Taha’a coral gardens drift snorkel question

travelovingnurse

Hi, we are on the 10/21/21  Windstar Dreams of Tahiti cruise. We thought we were going to cancel our cruise and canceled our shore excursions we had booked through Windstar so that we would get a refund. Now it looks like we are going to end up going since things are opening back up and COVID cases are dropping significantly. 

Unfortunately,  now the Windstar Taha’a Coral Garden drift snorkel shore excursion is sold out. 

I read that we don’t have to use Windstar for shore excursions. If that is true, who is a reputable company to use for this shore excursion?

Thank you!

Edited by travelovingnurse

@travelovingnurse

Did you get on the waitlist for it? They also often offer afternoon tours when they get the demand. So don't give up hope.

You can't do Coral Gardens from any other company besides Windstar  from Motu Mahaea, and truly they are the best offering 3 passes. But there are two other company's that offer it from Raiatea- Bruno's L' Excursion Bleue, and Arii Moana. The only problem is that they include visits to vanilla farm and pearl farm as part of the tour and it bores me to tears and wastes valuable snorkel time- and 1 pass at Coral Gardens. I've not done Te Mara Nui before but going to try this time. They offer coral gardens and two hours at Motu Ofetaro snorkeling at a reasonable price https://www.te-mara-nui.com/en/snorkeling-motus-en.html

The other option is an amazing jet ski with Raiatea Jet. All around Tahaa, coral gardens- Whatever you want to do. very reasonable. Dolphins nearly jumping over our jetski. https://www.raiateajet.com/copie-de-descriptifs-des-tours-1

Tell them you don't want to do the run distillery and all that rot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

@travelovingnurse

Did you get on the waitlist for it? They also often offer afternoon tours when they get the demand. So don't give up hope.

You can't do Coral Gardens from any other company besides Windstar  from Motu Mahaea, and truly they are the best offering 3 passes. But there are two other company's that offer it from Raiatea- Bruno's L' Excursion Bleue, and Arii Moana. The only problem is that they include visits to vanilla farm and pearl farm as part of the tour and it bores me to tears and wastes valuable snorkel time- and 1 pass at Coral Gardens. I've not done Te Mara Nui before but going to try this time. They offer coral gardens and two hours at Motu Ofetaro snorkeling at a reasonable price https://www.te-mara-nui.com/en/snorkeling-motus-en.html

The other option is an amazing jet ski with Raiatea Jet. All around Tahaa, coral gardens- Whatever you want to do. very reasonable. Dolphins nearly jumping over our jetski. https://www.raiateajet.com/copie-de-descriptifs-des-tours-1

Tell them you don't want to do the run distillery and all that rot.

Thank you!  Yes, we are on the waitlist.  I am kicking myself for canceling this shore excursion.  I felt sure we weren't going to get to go!  Surprise!  UGH!

I wouldn’t worry too much. I’ll bet they add on another one for afternoon. You may want to book with Te Mara Nui in short run tho as a back up. No deposit required and no # of minimum passengers either.

it was a surprisingly full boat but small number passengers for Coral Gardens- like 12. I always urge people to book as soon as you make your cruise reservation. It’s just that wonderful!

@travelovingnurseI recommend that everyone get the cheapest snorkel/scuba gloves you can get on Amazon. They’ll do the trick fine. I paid $10 for mine several years ago and think they can be had for same now. We also bought cheapest neoprene pants and water shoes we could find and they all were great.

AND really glad you’re gonna go!!!!!!!

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Petoonya said:

@travelovingnurseI recommend that everyone get the cheapest snorkel/scuba gloves you can get on Amazon. They’ll do the trick fine. I paid $10 for mine several years ago and think they can be had for same now. We also bought cheapest neoprene pants and water shoes we could find and they all were great.

AND really glad you’re gonna go!!!!!!!

I agree...gloves and water shoes for sure. I think they try to accomodate everyone as this can be really special! 

