Electrical Power in your cabin

wgeddings

We noticed a lot of people standing in line at guest services because "the electrical power in the cabin was not working".  I could not properly put the post with the pictures so I have linked a document to help you.  The power in your cabin IS probably working but you have to insert a card into a slot on the wall.  Also, I have a picture of what the power outlet in your cabin looks like and voltage information.  Note that if  you use a CPAP machine or other device that is on your bedside, the power outlet is normally across the cabin from your bedside table so you will need an extension cord. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GX0cj8QfdH6ScRgPgH5QlYYmLG3vPbUW/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=108970385543689336339&rtpof=true&sd=true

• Thanks 1

Tommy, I expect you are 100% correct! Most ships have gone to the power that requires a card in the slot by the door. I would add that it does not matter what kind of card is used. Even an expired card works.

• Like 1

Some of our group were among the many waiting in line at guest services and I wished they had just mentioned it to me.  I decided then and there that maybe a post with info would help spare others the line.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sixtytwo said:

Tommy, I expect you are 100% correct! Most ships have gone to the power that requires a card in the slot by the door. I would add that it does not matter what kind of card is used. Even an expired card works.

This is not always true.  I sailed on MSC Seaside, and tried the odd card for the slot, didn’t work.  So, I had brought my previous MSC cards…didn’t work.  It either had to be a card for that ship, or that sailing.  But another interesting discovery…I was dashing along my corridor and taking cabin pics, but the insides were pretty dark with no way to turn on the lights.  But then I tried MY card, and it turned on the lights in every cabin.  EM

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, wgeddings said:

The power in your cabin IS probably working but you have to insert a card into a slot on the wall.  

I remember when I first discovered that.  Don't recall on what ship or how I learned what to do.  Maybe my Cabin Steward when I  met him soon after arriving in my stateroom told me?  It was a surprise to be sure.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I sailed on MSC Seaside, and tried the odd card for the slot, didn’t work.  So, I had brought my previous MSC cards…didn’t work.  It either had to be a card for that ship, or that sailing.  But another interesting discovery…I was dashing along my corridor and taking cabin pics, but the insides were pretty dark with no way to turn on the lights. 

Arrrggghhh.... requiring a card for that particular sailing for the electrics to work would be a severe annoyance and enough to generate a severe complaint. I may have a laptop, camera, ebook reader, tablet, or mobile device charging up while I'm at dinner or lounging at the pool. 

6 minutes ago, Z'Loth said:

Arrrggghhh.... requiring a card for that particular sailing for the electrics to work would be a severe annoyance and enough to generate a severe complaint. I may have a laptop, camera, ebook reader, tablet, or mobile device charging up while I'm at dinner or lounging at the pool. 

It was also an inconvenience because I am usually the one that opens the cabin door when we return in the evening, and my card goes right into the slot.  But I am also the first one up and out in the morning, as my sister would sleep past noon if she could.  To leave her with lights, I would have to seek out her card.  But MSC offered a bracelet on Seaside and newer ships, and the bracelet does everything the card does except ding you off and back onto the ship.  Best $5 I spent that cruise.  EM

23 minutes ago, Z'Loth said:

Don't assume it has to be your keycard.  Try other cards (a business card, a credit card, the do not disturb card, etc.).  We have never had a problem where it HAD to be your keycard. My desire is for people who have not cruised before and who would panic if their electricity was not working.  I wanted to be sure they knew what, why and could avoid having to wait in a guest services line. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

This is not always true.  I sailed on MSC Seaside, and tried the odd card for the slot, didn’t work.  So, I had brought my previous MSC cards…didn’t work.  It either had to be a card for that ship, or that sailing.  But another interesting discovery…I was dashing along my corridor and taking cabin pics, but the insides were pretty dark with no way to turn on the lights.  But then I tried MY card, and it turned on the lights in every cabin.  EM

Interesting...

The one time that I recall having this situation, it was explained to me that it was for the lights.  Since we usually put our keycards in the holder near the door anyway, it was quite convenient for us.  Since we don't have anything needing charging, we wouldn't notice if it affects all power, or just lights.  Does anyone know this?

Does the slot hold two keycards?  If so, that would work perfectly for us, even if we leave the cabin at different times.  No searching for our cards before First Coffee.

23 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Since we don't have anything needing charging, we wouldn't notice if it affects all power, or just lights.  Does anyone know this?

Does the slot hold two keycards?  

My experience, the slot does not hold two keycards.  And, I recall that it did affect all power in the cabin and not just the lights.  

On 10/4/2021 at 10:32 PM, Z'Loth said:

A number of cruise lines have a ban on unattended charging due to the possibility of fire. In fact I was unaware of the is at one time and returned to the cabin where steward had unplugged my phone and placed an official cruise line printed card explaining the rule.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 7:13 PM, cb at sea said:

ANY thing that will "fit" into the slot will work...don't have to be a "card" per se.....anything that will cut the "electric eye" in the slot will do the trick.  A folded piece of paper or whatever.

Maybe - Maybe Not. I was just on a HAL Alaskan cruise. I tried a Business Card (From the Cabin Steward)- No Go, tried a Credit Card - No Go. Essiesmon (from above) also tried something interesting 

On 10/4/2021 at 12:16 PM, Essiesmom said:

I sailed on MSC Seaside, and tried the odd card for the slot, didn’t work.  So, I had brought my previous MSC cards…didn’t work.

Soooo - I suspect each line/ship/configuration has different systems. Maybe talk to the Cabin Steward about the best way. I am going to try to remember to bring our past working HAL Key Card - just to try them out on our next HAL cruise in December....

• Like 1

So here is a tip for first time cruises.  If you have a problem with your cabin just go out in the corridor and look for your cabin steward (or any steward) in the area.  They will usually have the answers or they can make a call if necessary.  You do not want to waste the first few hours on a cruise waiting in a queue at Guest Services.  You should be out and about and having fun.

Hank

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just off a cruise where I used a local restaurant rewards card.  I just left it in the slot all week.  No problems.

That said, I did have to call maintenance once because a fuse blew when my wife tried to use her hair dryer at the same time I was using the espresso maker.   😁

Edited by Aquahound
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 9:28 PM, rkacruiser said:

I remember when I first discovered that.  Don't recall on what ship or how I learned what to do.  Maybe my Cabin Steward when I  met him soon after arriving in my stateroom told me?  It was a surprise to be sure.  

This is identical to almost every hotel in the world no? I dont think i've ever stayed in a hotel which doesn't require a cars in the alot to turn the electrics on

Now that Princess has gone over to the medallion system you do not have a cruise card to insert in the wall unit. They have got around this by having a card in there.  When you return to the cabin after the steward has serviced it one finds he/she has left it at a diagonal angle so your electrics are off and you just have to straighten it up.

Regards John

2 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

This is identical to almost every hotel in the world no? I dont think i've ever stayed in a hotel which doesn't require a cars in the alot to turn the electrics on

There are many, many hotels in the United States that do not have that feature.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

This is identical to almost every hotel in the world no? I dont think i've ever stayed in a hotel which doesn't require a card in the slot to turn the electrics on

I think this type of set up in the UK is more for the lodges.

Regards John

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, john watson said:

I think this type of set up in the UK is more for the lodges.

Regards John

Not really sure what you mean by that. Every major hotel chain i have ever stayed in around the world uses this system - Hilton, IHG, Radisson, Accor etc.

18 minutes ago, jimbo1683 said:

Not really sure what you mean by that. Every major hotel chain I have ever stayed in around the world uses this system - Hilton, IHG, Radisson, Accor etc.

Simply saying that I have only noticed this in some lodges.

Regards John