What if our cruise calls at a country on UK Red list?

Mim Lloyd

Just wondering how this works. We're on a RCI Caribbean cruise sailing out of Port Canaveral in January.  One of our port stops is Labadee, part of Haiti. Haiti is still on our UK Red list which means a compulsory stay in a quarantine hotel on our return to the UK, assuming that Haiti is still on the Red list when we go. As we've still got 3 months before the cruise, we're hoping it won't be on the Red list by then, but what happens if it is?  If we stayed aboard the ship would we be okay? How would we prove we didn't go ashore?  My sister is on a different cruise at the same time and she has 2 port stops in Mexico which is on our Red list, so she's wondering about this too.

2 hours ago, Mim Lloyd said:

Just wondering how this works. We're on a RCI Caribbean cruise sailing out of Port Canaveral in January.  One of our port stops is Labadee, part of Haiti. Haiti is still on our UK Red list which means a compulsory stay in a quarantine hotel on our return to the UK, assuming that Haiti is still on the Red list when we go. As we've still got 3 months before the cruise, we're hoping it won't be on the Red list by then, but what happens if it is?  If we stayed aboard the ship would we be okay? How would we prove we didn't go ashore?  My sister is on a different cruise at the same time and she has 2 port stops in Mexico which is on our Red list, so she's wondering about this too.

How many days after the stop until you go home? We were going to spend 14 days in Mexico in order to enter the US but then 10 days in the US to avoid a UK quarantine.

We have now changed to Canada to enter the US so the whole red thing is not a problem.

I guess if you port but don't get off it will be like transiting at an airport, most countries now count this as a visit, not sure about UK though?

12 hours ago, Mim Lloyd said:

If we stayed aboard the ship would we be okay? How would we prove we didn't go ashore? 

My reading of the red list rules is that even if you did not go ashore the red list rules (i.e. quarantine on return) would still apply:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-list-of-countries-and-territories#transiting-through-a-red-list-country-on-your-way-to-england

You also need to consider whether calling in to a country designated as "only essential travel" by FCDO would invalidate your travel insurance.

Hopefully some more countries will come off the red list by the time you and your sister are due to travel 🤞

We're on 2 back to back cruises on the Harmony. The Labadee stop is during the first week and is 10 days before we're due to fly home. To complicated things further I've just read from someone on the Harmony on 26 December, that Labadee has been ditched because of unrest there and the itinerary has been completely changed to include 2 stops in Mexico, like my sister. I think all we can do is sit and wait and hope that Haiti and Mexico come off our Red list by the time we're due to sail. 🤞

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, les37b said:

All off... but some now being added.

You've now got to hope we don't get added to their Red lists!

Yep one of the ones to be added is South Africa (and some other African countries). Interestingly, Telegraph Travel Writer Abigail Butcher's article 'The Transit Loophole or How to avoid quarantine hotel hell' offers some tips. "Transitting" was also mentioned by ziggyuk (above).

Rather than pay £2,285 pp plus £1,430 per child over 11 for 10 days quarantine in the Uk, she suggests a quick internet search, unveils some tempting winter sun alternatives. There's a junior suite on Mexico's Riviera Maya thru TUI at £1,289 pp, inc all drinks, a buffet or 6 a la carte restaurants and flights. Or you could do your 10 days penance at the 5 star Hard Rock Hotel in Goa at £1,345 pp.

In these uncertain times, there is the danger that your new island getaway, may get added to the the Gov's Red List. However, given the choice between exotic winter sun or quarantine in a Heathrow hotel, I'd probably tick the latter. My biggest problem after a 2 week cruise is how to shed 3 Kg quickly and cold curries served in a cardboard box, would certainly do the trick.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bertie Doe said:

Yep one of the ones to be added is South Africa (and some other African countries). Interestingly, Telegraph Travel Writer Abigail Butcher's article 'The Transit Loophole or How to avoid quarantine hotel hell' offers some tips. "Transitting" was also mentioned by ziggyuk (above).

Rather than pay £2,285 pp plus £1,430 per child over 11 for 10 days quarantine in the Uk, she suggests a quick internet search, unveils some tempting winter sun alternatives. There's a junior suite on Mexico's Riviera Maya thru TUI at £1,289 pp, inc all drinks, a buffet or 6 a la carte restaurants and flights. Or you could do your 10 days penance at the 5 star Hard Rock Hotel in Goa at £1,345 pp.

In these uncertain times, there is the danger that your new island getaway, may get added to the the Gov's Red List. However, given the choice between exotic winter sun or quarantine in a Heathrow hotel, I'd probably tick the latter. My biggest problem after a 2 week cruise is how to shed 3 Kg quickly and cold curries served in a cardboard box, would certainly do the trick.

Indeed. To avoid Montenegro turning red and that unwanted hotel visit, I planned to stay 2 nights in Malta to let the 10 days expire. Luckily the Cruise Line spared the need by not porting there.