Are swim fins typically used in FP? how about when doing the coral gardens drift snorkel? or are they prohibited due to the potential for damage to the coral?

Do you take your own fins? or just mask and snorkel?

@Dbld777

Yes definitely need swim fins in BB. It would be difficult to imagine following mantra rays etc. 🙂 without. No fins but water shoes at Coral Gardens are mandatory. To make the 3 passes over the stream, you float downstream, then pick yourself up and walk a goodly way over tumbled coral to start all over again.

We’ve brought our own equipment every time. It’s so much easier to have a sense of especially how your mask fits, and fins too.  To me, if you are an avid snorkeler you want to make the most of your time and not have to fuss with your mask. COVID now aside have always felt its more sanitary than a borrowed set.

People balk at having to drag their own, but as Tahiti is a snorkelers paradise I feel it’s worth it. Travel fins are great for most everything, but with those big old manta rays I had trouble keeping up. Travel fins just not that much a space savings with luggage, but worth trying out a pair from Amazon and return if you don’t think they’d be helpful or save space.

p

My husband jumped in the water from the snorkel boat without his fins because he was afraid he was going to miss the manta rays. The current swiftly took him faaar from the boat. The boat operator went and got him, but still.... lesson learned. Those of us with fins had no trouble with the current. 

Don't want to hijack this thread, but very interested in everyone's tour recommendations re snorkeling in Tahiti. But I have a question...are there rays at every snorkeling spot in Tahiti? Trying to avoid them (have tried it before; it didn't go well), but love snorkeling. Thank you for any comments you may have.

There are stingrays nearly everywhere most snorkel providers will go to in Bora Bora if it’s stingrays you’re talking about. But there are places where you snorkel above coral gardens in stingray free waters. Really don’t avoid snorkeling in BB tho- the finest snorkeling in FP. Go with H2O Bora Bora- they are wonderful. In Moorea there are also lots of rays but you may want to see whales/dolphins with Dr Poole. You can even swim with the whales. The season is June-Oct. Huahine not so many rays. Motu Mahaea you want to do the Coral Gardens- no rays! Fakarava- saw very few.

You’ll do fine. If you find a provider that you like just email and see how many ray free sites they’ll take you to. 😀

• Like 1

You can read all about these on TA.
Bora Bora- H2O Bora Bora

Huahine- Do the ship’ snorkel 

Motu Mahaea- Ship’s Coral Gardens

Fakarava- Ato Lissant- Fakarava Explorer

Moorea- Moorea Moana, Moorea Mermaid, Dr Poole (ship), rent a car- Albert’s or Avis.

Rangiroa- The Six Passengers. The Aquarium and drift snorkel Tiputa pass. A dive outfit that does snorkel tours.

Raiatea- Raiatea Jet if you want to jet ski. It’s a ski all around Tahaa. Bruno’s L’ Excursion Bleue. But lots of rays on his tour. Or do the ships kayaking. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@avalong

What a harrowing experience! That current is strong. I  chose last trip as the one to bring short travel fins on and what a mistake. I’m a decent swimmer but could just ‘sort of’ keep up in BB with the mantas. Those fins got trashed.

Hope your dh still got to catch a glimpse of the mantas.

16 hours ago, Petoonya said:

@avalong

What a harrowing experience! That current is strong. I  chose last trip as the one to bring short travel fins on and what a mistake. I’m a decent swimmer but could just ‘sort of’ keep up in BB with the mantas. Those fins got trashed.

Hope your dh still got to catch a glimpse of the mantas.

In all the hub-bub I don't remember whether he did or not! In the meantime, while the tour leader took the boat  to fetch my errant husband, the rest of us treaded water and got acquainted. LOL.  The Manta Rays had passed by and the water was too deep to do any snorkeling, so we all just chatted while treading water. They were primarily French-speakers, so that was interesting.

Anyhoo, I agree with you about bringing your own mask and snorkel. However, I really don't mind using Windstar's fins. That worked out great for us (except for when one of us didn't put them on...... :-)  )

@avalong

Did you happen to do this with Tohora Bora Bora?

