Live Anthem UK Seacation 2nd 0ct 2021

kernow

12 hours ago, kernow said:

The Internet on this ship is horrible, despite the fact that the theme of yesterday's top tier party seemed to be how technologically advanced Anthem is! I've spent the last hour on ship wifi trying to log on to CC to no avail. We are now docked in Liverpool so I gave up and switched to my own data and guess what, everything is now running smoothly.

I had exactly the same issue all day on Saturday on Harmony. I actually wondered if there was some sort of blocking going on because I was able to get into other websites using the wifi; it was only cc that was not working yet it worked fine when I switched to mobile data on my phone.

I'm going to be following your thread with interest as I booked a future cruise on Anthem at Next Cruise. It will be our first time on Anthem and first time sailing out of Southampton. 

• Like 1

*tried posting this for the past 2 days but the Wi-fi is abysmal and there seems to be a glitch on iPhone whereby you can’t post as it requotes every other post ??

Superb performance of WWRY Sunday afternoon 

Superb dinner in Jamie’s  - possibly  one of the best meals I’ve had on RCI. 

Great show by Chris Watkins who was a very funky violinist.

Despite waiters wandering around 270 when the show was on: they would not serve drinks . I give up. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

Good morning from Greenock,  just been piped into our Dock by a man playing bagpipes, a nice welcome to Scotland.(sorry my picture is rubbish but LB will probably have a nice one😅).

Given up on ship internet and using my own again. Nothing planned for today, we were originally doing an excursion to a distillery but RCL cancelled it. Mark has just booked North Star for 1.15 so will probably just have a little walk around and get back on the ship.

We've not set foot in Windjammer yet this cruise so going to head there for breakfast.

Didn't see any sign of UDP on boarding day but wasn't really looking, I do remember it in our planner right to the end.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FionaMG said:

I had exactly the same issue all day on Saturday on Harmony. I actually wondered if there was some sort of blocking going on because I was able to get into other websites using the wifi; it was only cc that was not working yet it worked fine when I switched to mobile data on my phone.

I had the same thought but surely it can't be that, I always thought they encouraged people to post to promote RCL.

6 minutes ago, kernow said:

I had the same thought but surely it can't be that, I always thought they encouraged people to post to promote RCL.

You wouldhave thought so but I'm sure I read something fairly recently about this being a thing, either here on cc or over on Matt's blog.

Since you have nothing planned now for today,if your time in port allows why not get the train into Glasgow? They run very regularly and it takes about 40 minutes each way. It's a very underrated city that has loads of things to visit. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 3:25 PM, kernow said:

They announced that cabins were ready while we were eating lunch I think around 12.30, I know it was early. It's now around 3.30 and no sign of any luggage on our deck (deck 10) yet.

We're heading up to ifly shortly.

Following along Julie.

Our luggage is always late on RC but on our 2 P&O Staycation cruises on Britannia and Iona our cases were outside our cabin when we got to our cabin at 1.30pm.

We have 2 Anthem cruises booked from Southampton next year so very interested in your review.

I hope you and Mark have an amazing time.

Graham.

• Like 1

We were just debating that, some kind of red velvet coating, it's called a Red Velvet Berliner. I did cut it in half and share with Mark! It tasted really good so worth the calories.

• Thanks 1

Back onboard after a walk around the waterfront in Greenock. Now sitting on the balcony watching the crew come back loaded up from their 'excursion' to Tesco right beside us. Apparently they are allowed off in numbered organised groups to shop for an hour. Our cabin steward told us she is not getting off today but those that are take lists for the others.

20211005_125457.jpg

• Like 1

Just done North Star, I don't like heights and was terrified. We went up in the pod with a family and the mum was the same which helped. Mark didn't get many photos as I was hanging on to him for dear life and he couldn't move🤣

Now settled ourselves in the solarium for the afternoon with a much needed drink!

IMG_20211005_131237.jpg

IMG_20211005_131510.jpg

IMG_20211005_131535.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kernow said:

Good morning from Greenock,  just been piped into our Dock by a man playing bagpipes, a nice welcome to Scotland.(sorry my picture is rubbish but LB will probably have a nice one😅).

Given up on ship internet and using my own again. Nothing planned for today, we were originally doing an excursion to a distillery but RCL cancelled it. Mark has just booked North Star for 1.15 so will probably just have a little walk around and get back on the ship.

We've not set foot in Windjammer yet this cruise so going to head there for breakfast.

Didn't see any sign of UDP on boarding day but wasn't really looking, I do remember it in our planner right to the end.

I'm just across the Clyde from you 👋 - at least it's stayed dry today with a bit of sun for you 🌞 Thanks for posting your live review, really enjoying it 🙂

1 hour ago, TravelMadBrits said:

Thanks for all the updates, we are on Anthem on 25th October, hoping it’s not too busy! 
Is there anywhere you can dance? What’s Schooner bar like in an evening please? We have previously had some fab nights pre-Covid of course! 

You can dance keeping in your spotlight on the floor…..

the guy in the schooner bar this cruise is excellent but he gets off at the end of this week. 

Edited by little britain
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TravelMadBrits said:

Thanks for all the updates, we are on Anthem on 25th October, hoping it’s not too busy! 
Is there anywhere you can dance? What’s Schooner bar like in an evening please? We have previously had some fab nights pre-Covid of course! 

