Tazzari / Twizy rental

AnitaVacation

Hello, I am looking for information / a review from anyone that has rented one of the electric cars recently.  (preferably the Tazzari) We have a Tazzari reserved for our upcoming cruise and can't wait!!  We have been to Bermuda many times, but there are some places we have not yet been (due to lack of bus service in some areas and thus the requirement for much walking, which is not an option for us anymore).  

I am hoping that someone that recently used one can provide some pros and cons, pictures, tips, etc...so we know what to expect when we get there!!

Thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!!  well, since no one could offer any information on this topic, let me be the first.  We are on our way back to new york after leaving Bermuda yesterday.  We went ahead and rented the Tazzari for two days and that's one more experience that we've struck from our bucket list. Here are my thoughts, the good, the bad and the ugly.

The good:  The Tezzari is a cute little side by side two seater vehicle built by Renault. Even with it's tiny size, it was comfy enough for two chubby Americans.  Plenty of storage room in the back to bring whatever you may need...in plain terms, probably about 4 or 5 full grocery bags.  There are two usb plugs in the front, and another between the seats (that one didn't work).  The Tezzari moved along quickly and could easily keep up with traffic if you are daring enough.  We kept our speed down and had to pull over a few times to let some of the faster traffic go by.  The roads are very narrow and the locals drive fast, it can be a little nerve racking.  Also, if you plan to do this...bring some good maps and know where you want to go ahead of time.  It is not convenient to try to read a map while this little car is bumping along Bermuda's twisty and uneven roads (did I mention narrow roads?).  Having the freedom to cruise the island at our pace was convenient.

The Bad:  When we rented this car (via internet) we were told that their app would provide us with gps while one the island....this is not true.  Their app provides a map (of places to charge up), but it's not actually gps....it does not tell you where you are (and our google gps did not work either).  Not all of the roads have signs and sometimes you will pass your turn.  Try to stick to the main roads, try to avoid rush hour, which seems to be around 4pm-ish.  Driving on the left is an adjustment, not too bad until you get to one of the round about thingy's....just follow the car in front of you.  Charging stations, depending on how far you take this little buggy, you may need to charge.  The first day we only went as far St Johns Bay, up to Shelley Beach and back to Kings Wharf and we were at 50% upon return.  We did make a stop at a charging station for 30 minutes and only gained 3 percent....so, it's a slow charge.  Also, no power steering...my husband said he definitely got a work out with the steering.

The Ugly: It's a slow charge....the second day, we drove out to St Davids and St George....when we got to St George our battery read 66%, so we plugged in (right in town) and went to lunch...($77 for 2 lunches at the White Horse, that's also ugly)....anyway...just over an hour, our battery moved to 81%...so again, slow charger.  I really hope Renault doesn't charge alot for these vehicles, they are basically all plastic....

Overall: expensive $391 for two days, cheaply made, nice to have the freedom to go where you want (just make sure you know where you want to go) The second day was better than the first, more relaxed with how the car handled and the traffic and had a better idea of where we wanted to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2021 at 4:21 PM, AnitaVacation said:

(and our google gps did not work either).  Not all of the roads have signs and s

Thank you for the report. I never rented those vehicles because I know I personally would be too stressed to drive on the narrow winding roads with their traffic. 

The GPS in your phone should have worked in Google Maps. What I noticed about Google Maps in Bermuda though was that the map itself was not accurate. They had wrong street names. St. George in particular. 

Edited by Charles4515

13 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The GPS in your phone should have worked in Google Maps. What I noticed about Google Maps in Bermuda though was that the map itself was not accurate. They had wrong street names. St. George in particular. 

I tried several times to open my google maps and it just could not seem to find us. (Just showed a blank grid)...

Before we left...I did print out some blown up street maps of the island, but decided not to take them because, gps, right?? LOL

The car was a lot safer than taking scooters....most of the time, there was little traffic...and it was easy enough to pull over to let others pass. (avoid the roads between 4-530, seems to be rush hour)...

