Best way to enjoy Cabo in a day?

jwlnroe

So coming in on the carnival miracle - don’t really want to do a paid excursion for this stop.  I want to see the arch(from a distance is fine) .. do some swimming and shopping.. yummy food for lunch.  I can’t do the cruises out to the arch I get sea sick on smaller boats easier.  Family of 4… adult kids.  What’s the best way for us to enjoy the day?  Thank you!! 

Cabo is a tender port, so you will need to use smaller boats to get ashore. Usually the ships excursions will use larger vessels to get closer to the arch. Depending on the location the ship sets up, you might be able to see the arch without even leaving the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And there are beaches walking distance from where the tender docks (I don't have more info, though, we did a pirate ship whale watching excursion).  And you can see the arch from anywhere in the harbor.  There is a decent market to shop right where the tender docks, and there are loads of places to eat.  

2 hours ago, jas283a said:

And there are beaches walking distance from where the tender docks (I don't have more info, though, we did a pirate ship whale watching excursion).  And you can see the arch from anywhere in the harbor.  There is a decent market to shop right where the tender docks, and there are loads of places to eat.  

Ok thank you for all of the info - I did see it was a tender port so we might just walk to the beach and then check out close shopping and food like you said.  Appreciate it! Want to save our excursion  for Ensenada.  

If you are able to take a tender to shore, the best known beach, Medano Beach, is in walking distance.  You can take a pedicab instead of walking.  From the beach you can easily rent a jet ski. This is a noisy, active beach, not quiet at all!  Lots of vendors, lots of parasail boat operators, banana boats, etc.   Restaurants and drinks.  Everything you need!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

the best known beach, Medano Beach, is in walking distance

I would vote for Medano Beach as well.  Instead of walking, I might consider talking a water taxi to the beach with a first stop at the Arch to take some pictures.  One can walk back to the tender port or take a taxi.

My alternative for non-beach goers would be to simply wander through the tourist part of town and get a drink at a place like Cabo Wabo.  Walking along the marina could fit into this as well.

15 hours ago, SelectSys said:

I would vote for Medano Beach as well.  Instead of walking, I might consider talking a water taxi to the beach with a first stop at the Arch to take some pictures. 

The OP had said in the original post "I can’t do the cruises out to the arch I get sea sick on smaller boats easier."   So the water taxi is out.  Although for me, I agree with you, the water taxi to the Arch and then to the beach would be the best option.

37 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

The OP had said in the original post "I can’t do the cruises out to the arch I get sea sick on smaller boats easier."   So the water taxi is out.  Although for me, I agree with you, the water taxi to the Arch and then to the beach would be the best option.

That is why I mentioned that Cabo is a tender port...I was wondering if the OP is going to be able to tender ashore.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

That is why I mentioned that Cabo is a tender port...I was wondering if the OP is going to be able to tender ashore.

That is a good point.  In most of my calls at Cabo, the ship used both its own life boats and shore-based tender boats that the cruise line contracted with.  The shore based tender boats are much larger than the ship's life boats.  I always took whichever boat was available, but I am guessing that the OP could ask to wait for the next shore-based boat if she is offered a ship's life boat.  

I certainly hope that the OP can make it ashore!

On 10/6/2021 at 10:43 PM, SelectSys said:

I would vote for Medano Beach as well.  Instead of walking, I might consider talking a water taxi to the beach with a first stop at the Arch to take some pictures.  One can walk back to the tender port or take a taxi.

My alternative for non-beach goers would be to simply wander through the tourist part of town and get a drink at a place like Cabo Wabo.  Walking along the marina could fit into this as well.

Ok thanks we will try and take the water taxi - does it make a stop at the arch on the way? Thanks!  Also how do we find out how much jet skis cost? I’ll check google but anyone rented them from that beach before? 

Edited by jwlnroe

On 10/9/2021 at 3:56 PM, jwlnroe said:

Ok thanks we will try and take the water taxi - does it make a stop at the arch on the way? Thanks!  Also how do we find out how much jet skis cost? I’ll check google but anyone rented them from that beach before? 

You have to negotiate everything in advance before with the boat operator.  I really don't know what the going rate is these days to the beach as it has been a long time since I have taken a water taxi and never as part of a cruise.  I wouldn't haggle too much as your time is valuable.

I have seen jet skis around Mango Deck, but have no idea what they cost.  Have fun!

Get off the tender, look for a water taxi to take you to a nice beach. Less than 10 bucks per person. If they try to charge you more, walk away. Or, walk the 'pier', shop, drink. Go to Gordo Taco Leles. Baja Brewery is a good stop too. Or, have a guy pull you around town (he's on bike, you're in the back cart), he can take you to all those spots! We just did that in July, and we'll be back in 2 weeks!

• Like 1

Thanks to the panic over Covid, it has been almost two years since I was there last, but as soon as you get off the tender, the salesmen will crowd around selling "glass bottom boat tours" to Los Arcos. 