We've seen dancing in the Music Hall but its not like normal. You are supposed to dance within your own spotlight which they shine onto the dance floor, not sure if you are supposed to keep mask on or not, some do some don't. No theme parties and so far no silent disco which is my favourite.

Whenever we have walked past Schooner bar it has been busy but not been  in there for a drink. TBH I'm a bit disappointed by the bars on this ship, we've not found one we really like yet, they all seem a bit dark and dingy, Music Hall reminds me of a Wetherspoons pub (sorry!). We normally like the Champagne bar, Viking Crown, Schooner bar especially on Radiance class but have not found anything that feels classy on here. We are going to try Boleros later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a sunny Belfast. 

Once again ships wifi would not let me sign in to CC  but now that we are docked and using my data I can log in! Not really sure what is going on but went to ask the loyalty ambassador who seemed quite defensive, she sent us to the Zoom guy who said yes the ship wifi is poor especially on just surf. I said I've never had a problem on other ships but apparently they are using a different satellite now? I'm not technical so have no idea what he means, is that a valid reason?

Anyway back to the cruise. We are planning to get off shortly and find the Hop on/hop off bus tour to see the city. Weather looks nice so think we will walk to the nearest stop apparently about 45 mins away.

After dinner last night we couldn't get a seat in Boleros, all the bars in that area were busy so we ended up in Vintages. I do wonder how crowded the bars must be when the ship is full! We have the Graffiti Classics show booked for tonight.

Sorry, still haven't really found anyone to give definitive answers about passenger numbers on future cruises. Have heard lots of rumours that half term week will be busy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kernow said:

Once again ships wifi would not let me sign in to CC  but now that we are docked and using my data I can log in! Not really sure what is going on but went to ask the loyalty ambassador who seemed quite defensive, she sent us to the Zoom guy who said yes the ship wifi is poor especially on just surf. I said I've never had a problem on other ships but apparently they are using a different satellite now? I'm not technical so have no idea what he means, is that a valid reason?

Interesting. I was using just surf as well when I wasn't able to log in to cc. In the past, I've had surf and stream and never had a problem, but I had no difficulty logging into other sites with just surf (including Matt's blog). I'm not technical enough to know if it's a valid reason either but it would be interesting to know.

Enjoy your day in Belfast. :)

5 hours ago, kernow said:

Anyway back to the cruise. We are planning to get off shortly and find the Hop on/hop off bus tour to see the city. Weather looks nice so think we will walk to the nearest stop apparently about 45 mins away.

After dinner last night we couldn't get a seat in Boleros, all the bars in that area were busy so we ended up in Vintages. I do wonder how crowded the bars must be when the ship is full! We have the Graffiti Classics show booked for tonight.

Sorry, still haven't really found anyone to give definitive answers about passenger numbers on future cruises. Have heard lots of rumours that half term week will be busy.

Looking forward to your update on your day in Belfast. Enjoy the day.

Just got back onboard after a busy day. Weather was nice earlier so we walked to the Titanic Quarter, took about 45 minutes and not very interesting as it's through an industrial area but was good to get our steps up(we try to do ten thousand a day). From there we were able to catch the HoHo bus.It costs £15 pp and we found it interesting especially the part that goes through the Republican and Loyalist areas. My impression of Belfast was formed from watching the news when I was growing up in the 70s at the time of the troubles, sadly that part of the city still seemed divided although the guide assured us that things are much better now. We got off the bus at City Hall in the centre and looked around, lots of impressive old buildings and of course shops😀.

We eventually caught the number 94 bus back to the cruise terminal. RCL were charging $15pp for the shuttle but its easy and much cheaper to do it yourself. By the time we got back to the ship the weather had changed to rain.

While we were waiting for the bus I checked my emails and found out MSC have moved Magnifica to Southampton this winter and it went on sail today. I  rang the TA and booked a 7 night Northern Europe cruise for Feb so will have that to look forward to.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kernow said:

Just got back onboard after a busy day. Weather was nice earlier so we walked to the Titanic Quarter, took about 45 minutes and not very interesting as it's through an industrial area but was good to get our steps up(we try to do ten thousand a day). From there we were able to catch the HoHo bus.It costs £15 pp and we found it interesting especially the part that goes through the Republican and Loyalist areas. My impression of Belfast was formed from watching the news when I was growing up in the 70s at the time of the troubles, sadly that part of the city still seemed divided although the guide assured us that things are much better now. We got off the bus at City Hall in the centre and looked around, lots of impressive old buildings and of course shops😀.

We eventually caught the number 94 bus back to the cruise terminal. RCL were charging $15pp for the shuttle but its easy and much cheaper to do it yourself. By the time we got back to the ship the weather had changed to rain.

While we were waiting for the bus I checked my emails and found out MSC have moved Magnifica to Southampton this winter and it went on sail today. I  rang the TA and booked a 7 night Northern Europe cruise for Feb so will have that to look forward to.

Thanks for the live review! I have just read it all as we are onboard from 20th of this month. We were also on YC on Virtuosa just after you! We follow in your footsteps it seems 😀

How does Anthem compare to Virtuosa experience? 
Did you get an upgrade this time? 
Although we love  Magnifica, we are put off as no YC! Think we may travel to Barcelona & get on either the Grandiosa or Fantasia in January….so we’ll stop following you!! 😅😂