Top speed (limit) is about 50kph, which is approx 35 mph...most of the time you are doing about 30 mph...

Another tip...if you have a convenient size tablet or ipad, download their app to use as a map....I had it on my phone, and it was quite difficult to see it on the small 6" screen...my ipad would have been quite handy for this!  

The car does have heat and a/c and a fan....we didn't run anything, in fear of draining the battery quicker.

• 2 months later...

Your review was very thorough. I have rented the Twizzy more than once. 

In comparison--the Twizzy is driver up front with passenger behind. Not much storage space--more space if you are riding solo. Not very comfy for cubby Americans. Ha. 

One thing--driving a small electric vehicle is a huge difference from a scooter. I have rented and ridden scooters in Bermuda for a very long time. I am very good driving it and navigating the Bermuda roads that I know well. The electric cars are definitely treated as a vehicle on the road, whereas scooters are treated with much less respect on the road. Been passed, honked at and yelled at by impatient locals (not many--but if you are a nervous rider am sure this would freak you out). 

The Twizzy holds the charge well and would seem to me charges faster. It was also $99 per day.  I did have the GPS on their app, but as a cheap visitor my phone was only usable when free wi-fi was available. A map should be available on ship or at visitors center on shore. Fairly easy to get around--three main roads--North Shore, South Shore and Middle Road. 

I was not there on a cruise at the time I rented. Our daughter was married in Bermuda and it was super convenient having some Twizzy's rented amongst our guests for shopping and errands that came up along the way getting the wedding organized. There were last minute items needed, despite having an awesome Wedding Planner!! 

All in all I think the small electric vehicles are a great addition for tourists in Bermuda. While the bus and ferry system are very good, it can be taxed with thousands of tourists arriving at the same time. The scooters are a great, fun way to get around, BUT for those not familiar with them, or the small windy roads, or driving on the left, it can be not only challenging but dangerous. This gives he adventurous another option. 

In my opinion, Bermuda is definitely a destination for which you do not need to pay for expensive excursions with or without the cruise line. A little online research and an electric vehicle can take you everywhere. A map, a co-pilot, and you are good to go!!!

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 11:58 AM, brzymom said:

Your review was very thorough. I have rented the Twizzy more than once. 

In comparison--the Twizzy is driver up front with passenger behind. Not much storage space--more space if you are riding solo. Not very comfy for cubby Americans. Ha. 

One thing--driving a small electric vehicle is a huge difference from a scooter. I have rented and ridden scooters in Bermuda for a very long time. I am very good driving it and navigating the Bermuda roads that I know well. The electric cars are definitely treated as a vehicle on the road, whereas scooters are treated with much less respect on the road. Been passed, honked at and yelled at by impatient locals (not many--but if you are a nervous rider am sure this would freak you out). 

The Twizzy holds the charge well and would seem to me charges faster. It was also $99 per day.  I did have the GPS on their app, but as a cheap visitor my phone was only usable when free wi-fi was available. A map should be available on ship or at visitors center on shore. Fairly easy to get around--three main roads--North Shore, South Shore and Middle Road. 

I was not there on a cruise at the time I rented. Our daughter was married in Bermuda and it was super convenient having some Twizzy's rented amongst our guests for shopping and errands that came up along the way getting the wedding organized. There were last minute items needed, despite having an awesome Wedding Planner!! 

All in all I think the small electric vehicles are a great addition for tourists in Bermuda. While the bus and ferry system are very good, it can be taxed with thousands of tourists arriving at the same time. The scooters are a great, fun way to get around, BUT for those not familiar with them, or the small windy roads, or driving on the left, it can be not only challenging but dangerous. This gives he adventurous another option. 

In my opinion, Bermuda is definitely a destination for which you do not need to pay for expensive excursions with or without the cruise line. A little online research and an electric vehicle can take you everywhere. A map, a co-pilot, and you are good to go!!!

