Masking on long flights

Nebr.cruiser

Like a lot of us, we are really, really ready to get back to cruising this winter.  The Caribbean is always a possibility, but we've been there many, many times.  We have our eye on a Transatlantic in December.

Our worry is what it is like to wear a mask on a long overseas flight of 10+ hours.  I know many are used to wearing masks for 8 or more hours a day, but neither of us have had to wear one much more than an hour at a time and find it very difficult.  My husband is claustrophobic and I have lots of allergy issues, so that doesn't help.  Our area has been mostly make-free for months, except in certain areas like hospitals.

How did you cope if on a very long flight?  I'd really love to hear, and especially from anyone who has problems wearing masks for long periods.  We would probably fly business class for the long haul flight.  

• Thanks 1

I recently attended something that required I wear a mask for a couple of hours straight.  It was pretty annoying.   So for whatever it is worth, I have the same concern about long flights.  

I think i would definitely spend some time getting a comfortable mask.   In my case that would probably be an N95 mask.  And, I think I would look forward to sleeping for most of the flight.  

PS: Yes, I'm a wimp compared to all of our medical professionals who have been at the front lines for so long.  

I’m a senior, overweight, with asthma . . . We recently flew from the east coast to Alaska and back. Combining getting to the airport early, the layover, and getting luggage we were masked for about 14+ hours each way. No problems at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

I’m a senior, overweight, with asthma . . . We recently flew from the east coast to Alaska and back. Combining getting to the airport early, the layover, and getting luggage we were masked for about 14+ hours each way. No problems at all.

Thanks CPT.  What kind of mask do you guys wear on the plane?  

23 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Absolutely. Just did RT SFO-LIH on United. Of course, it was only 5+ hours each way. We used disposable N-95 masks. No big deal. 

And it doesn’t matter anyway. No mask = no flight. And let’s hope that the mask requirement for airports and airplanes stays in place for a very long time (and that more airlines start banning cloth masks in favor of surgical and N-95 ones).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hate wearng a mask - they all fog my glasses to the point I can see nothing - I've tried every type until I came across a neck gator/buff /tubulur scarf. I made one in merino - and its brillant - keep around your neck and pull it up as needed - I use my glasses to anchor it and its much easier to breath with (and the glasses stay clear) . They do get a bit damp - but you could have 2 and swap them regularly. 

The kn95 masks are second best - they are really comfortable to wear as masks - its just the glasses fogging - I can wear them if I wear contacts - but I wouldn't wear contacts in a plane. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, lissie said:

I hate wearng a mask - they all fog my glasses to the point I can see nothing - I've tried every type until I came across a neck gator/buff /tubulur scarf. I made one in merino - and its brillant - keep around your neck and pull it up as needed - I use my glasses to anchor it and its much easier to breath with (and the glasses stay clear) . They do get a bit damp - but you could have 2 and swap them regularly. 

The kn95 masks are second best - they are really comfortable to wear as masks - its just the glasses fogging - I can wear them if I wear contacts - but I wouldn't wear contacts in a plane. 

You may want to check with your airline refarding which masks are acceptable. https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2021/09/03/cloth-masks-airline-banned-covid/

Fortunately, gaiters, bandanas, scarves,  etc (which really don’t perform as a true mask because of no total tight fit) are being increasingly banned by airlines. 

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, lissie said:

I've tried every type until I came across a neck gator/buff /tubulur scarf. I made one in merino - and its brillant - keep around your neck and pull it up as needed

You certainly wouldn't get away with that in Europe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

You certainly wouldn't get away with that in Europe. 

What's to get away with? They are effective as any mask short of an actual fitted n95 which no one else is wearing on a plane either. For me it acutally means I can keep it on and not touch it - any other  mask I 'm forever pulling away from my face so I can  unfog my glasses 

https://ohsonline.com/articles/2020/12/21/neck-gaiters-are-effective-face-coverings-says-cdc-and-niosh-report.aspx

Its not really Europe I'm  concerned about - we won't be there until next  year - I doubt that masks will still be in widespread use by then. Like the  OP I  may well be stuck with a 30 hour flight to get there and that's where I think facemasks will hang around for longer. 

Edited by lissie
  • Haha 1

My biggest issue with wearing a mask at the airport/on the plane was when we were walking from one terminal to another. We had to hustle because of short connection times and breathing was an issue (I have mild COPD and am missing 1/3 of a lung). Next time I'll try the N95 and see if that helps (and of course next time we'll be flying non-stop so don't have to worry about short connection times).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, lissie said:

What's to get away with? They are effective as any mask short of an actual fitted n95 which no one else is wearing on a plane either. For me it acutally means I can keep it on and not touch it - any other  mask I 'm forever pulling away from my face so I can  unfog my glasses 

https://ohsonline.com/articles/2020/12/21/neck-gaiters-are-effective-face-coverings-says-cdc-and-niosh-report.aspx

Its not really Europe I'm  concerned about - we won't be there until next  year - I doubt that masks will still be in widespread use by then. Like the  OP I  may well be stuck with a 30 hour flight to get there and that's where I think facemasks will hang around for longer. 

