruises, stopping initially at 3 ports and then dropping to 2 ports.

3 hours ago, CruiseQueenOma said:

Are there cruises that stop at more than one Port on the island or can we see everything from Kings Wharf?

The whole island is only 34 km long.  It is easy to get from one place to another by bus, ferry or by taxi.  We often used the ferries.    Check out your options on Google.

DON

If you are taking a 7 day cruise to Bermuda from say, NY, NJ or MA and you're in Bermuda for 3 &1/2 or 4 days and you're docked the entire time at Kings Wharf, there should be no problem seeing quite a lot, between buses, ferries and taxis.  We've cruised to Bermuda over 20 times in the past 40 or so years and we've probably still not seen "everything". 

4 hours ago, CruiseQueenOma said:

If you are looking to have the experience of docking in downtown Hamilton as well as out at St Georges, one of the better values out there are the yearly Oceania sailings (usually aboard Insignia). While not as inexpensive as some of the larger ships can be, this is a good value for a small ship (vs the luxury lines that occasionally also call at Hamilton/St Georges that charge a ton more).  Holland America used to do it with Veendam (and it was even more affordable through them) but with Veendam sold who knows. 

We prefer these sailings-- I'm not a fan of the Dockyard. Its very touristy and is quite aways from the rest of things to do on the island. Being docked overnight at both St Georges and Hamilton lets the ship be your floating hotel and you are able to walk to things at night which is nice. 

33 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

If you are looking to have the experience of docking in downtown Hamilton as well as out at St Georges, one of the better values out there are the yearly Oceania sailings (usually aboard Insignia). While not as inexpensive as some of the larger ships can be, this is a good value for a small ship (vs the luxury lines that occasionally also call at Hamilton/St Georges that charge a ton more).  Holland America used to do it with Veendam (and it was even more affordable through them) but with Veendam sold who knows. 

We prefer these sailings-- I'm not a fan of the Dockyard. Its very touristy and is quite aways from the rest of things to do on the island. Being docked overnight at both St Georges and Hamilton lets the ship be your floating hotel and you are able to walk to things at night which is nice. 

To be completely accurate, the Holland America Veendam cruises didn't actually dock in St. George's. The original published itineraries said they would, but they soon discovered that a renovation to the ship changed her configuration enough to not allow her to safely navigate Town Cut. As a result they initially anchored at Murray's Anchorage and tendered passengers in to St. George's but eventually discontinued that and only docked in Hamilton for the entire Bermuda call.

I agree that if resumed in the future, the Oceania cruises docking in Hamilton and St. George's will give you the best bang for your buck on that itinerary.

Edited by njhorseman

7 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

To be completely accurate, the Holland America Veendam cruises didn't actually dock in St. George's.

You are right-- we mainly have done the Oceania and did Veendam once and a few memories blended into one. That being said, I still preferred being docked in downtown Hamilton the whole time vs being out at the Dockyard (much more central to everything), but the Oceania itineraries are our favorites with both towns. 

When we first started cruising, Norwegian docked in St George.  Probably the reason for my love of that little town.  I remember when there was nothing at Dockyard, we wouldn't even go there (or not for long)...I also remember when this cruise used to be 3 nights and 4 days in Bermuda!! Sadly, those days are no longer....

Dockyard has been turned into the typical tourist trap....touristy shopping, tours, etc....don't even get me started on that man-made beach (went there once, was enough), that beach does not hold a candle to a beautiful bermuda beach.

Maybe with the emergence of the new hotel at St Catherines', St George can make a comeback....

On 9/30/2021 at 7:13 AM, AnitaVacation said:

When we first started cruising, Norwegian docked in St George.  Probably the reason for my love of that little town.  I remember when there was nothing at Dockyard, we wouldn't even go there (or not for long)...I also remember when this cruise used to be 3 nights and 4 days in Bermuda!! Sadly, those days are no longer....

Dockyard has been turned into the typical tourist trap....touristy shopping, tours, etc....don't even get me started on that man-made beach (went there once, was enough), that beach does not hold a candle to a beautiful bermuda beach.

Maybe with the emergence of the new hotel at St Catherines', St George can make a comeback....

When we first went to Bermuda on a cruise ship Celebrity had two ships leaving NYC, one on Saturday and one Sunday.  Some of their entertainment would go to Bermuda on the Sunday ship and come back on the Saturday ship. Both ships were there for 3n ights and 4 days, moving over to St George through the cut.  It was interesting to see both Celebrity ships docked next to each other in Hamilton.

The dockyard does have some pluses, you can take the ferry to Hamilton or St George and most of the shops in Hamilton are duplicated at the dockyard.  I agree the beach is terrible.

Edited by dkjretired

22 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Horizon and Zenith were nice smaller ships at the time. Wish we had more of those types around these days. 

And even prior to that, Flagship cruises had the "Sea Venture" sailing to Bermuda on Saturdays and it docked in St Georges and Hamilton.  It's sister was the "Island Venture" and they became "Island Princess and "Pacific Princes" for Princess cruises.