We're planning on renting a Twizy when we visit Bermuda in July 2022. We'll be there for 2.5 days/3 nights; sleeping on the Celebrity Summit. I have done some research on the Twizy and other options for personal transportation; the Twizy will work best for us. I spent a lot of time in Bermuda when I was in the USN back in the 1970s, we are looking forward to finding our old haunts....if we can!

What did you use for navigation while in the Twizy? I downloaded an offline map app but it appears to now allow you to request guidance, it only shows you were you are. So I am looking for alternatives for our Android phone/tablet.

Doug

Hey Doug--

You will find the Twizy fun to drive and much better than those bicycles with a motor like we had in the 70's!! No peddling uphill!!

I have not used the Nav app they offer for one major reason--not paying roaming charges on phone or tablet while in Bermuda. Many restaurants and bars have free WiFI, but service is spotty at best cause everyone in the place is trying to use it also.

Get the Bermuda map when you get off the ship, besides the tourist center, many shops have them on the counter. The passenger can be the navigator. It is pretty easy to get around and there are signs for most attractions. 

As for old haunts, let me see--in St. George's the only thing left you will remember is The White Horse. There is a new owner and he has certainly classed it up quite a bit. He also runs the concessions at Tobacco Bay Beach and Clearwater Beach--as well as the all the new airport restaurants! Real nice guy. The old town is very quiet these days, and we thought it was quiet back in the day!!

Swizzle Inn is still there near the airport, Hogpenny Pub in Hamilton. Henry VIII on South Shore is still going as well. 

Many fond memories of sailors we met in the 70's--thought it was a romance, but it ended up he and his friends became part of the family, spending lots of time with my big family while we rented a house for a month. I know they all missed home and my Mom was real welcoming! Thanks for the memories!! I hope you have a great trip and enjoy that Twizy. If you are venturing out each day from Dockyard to rest of island the charge will def last you for the day, just be sure to plug it in to a charger overnight.

Best bet take the ferry from Dockyard to Hamilton then just ask someone for directions to Princess Hotel, or hop a taxi. It's close to ferry dock and you'll be on your way.

Tricia, thanks very much for the reply! We are really looking forward to seeing the island again. You and I have the same warm memories. We rented a place in St George and traveled all over the island on my Kawasaki MC1. When I say "we" I mean sometimes all three of us! Good Lord, can't believe we did that. Usually it was my daughter and I on the Kawa, and my wife on an old Zundap mo-ped. Wish I had pictures of that, they would look funny (and scary )today!

• 3 months later...

We've rented a Tazzari for 2 of the 3 days in Bermuda.  We pick it up at the Dockyard location.  I was wondering since we pick it up there, is there a guaranteed parking/charging spot there?  Or do others that rent from other locations park and charge there overnight?  

18 hours ago, jakebloke said:

We've rented a Tazzari for 2 of the 3 days in Bermuda.  We pick it up at the Dockyard location.  I was wondering since we pick it up there, is there a guaranteed parking/charging spot there?  Or do others that rent from other locations park and charge there overnight?  

I asked them (Bermuda Rental Car) that via an online form just a few minutes ago. Although I had been thinking of renting a Twizy from Current, I am now thinking more of renting the Tazzari for our 2 days at the Dockyard. I hope we can leave our Tazzari charging overnight so it's fully charged the day we get it and also the second day for our travels. I figure we'd stop somewhere for lunch and looking around to let it charge 1-3 hours during each day. Crazy expensive at nearly $400 for just two days! But whatcha gonna do?😎

I will post their reply when and if they reply.

Doug

21 hours ago, jakebloke said:

I don't think people would rent at other locations and charge at the Dockyard overnight. Only cruise passengers would charge there overnight. I posted a photo of the Tazzari at the pickup location at the Dockyard  in another thread. Did you see that photo?

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I don't think people would rent at other locations and charge at the Dockyard overnight. Only cruise passengers would charge there overnight. I posted a photo of the Tazzari at the pickup location at the Dockyard  in another thread. Did you see that photo?

Would you please repost if possible. I don't believe I saw your photo (either).

