Colombo, Sri Lanka - Explorer 5-3-22

highplanesdrifters

We are booked on the Explorer 5-3-22 starting in Colombo, Sri Lanka. First time there.  Assuming all systems go, any tips hotel or otherwise from the well traveled CC crowd would be greatly appreciated. We haven't ruled out some of the higher end resorts on the southern coast, but are leaning toward something closer to Colombo. Thanks!

16 hours ago, Unibok said:

Would you prefer to be right downtown, or a bit out of the way? What are your priorities: luxury? coastal? atmosphere? proximity to walkable destinations?

Luxury yes. There seems to be a number of 4/5* options. Still weighing the costal vs. Walkable/downtown. Atmosphere always a plus. In research mode. Thanks.

If you have the time, Ceylon Tea Trails is an unmissable hotel experience - five converted tea planters' bungalows, each with four or five luxury suites, set in the glorious tea plantation scenery. The company which owns it, Resplendent Ceylon, also have two coastal properties in the south, one of them a sort of safari lodge, the other on a clifftop. You can get a seaplane taxi between them all.

As far as beach resorts go, we loved Saman Villas, a relatively easy drive south from Colombo.  Sea swimming can be treacherous at any time of year - there is no reef - so a great pool is essential. Beach walks are spectacular, especially if there is a fishing village nearby as there was when we also stayed at Calamansi Cove.

I might add - along with many other Asian and SE Asian nations, I think Sri Lanka is best done as a land-based trip.

The pool at Saman Villas -

IMG_6731.jpg

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Fletcher said:

If you have the time, Ceylon Tea Trails is an unmissable hotel experience - five converted tea planters' bungalows, each with four or five luxury suites, set in the glorious tea plantation scenery. The company which owns it, Resplendent Ceylon, also have two coastal properties in the south, one of them a sort of safari lodge, the other on a clifftop. You can get a seaplane taxi between them all.

As far as beach resorts go, we loved Saman Villas, a relatively easy drive south from Colombo.  Sea swimming can be treacherous at any time of year - there is no reef - so a great pool is essential. Beach walks are spectacular, especially if there is a fishing village nearby as there was when we also stayed at Calamansi Cove.

I might add - along with many other Asian and SE Asian nations, I think Sri Lanka is best done as a land-based trip.

The pool at Saman Villas -

IMG_6731.jpg

Fletcher - Thank you for all the suggestions.  They are wonderful options and have given me much to ponder. We are squeezing this trip in and may not have much time for a pre cruise, but perhaps should make time. Those resorts look enticing. I picked this trip because I want to hit the Andaman Islands and Mergui archipelago before the Explorer disappears. Sri Lanka was just a bonus.

Is there any reason to spend time in Colombo other than transit recovery?

13 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Fletcher - Thank you for all the suggestions.  They are wonderful options and have given me much to ponder. We are squeezing this trip in and may not have much time for a pre cruise, but perhaps should make time. Those resorts look enticing. I picked this trip because I want to hit the Andaman Islands and Mergui archipelago before the Explorer disappears. Sri Lanka was just a bonus.

Is there any reason to spend time in Colombo other than transit recovery?

All part of the service . . . Colombo has a few architectural survivals but nothing worth the hassle of checking in and out of a hotel.  A drive through will give you the flavour.  The beach area near the newishly renovated Galle Face Hotel is very buzzy, a bit like a mini-Mumbai.  Otherwise there is a nice boutique hotel near the airport called Wallawwa. 

I like the look of this trip, especially the Andamans.  The Burmese islands are a bit off the map, like those Bangladeshi islands the Explorer visited a few years ago. 

Edited by Fletcher

10 hours ago, Fletcher said:

All part of the service . . . Colombo has a few architectural survivals but nothing worth the hassle of checking in and out of a hotel.  A drive through will give you the flavour.  The beach area near the newishly renovated Galle Face Hotel is very buzzy, a bit like a mini-Mumbai.  Otherwise there is a nice boutique hotel near the airport called Wallawwa. 

I like the look of this trip, especially the Andamans.  The Burmese islands are a bit off the map, like those Bangladeshi islands the Explorer visited a few years ago. 

All part of the service? A service I would gladly pay for. I tip my hat to you sir, and wish I could reciprocate in some way. Thank you. 

Hi highplanesdrifter,

I have to agree with Fletcher's assessment of Colombo. I adore Sri Lanka, but spend very little of my time there in the city -- it's the rest of the country that captures my heart and imagination.

If you do stay for an overnight in Colombo proper, I recommend a visit to the old Dutch Hospital area, now turned into shops and restaurants. It is very walkable, and is near other walkable points of interest. You'd get a nice flavor of downtown, without feeling stuck.

Fletcher has covered the beach areas, so I'll say a bit about going inland. If you have days to spend, and a desire for history, I find the "cultural triangle" area rich with history, flora/fauna, spirituality, and a sense of adventure. Sigiriya is a fabulous climb (stairs) if you have bodies that enjoy the exertion of summiting and views from the top, with the Dambulla cave temple nearby. The two other points of the triangle are ancient temple communities Anuradhapura and Pollonaruwa -- both beautiful and different and significant in their own ways. Mihintale is another local temple, and it is a stunning experience at sunset.

An unofficial 4th point on the triangle is Kandy, the mountain city. The population of cars has vastly exceeded the capacity of their roads, so if you go to Kandy, DO NOT DRIVE, but instead fly or take 1st class train to get there in a fraction of the time.

A very different ecosystem is in the hill country of Nuwera Eliya, tea country. And then there's the elephant safaris down closer to the southern coast.

Finally, if you wish for an immersive Ayurvedic health experience on the beach, I highly recommend two weeks at Barberyn Beach in their attentive care. 

Hoping this helps,

• Like 1

Mrs Machotspur and I are (hopefully !) travelling around Sri Lanka in Jan/Feb 2022.

We've booked into an upscale boutique hotel in Colombo named Escapes by Uga. Well situated for downtown in a nice quiet area - the embassy area methinks.

We are also staying at Tea Trails for 4 nights- as recommended by Mr. Fletcher. Looks idyllic but is also on a 'real life' tea estate. The Resplendent Ceylon group is owned by the Dilmah tea family.

However we were less than convinced with their cliff top property - Cape Weligama - 'Honeymoon Central' we think !

We are flying on a seaplane from Tea Trails down to (near) Galle. There are a number of good hotels within the old walled city. We are staying in a nice boutique hotel called Taru Villas in Rampart Street - very highly recommended by our agent. It's worth noting that Galle is only a couple of hours drive from Colombo.

Also staying at Sigiriya and Kandy but these are probably beyond scope for you.       

@Unibok & @machotspur

Thank you both so much for your detailed responses. One can read about all the places you have mentioned but it does not give you the feel for a place. The cultural triangle, Uga, Tea Trails, Galle, Dutch hospital area where on my radar. With your detailed responses I now have a feel for them and can begin to plan. Honeymoon central is not the type of description found on Trip Advisor. Machotspur - I hope your trip goes and please post a report. It looks fantastic.

@Fletcher

A belated thank you for a post from May. You mentioned Le Tikehau in French Polynesia which sparked an idea and off we went at the last minute.  We added it to our 3 week trip in June. Unfortunately the wind howled in Tikehau at 30 mph with no let up for 5 days. We finally snuck in one very bumpy excursion to Bird Island.  We finished with Le Taha'a, Vahine Island and no wind. Le Taha'a won and if the anti Covid Gods smile upon us we're headed back after Christmas

• Like 1