Jim_Iain (with and Eye) - B2B Millennium 10/11 and 10/19 Pacific Coastal

Jim_Iain

15 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Yayyyyy!!! Another fantastic Jim and Ian (with an i 😉) review!!!!! Looking forward to reading!

Thank you!

Hope you jump in and help out.    I really enjoy it when others feel comfortable and open to discuss cruising regardless of ship.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Glad to hear.     I hate to say it but I'm doing more planning on what I'm going to do in Sf.   LOL --

Was really disappointed in many of the tours that restrict ancient people like me over 70 from participation.   Seriously would a 70 old be any more of a risk on a off road vehicle than an unfit younger person.

Definitely unfair..no causal connection.  I can see  weight  limit for  paragliding or some activities but off roading..????

.Also hate when people talk down to Srs..like  they are all senile. Dh turns 70  soon... Hope he is not discriminated against  due to  age.

We were definitely tourists on our P Coastal  cruise..had overnights in a few ports....giving more options. We enjoyed this itin so much that we booked the Summit Eastern Coastal..  with Charleston Newport and Bermuda, but that one was  the first of many that did not  work out..Covid cancellation cruises. Hope we are all over that hump

Edited by hcat

Gerry and Charles -

Thanks for the inputs.    I really look forward to the cruise.   I may just have to check out the entertainment.   We rarely go to the shows as they have been rather lackluster in the past.   Your opinion gives me confidence in them being improved.

We didn’t attend any of the evening shows in the theater.  On our B2B they were doing just a 9 PM show, so it will be interesting if the capacity on your cruises will be high enough to support a 7 PM show in the theater too.  

But we found that when we left Luminae in the evening, as we headed upstairs to Cellar Masters to listen to live music, we could hear live music in the RendezVous too.  Sometimes we have found that we had to search for live music, but not on those two sailings.  Other evenings there would be a dance band in the RendezVous while Magnifica was playing out side the Martini Bar.  Also it seemed to us that there was more live music in the Cafe al Bacio.

Gerry

Edited by Northern Aurora
Typo

I was also onboard about a week ago.    Try choosing a different cruise and then come back an open your again.    I also had a similar problem on Equinox and had to do a force close of  the App and reopen to fix.

i should have been clearer, that was to you.  I thought your very recent trip might be giving more because you were more recent.  I’ve had several apps that only work onboard.  I wasn’t sure they always disconnected afterwards.  

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Glad to hear.     I hate to say it but I'm doing more planning on what I'm going to do in Sf.   LOL --

Was really disappointed in many of the tours that restrict ancient people like me over 70 from participation.   Seriously would a 70 old be any more of a risk on a off road vehicle than an unfit younger person.

I remember questioning the ancient age, before I was one!  I was told that for the bicycling it was an insurance problem!   However on Machu Picchu the most fit were mostly ancients!   Similarly Australia thought ancients should not snorkel from a boat.  It wasn’t listed on the tour description.  There were waivers that could be signed though!  

I’d be interested in what besides off road now restricts us ancients!   Right now I’m more dangerous if I fall walking as I can’t, or couldn’t, always get up without help.  At least on an off road there would be something to pull up on.  

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak

46 minutes ago, hcat said:

Definitely unfair..no causal connection.  I can see  weight  limit for  paragliding or some activities but off roading..????

.Also hate when people talk down to Srs..like  they are all senile. Dh turns 70  soon... Hope he is not discriminated against  due to  age.

We were definitely tourists on our P Coastal  cruise..had overnights in a few ports....giving more options. We enjoyed this itin so much that we booked the Summit Eastern Coastal..  with Charleston Newport and Bermuda, but that one was  the first of many that did not  work out..Covid cancellation cruises. Hope we are all over that hump

I also wanted to do that one.    Charleston would be a fun port.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was referring to the Sea Terminal  specifically.    I haven't sailed out of SD for many years and last time was a REALLY BAD EXPERIENCE.    The terminal was an old open warehouse.

I'm in no way disparaging San Diego and their beautiful sea front. I love it and have vacationed there numerous times.   I'm specifically remembering the terminal which may have been tainted by my experience.  

Beautiful sea front as you said, but agree 100% that the terminal is just an unfinished warehouse!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

Beautiful sea front as you said, but agree 100% that the terminal is just an unfinished warehouse!

🙂  Hopefully we won't be spending much time in the terminal and will be enjoying ourselves aboard with a nice glass of bubbly.  

• Like 2

Jim so excited you started a week early. Love that 175 plane, I especially like the single first class seats, you and Liam probably want to sit together, but I had many business trips alone and loved that single seat. 
Are you flying in the same day the cruise departs? I looked at the move up, last time I used I thought you could apply 30 days prior, now for my cruise says 21 days prior. I did the TP and then stayed on to do a 7 night Alaska cruise. Well I guess you have to subject yourselves to more COVID testing.

Ha Ha Ha.

Norma

On 10/2/2021 at 8:04 PM, GMoney said:

Thanks so much for this thread. I booked the 10/19 cruise today (while on RC Ovation for 3 weeks). I already had the 10:27 canal sailing booked, so now I’m on for 23 nights. 

Millennium and Summit are my favorite ships. 

anyone know if the buffet is open for dinner? I’m guessing it’s not. 