Doug

On 4/15/2022 at 3:05 PM, jakebloke said:

When will you be in Bermuda? My visit is July 2022.....so maybe you can be a guinea pig for me!😀

7 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

...photo....

Thanks for posting that photo, Charles. Looks as if we can plug in our rental, leave for the night to sleep on the ship, then return the following morning with the car fully charged. I read above you have not rented a car (or scooter) in Bermuda because of the stress of driving on the "wrong side" of the road. Reminds me of my time in the Navy over there. The first week our squadron had very few accidents on the road. But the second week, when they were "used" to driving on the other side, we had many accidents resulting in road rash and occasionally worse. I'm hoping we who rent will be in the first category and remember to drive on the "wrong side". I'm assuming the steering wheel in on the proper side for the roads in Bermuda....that will help remind Tazzari renters.😎

Doug

Edited by PaperSniper4

On 10/23/2021 at 4:21 PM, AnitaVacation said:

Hello!!  well, since no one could offer any information on this topic, let me be the first.  We are on our way back to new york after leaving Bermuda yesterday.  We went ahead and rented the Tazzari for two days and that's one more experience that we've struck from our bucket list. Here are my thoughts, the good, the bad and the ugly.

I am planning on renting a Tazarri at Bermuda Rental Car, but not until I understand what their refund policy is. Do you recall what it was? Seems to me that would be good information to add to their FAQ page. I completed a form on their web site asking that, but I have not received a reply. With all this COVID stuff going on right now I won't book anything without a refund policy; just common sense. Seems to me that would be good information to add to their FAQ page.

Doug

UPDATE: I did a mock booking to see if the refund policy would show prior to entering a credit card; it does:

image.thumb.png.bd9f8604c43c9b73d9d87faca36e2f14.png

Edited by PaperSniper4

22 hours ago, jakebloke said:

I sent them an email as well a few days ago and haven’t heard back.  I’ll let you know if they even respond.  

Check my reply this date.......................their policy is about the same as most, cancel NLT 24 hrs in advance for a refund.

Doug

So for those of you renting the electric buggys...what are your plans?? Where are you going?  If you are looking for an amazing beach, I highly recommend Clearwater Beach (near St Davids).  When we were there, it was pretty empty.  Crystal clear water, lagoon like.  There were no amenities so bring your own stuff (it might have been because we were there in late October during the week)...I've been told that this is the beach that the locals go to...there is no bus line to get there, so, unless you're driving yourself or arriving by taxi...(reason why it's so quiet there).  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, AnitaVacation said:

So for those of you renting the electric buggys...what are your plans??................

We hope to visit the places we enjoyed back in the early 1970s. I deployed to NAS Bermuda several times, and my wife and infant daughter joined me there for a few months in 1973. Buses and taxis are not very convenient, and the former are expensive. While we handled mo-peds with bravado and aplomb back in the day, those days are far behind us at age 70 plus!😎

39 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

We hope to visit the places we enjoyed back in the early 1970s. I deployed to NAS Bermuda several times, and my wife and infant daughter joined me there for a few months in 1973. Buses and taxis are not very convenient, and the former are expensive. While we handled mo-peds with bravado and aplomb back in the day, those days are far behind us at age 70 plus!😎

ooo...do tell....where are these little gems?? 

26 minutes ago, AnitaVacation said:

ooo...do tell....where are these little gems?? 

A lot of them were on board or near the Navy Base, so no longer there since that area is now the Bermuda International Airport. Other places were mainly in St George. Just walking around St George and Hamilton will refresh memories we hope. The only places I can recall right now are the Crystal Caves, "Bottle" Beach, Clearwater and and Horseshoe Beach; I can't even remember the name of most, but hopefully we can find them. One is the "local's" restaurant near our rented house; one of the few places off base we could afford to eat. Back then we could not afford to play tourist, this time we can! My wife is  trying  to remember the name of the place where she'd go for scones and tea occasionally. We think it was near the Perfume Factory and near a fork is the road.....not a lot to go on! We have started research hoping that it will spark more memories.

Doug