Lobster in steakhouse

jantoni

5 hours ago, nwcruiselover said:

When you order surf and turf in the steakhouse you get half a lobster tail.  When ordering lobster you get the whole tail.  Very good and much better than the lobster in MDR on lobster night.

Is a whole lobster available in the steakhouse?  I didn't find it on this menu, only the surf and turf.  Do you know how big they are and if they are available on, say, the Vista in 2 weeks?  

This news would make Mrs. ZZ very happy.

1 hour ago, zzdoug said:

Is a whole lobster available in the steakhouse?  I didn't find it on this menu, only the surf and turf.  Do you know how big they are and if they are available on, say, the Vista in 2 weeks?  

Had to look because I didn't know that it isn't on the menu anymore.  I wonder when that changed?

Edited by vwrestler171

1 hour ago, zzdoug said:

When I was in the steakhouse recently they didn’t have whole lobster, just either a lobster tail or surf & turf.

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

I live in New England, and IMHO, the only lobster worth having (if I actually ate lobster) is Maine lobster. As fresh as possible.

Even if I did eat lobster, I would probably still skip it on a cruise.

While a lobster meal on a cruise ship isn't nearly as good as a fresh cold water lobster (Maine, Canadian)  I still enjoy and appreciate a lobster tail on a cruise ship.  If you're ever on a ship that stops in Maine you owe it to yourself to get off the ship and go to a seafood restaurant and have a lobster meal.  Fresh, cold water lobster has tender and sweeter meat.  The lobster is this picture had just come off the boat.

20161026_125958_1.thumb.jpg.754c0149bfc7d2e99998d73e9fe4688b.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oakman58 said:

While a lobster meal on a cruise ship isn't nearly as good as a fresh cold water lobster (Maine, Canadian)  I still enjoy and appreciate a lobster tail on a cruise ship.  If you're ever on a ship that stops in Maine you owe it to yourself to get off the ship and go to a seafood restaurant and have a lobster meal.  Fresh, cold water lobster has tender and sweeter meat.  The lobster is this picture had just come off the boat.

20161026_125958_1.thumb.jpg.754c0149bfc7d2e99998d73e9fe4688b.jpg

I partially agree.

If you are on a cruise that stops in Maine, find a cab or Uber and ask to be taken to a "Lobster Pound."  If you are in Bar Harbor I suggest the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound.  It won't be an elegant meal, the staff will likely be surly, but it will be the freshest and best lobster you have had, boiled outdoors in sea water.  Not to miss.

• Like 2

I'll just make the pilgrimage to our lake house (45 minutes from home), and pick up a batch of lobsters on the way, for $5-6/pound this year (so $8-9 for a pound and a half bug), boil them up in my pot while sitting watching the lake and drinking beer.  Whether whole lobster for dinner, or picked out for a roll for lunch, can't beat the price.

• Like 3

On 10/6/2021 at 2:29 PM, firefly333 said:

Its says Maine lobster on the menu  . .idk what the Mdr lobster is lol. Just know on the menu in the steakhouse says Maine lobster.

We had it in August and sucked......not what you'd want in our opinion.  At least we know as we'll ask for the Cowboy Steak Oct 30th when we sail again (by the way they were out of stock on the Cowboy Ribeye on the Aug cruise - so expect the unexpected).  Just saying it is what is was and poor service hoping it is better this time around.  Looking forward to R&R!