We just got off a 5 night Summit sailing & yes , the Oceanview was open for dinner. However the dining room was fabulous!

• Like 1

Jim and Iain, we will just miss you.  We board the Millie for the canal transit on 10/27.  Wish you guys could just stay on!  Good luck with your Guarantee.  Hope you get a very nice suite. We sailed with singer/guitarist Kyle Tacy on the Edge in July and enjoyed his music also talking with him.  We are looking forward to sailing with him again.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, h20cruzer said:

Jim so excited you started a week early. Love that 175 plane, I especially like the single first class seats, you and Liam probably want to sit together, but I had many business trips alone and loved that single seat. 
Are you flying in the same day the cruise departs? I looked at the move up, last time I used I thought you could apply 30 days prior, now for my cruise says 21 days prior. I did the TP and then stayed on to do a 7 night Alaska cruise. Well I guess you have to subject yourselves to more COVID testing.

Ha Ha Ha.

Norma

Hi Norma....

Yea we are flying in the day of the cruise.   I think it's a 9:30 flight that  gets in about 11:00.   I've already checked and there's a flight  an hour or so later just in case

2 minutes ago, gbphipps said:

Jim and Iain, we will just miss you.  We board the Millie for the canal transit on 10/27.  Wish you guys could just stay on!  Good luck with your Guarantee.  Hope you get a very nice suite. We sailed with singer/guitarist Kyle Tacy on the Edge in July and enjoyed his music also talking with him.  We are looking forward to sailing with him again.

I would love to stay on but we have some commitment the week after the B2B.   I'm  sure you will love it.   It is so interesting and they usually have a docent aboard that is so knowledgeable 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bandp407 said:

We just got off a 5 night Summit sailing & yes , the Oceanview was open for dinner. However the dining room was fabulous!

I read somewhere else that the passenger load on Summit was in the 300 range.   Must have felt like a yacht. 

Just got off Millenium Alaska cruise and the crew, food, ship shape, entertainment and service was fantastic.  The cruise exceeded expectations, despite a few port glitches (Icy Straight shut down for covid and storm brewing, but did get to though Canada inside passage as result.  Perhaps under 50% occupancy helped.  So tempted to join you, but we have a Trip to Spain and Regent trans atlantic in Nov, so need time to work off the extra 6 lbs.

We had Kyle for our trip, as well as the duo Tara and Drake, who were fabulous.  They even recommended a hike in Juno we loved, between sets instead of taking their full break.  Entertainers were all very good relatively speaking.

Loved the FV corner room.  Every bit as fun as a suite, with the giant veranda. Steward made up sofa bed in front room, so we could watch glaciers in bed.  Service!

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pizzasteve said:

Just got off Millenium Alaska cruise and the crew, food, ship shape, entertainment and service was fantastic.  The cruise exceeded expectations, despite a few port glitches (Icy Straight shut down for covid and storm brewing, but did get to though Canada inside passage as result.  Perhaps under 50% occupancy helped.  So tempted to join you, but we have a Trip to Spain and Regent trans atlantic in Nov, so need time to work off the extra 6 lbs.

We had Kyle for our trip, as well as the duo Tara and Drake, who were fabulous.  They even recommended a hike in Juno we loved, between sets instead of taking their full break.  Entertainers were all very good relatively speaking.

Loved the FV corner room.  Every bit as fun as a suite, with the giant veranda. Steward made up sofa bed in front room, so we could watch glaciers in bed.  Service!

Know the feeling.    I put on a couple pounds on the last cruises and have taken them off pretty quickly.  I'm trying to loose an additional 2-3 prior to this cruise. 

Do you happen to know if they have updated their apple products on Millennium.    On Equinox everything was left over from pre-covid and they said they don't have a trade in program so have to burn it off....  Good Luck...Also no Apple  ear buds or watches. 

3 hours ago, hcat said:

Ous Summit cruise to Charleston,Newport and Bermuda in 2020 and 2021 got cancelled. Hoping for better luck May 2022

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

As another ancient over 70 person, that didn't seem to have stopped you from renting a golf cart from Bonaire Cruisers.  I've got an ABC coming up, so am interested in that.  We did those Twizzies there one year--those are fine if you're the driver.  If you're in the back seat, you'd better be a good contortionist!  They were fun to drive, though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was referring to the Sea Terminal  specifically.    I haven't sailed out of SD for many years and last time was a REALLY BAD EXPERIENCE.    The terminal was an old open warehouse. 

Because of the restrictions on foreign ports, our ship docked let off passengers and then sailed to Ensenada.      They corralled  all of us in the terminal with excursion type numbers loaded us on buses to Ensanada.     We had to wait 3 hours with limited seating and no food or drink to get  our bus.    We got held at the boarder by Mexican Authorities as we were officially an "IN-TRANSIT" BUS and took us until 10:00 PM to get to the ship. 

I'm in no way disparaging San Diego and their beautiful sea front. I love it and have vacationed there numerous times.   I'm specifically remembering the terminal which may have been tainted by my experience.  

Wow that sounds like an awful experience! The whole port area in SD has improved. I love, love, love San Diego and feel very fortunate to live here! My daughter graduated from SFSU so spent a lot of time in the Bay Area, which I also love! Many fond childhood memories of visiting San Francisco also!