The "glass bottom boat" is a water taxi with a small window in the bottom of the boat.  The standard route is a quick stop at Lover's Beach/Divorce Beach if anyone wants to get dropped off (don't go there -- better to go to Medano Beach).  Then, look at the fish under the boat.  Then, hold your breath as the boat approaches the sea lions -- they stink.  Then, the boat will maneuver for a good view of the Arches.  If you have asked to be dropped off at Medano, the driver will drop you off.  Tell the driver you want to see the Arches first, otherwise he might drop you off before going to the Arch.  

With the drop off at the beach, I'd offer $10 per person.  They might start the negotiations at $12 per person, but if you are stubborn, you might get it for $8.  I usually get dropped off at the Paridiosa (??) Mall's dock, so I volunteer $10 pp.  (Plus a $5 tip.)  

I do not know the current price for jet skis.  SelectSys is right, negotiate beforehand.  

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 7:49 PM, Mike45LC said:

Thanks to the panic over Covid, it has been almost two years since I was there last, but as soon as you get off the tender, the salesmen will crowd around selling "glass bottom boat tours" to Los Arcos. 

The "glass bottom boat" is a water taxi with a small window in the bottom of the boat.  The standard route is a quick stop at Lover's Beach/Divorce Beach if anyone wants to get dropped off (don't go there -- better to go to Medano Beach).  Then, look at the fish under the boat.  Then, hold your breath as the boat approaches the sea lions -- they stink.  Then, the boat will maneuver for a good view of the Arches.  If you have asked to be dropped off at Medano, the driver will drop you off.  Tell the driver you want to see the Arches first, otherwise he might drop you off before going to the Arch.  

With the drop off at the beach, I'd offer $10 per person.  They might start the negotiations at $12 per person, but if you are stubborn, you might get it for $8.  I usually get dropped off at the Paridiosa (??) Mall's dock, so I volunteer $10 pp.  (Plus a $5 tip.)  

I do not know the current price for jet skis.  SelectSys is right, negotiate beforehand.  

This is helpful info, thank you! What is Los Arcos? Do the taxi's come back periodically to take you back to where you get the tender? 

Los Arcos is the Arch, a prominent "landmark" in Cabo.  

You can arrange for the water taxi to come back for you at a specific time, but I don't do this.  First, I will never recognize which boat/driver is mine -- they all look the same to me!  Second, I would spend too much energy worrying about having to be at the same spot at a specific time to be picked up.  Instead, I simply walk away from the beach when I am done, hailing a cab or a water taxi or walking -- there are plenty of cabs and water taxis, or you might even catch a pedicab.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 10:50 AM, jwlnroe said:

Ok thank you for all of the info - I did see it was a tender port so we might just walk to the beach and then check out close shopping and food like you said.  Appreciate it! Want to save our excursion  for Ensenada.  

If you are a foodie and porting into Ensenada; I HIGHLY recommend La Guererense. Anthony Bourdain called it the best street food in the whole world. amazing fresh seafood. I have been going there for years. They have their own fishermen catching everything for them so they dont have to use the market. a horse drawn carriage will take you there for about $10, but its not a long walk from the cruise terminal either.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/la-guerrerense-ensenada

Love-love-love Mexico!  Good view of the Arch from ship deck.  Have been there a lot (see first sentence!).  Area right at tender dock was always inviting for food/drink/shopping/pick-up tours/cabs handy.  If you have time and have been there/done that - check out ship tour or local tour to Todos Santos - cute and artsy town about one hour's drive north.  Small and interesting museum, shops and lunch at Hotel California, was very walkable for most.  We were NOT on a cruise that time (fishing trip), rented a 15 passenger van and 10 of us took off for the day.  Great memory and a definite highlight of the trip.  Did I say that I love Mexico?  

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2021 at 9:16 AM, klfhngr said:

Get off the tender, look for a water taxi to take you to a nice beach. Less than 10 bucks per person. If they try to charge you more, walk away. Or, walk the 'pier', shop, drink. Go to Gordo Taco Leles. Baja Brewery is a good stop too. Or, have a guy pull you around town (he's on bike, you're in the back cart), he can take you to all those spots! We just did that in July, and we'll be back in 2 weeks!

The bike guy sounds like fun, can you give me a ball park cost? Does he wait for you or do you just find another one after you shop/eat?

15 hours ago, Hyattlodge said:

The bike guy sounds like fun, can you give me a ball park cost? Does he wait for you or do you just find another one after you shop/eat?

We paid 30 bucks for a couple of hours. He waits. We shopped, went to brewery, went to taco place. IT was fun and worth it! They even have music!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2021 at 9:58 PM, greatestvalue said:

What is a fair price for the pedicab?  It has to be a win-win for all!!

It all depends on how long you use/abuse him 😉 We paid $30, plus tip. But he took us shopping, to a brewery, drove us for some sights, then lunch, then back! I totally think it was worth it! You might be able to do it for cheaper, depending on what you do and how long.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For water taxis and pedicabs, should I bring pesos or is US cash ok?

Also, if I pay in advance for the water taxi to drop me at Los Arcos area beach and then come back for me in an hour to take me to Medano Beach, will they come back for me?  Is $10 pp round trip reasonable or each way?

TIA!