Agree with you about using WS' fins. I have big, fat, floppy feet, and husband has large but narrow, delicate ones (he's the one who should have the pedicures). So BYOFs is a necessity 😄.

No, we did it with an outfit called Reef Discovery. 

I pack my own fins too when others are not readily available like on Windstar. It's really not a problem. I just put them in the bottom of my suitcase and proceed from there!

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned and brought our own snorkel equipment with us. I will say the snorkel equipment provided by WS looked brand new. 

One passenger was kicking himself that he didn’t pack his fins because WS didn’t have large enough fins to fit him and he had to go without.

All of @Petoonya recommendations are spot on, especially   Don’t miss H2O Bora Bora morning excursion or the ships coral garden off Tahaa from Raiatea or Motu Mahea. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the coral drift snorkel excursion, make sure you wear sturdy water shoes.  I had very flimsy ones on and suffered in pain walking over all the rocks, etc you need to walk on each time you make the drift run.  We were able to do 3 runs but because of the pain walking over the rocks, I chose to skip the last one.  The other problem I had was I was either drifting too close to the person in front of me or was far away from the person in front and therefore had trouble following the path the leader had set up for us.  There were lots of fish but I enjoyed snorkeling at the "Aquarium" with H20 Bora Bora much more.  You don't have to worry about being thrust into coral as much so much more relaxing.

• Like 1

In the Nov. 22nd Star Breeze Roll Call thread, there is a comment about not being able to do the drift snorkel on the day they are in Rangiroa due to tide conditions. Are there some days that you just can't do a drift snorkel through the coral gardens in Taha'a? or is there always a window at some time during the day?

On 11/7/2021 at 7:41 AM, Dbld777 said:

In the Nov. 22nd Star Breeze Roll Call thread, there is a comment about not being able to do the drift snorkel on the day they are in Rangiroa due to tide conditions. Are there some days that you just can't do a drift snorkel through the coral gardens in Taha'a? or is there always a window at some time during the day?

Yes, there are days and times when it's just too strong for drift snorkelers at the Tiputa Pass on Rangiroa. I was there once on Oceania Regatta and the tide had become stronger than expected, and the crew had to go around and round everyone up to get back to the boat. Or the ship would be trapped!

And this doesn't happen in Coral Gardens. The channel is narrower and not open deep water like in Rangiroa. The bodies of water that are on either side of Coral gardens are not as deep and immese as the ones on at Tiputa Pass. You probably know that there are times of the day where the water runs swifter (not strong enough to prevent snorkeling) than others at CG. I don't quite understand why both places are not predictable like tides are in other places in the world, but they are. I use an independent diving company to drift snorkel in Rangiroa and they always say, "we have to wait to see how the tides are."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the helpful information in this thread. We will be on our first Windstar cruise on our first trip (that actually happens) to FP next month. 

I'm probably going to purchase a prescription snorkel mask. I was able to borrow one from each of two snorkeling companies in Hawaii in July, but almost missed out one one by failing to reserve it in advance. 

I'm overwhelmed with the choices, so I'm wondering if the more experienced snorkelers here have opinions about the different masks for nearsighted folks. 

As a melanoma survivor, I do have full-body swim suits, but it sounds like I'll need to go the neoprene route if we try drift snorkeling. Thanks for that information! I'll be looking at sturdy water shoes, a well. 

I'm a decent to good swimmer, not great. Hubby is a poor swimmer. Is drift snorkeling something we (or he) should skip?

Thanks in advance for any help any of you can offer!

6 hours ago, lisajltx said:

Quick question, where do you put water shoes when wearing fins? 

Thanks!

If I'm snorkeling off a boat in deeper water I find that I don't need  water shoes. If I'm entering the water from the beach, I either put my fins on and walk backwards into the water, or walk into the water with my water shoes on, put my fins on in shallow water and toss the water shoes back onto the beach near my towel, etc. I'm interested to hear what other people do!

• Like 1