Just an example of the sort of conditions that airlines are imposing:

"It’s important that your mask offers the best possible protection, so we’re no longer allowing scarves, face visors or masks with valves. Your mask needs to be FFP2 certified (or equivalent) and be surgical or cloth material. If it’s not suitable, you may be refused travel."

• Like 5

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just an example of the sort of conditions that airlines are imposing:

"It’s important that your mask offers the best possible protection, so we’re no longer allowing scarves, face visors or masks with valves. Your mask needs to be FFP2 certified (or equivalent) and be surgical or cloth material. If it’s not suitable, you may be refused travel."

And it's going to be up to the country/airport/airline. I don't believe it's going to be negotiable.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, clo said:

And it's going to be up to the country/airport/airline. I don't believe it's going to be negotiable.

I am sure anyone who thinks they can negotiate will quickly find that that is true.

• Like 4

To OP, maybe start wearing masks around town, increasing time until you feel comfortable or at least tolerate wearing them for an extended period.

To put it in perspective, when we went to pick up MIL at LAX, while waiting for her to come out of customs/immigration, we saw 5 persons coming out in full hazmat suits, taped gloves, full face hockey puck respirators, and face shields. You think they would have had to at least drink and pee during the flight. Kid took pictures, but SWMBO made him delete them.  🤨

Fogging glasses, SWMBO works in a med facility and says some doctors/nurses put a strip of "medical" tape across the top of the mask. PITA when changing masks, but "gota do what you gota do."  

Edited by Philob

I fly on a weekly basis and I find that the disposable, surgical blue masks are the best when flying. They don’t feel as restrictive as cloth masks, or others that I’ve used. I sometimes forget that I’m wearing it while I’m in flight. 

• Thanks 1

I want to thank all of you who have stated your experiences on this thread.  Encouraging in some cases, but mirroring my issues and concerns in others.  Breathing issues, fogging of glasses, and the need to use an ear piece of my glasses to secure one side of the mask because of not being able to get the mask's strap behind one ear which then causes my glasses not to be properly placed for the best focusing are concerns of mine.  

15 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

. And let’s hope that the mask requirement for airports and airplanes stays in place for a very long time 

Please re-read my above post and understand the hardship that such a requirement places on some of us.  

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

I want to thank all of you who have stated your experiences on this thread.  Encouraging in some cases, but mirroring my issues and concerns in others.  Breathing issues, fogging of glasses, and the need to use an ear piece of my glasses to secure one side of the mask because of not being able to get the mask's strap behind one ear which then causes my glasses not to be properly placed for the best focusing are concerns of mine.  

Please re-read my above post and understand the hardship that such a requirement places on some of us.  

Unfortunately,  public health concerns supercede your personal mask fitting problems. Mask rules are not there just to inconvenience you, and I would hope they will remain in place as long as necessary.

If wearing a mask with a moldable nose band, and placing your glasses on top of the mask doesn't work, then using a bit of tape, or  a tighter flitting mask like an N95 may work better. If you can't properly wear a mask with ear loops, then look at getting a mask head band that allows you to attach the ear loops to the band, behind your head. Or wear a mask with straps that go over the head, not behind the ear. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

I fly on a weekly basis and I find that the disposable, surgical blue masks are the best when flying. They don’t feel as restrictive as cloth masks, or others that I’ve used. I sometimes forget that I’m wearing it while I’m in flight. 

I've still been flying regularly for my essential job, including international and longhaul. I totally agree - I won't fly without disposable, it makes things so much easier. Can't imagine doing a 14-hour nonstop or a 30-hour multi-stop with a cloth mask. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Philob said:

Fogging glasses, SWMBO works in a med facility and says some doctors/nurses put a strip of "medical" tape across the top of the mask. PITA when changing masks, but "gota do what you gota do."  

Yes my opthamalogist does that when she's in surgery. However she's wearing a custom fitted mask.  And in real life you're taking a mask on  and off multiple times an hour as you move around - maybe would try this on a long flight though 

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Sorry but your “hardship” (and my occasionally fogging glasses) are mere inconveniences in the relative scheme of all things Covid. 
Just wear the mask and try to be satisfied with your good deed of adding to the protection of all with whom you may interact.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1