Oceania Marketing Vista as a Different Ship Class

Robjame

16 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

That is pretty accurate for both Seaborn and Silverseas (we cannot speak to other luxury lines).  We have no problems with that arrangement but do understand that some folks have issues.  We used to point out that the Captain and most senior officers of ships all have their cabins towards the bow.  But I do understand that some are not happy with anything but amid ship cabins and we do wish them well.  On the other hand have you ever been on an airplane with first class or business anywhere but towards to the front?

Hank

You are lucky you don't have to worry about mal de mer! If I want to pinch a penny by not booking mid-ship (and I would most certainly want to pinch a penny on either of those lines), then a little ways aft on a lower deck (what I like to call aquarium class) is perfect. 

I will never understand the placement of first class in airplanes or the placement of some owner's suites on various cruise lines. For that kind of money you should get the smoothest ride possible.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 7:51 AM, ak1004 said:

I checked veranda prices on few random European sailings, and it seems that the difference is very small, less than 10%. It's surprising considering that the cabins on the O ships are significantly larger. But I guess it reflects the fact that many people like smaller ships.

The conversation on this thread caused me to do a check of my own.

We are booked on a 22-day Mediterranean cruise on Vista in May-June 2023.  I selected cruises of similar length on Sirena and Riviera in the same region at about the same time.  I used pricing for a PH1 which is what we have booked.

The per day cost for the three cruises was only about 6% difference between highest and lowest.  Contrary to some other conclusions, Vista was in the middle - with Sirena lowest and Riviera highest.

I am not suggesting that this is a universal conclusion, but as always it demonstrates that when making comparisons the results are heavily influenced by the choice of comparators.

• Like 2

This is slightly off topic, but I remember someone mentioned that prices are much higher for 2022-2023 cruises, so I did a quick check.

Our first (and only one so far) Oceania cruise was in 2018 on the Riviera in Sep. 2018. It was a 10 nights cruise from Rome to Barcelona and we paid $4,399 CAD for an inside cabin.

image.png.48322712a0e49b104fa5c3ff503dc7c8.png

I checked prices for similar 10 nights cruises, and they seem to be in $3,100-3,500 CAD range, so actually significantly cheaper than in 2018:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/bordeaux-northern-europe-cruises/barcelona-to-london-RVA230522/

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/mediterranean-cruises/barcelona-to-rome-RVA220818/

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/mediterranean-cruises/venice-to-rome-MNA220514/

I compared similar periods, prices in October are even lower.

Am I missing something?

I am new to Oceania but have booked 7 cruises for travel in 2023.  One of the major benefits is that they offer back to back which many cruise lines don't.  I have done heaps of research over the last couple of years on various cruise lines and for what I want in a cruise ship this seems to have it all.  I am a solo traveler and even though I was excited about the new solo cabins on Vista, found that the price was still a bit steep and I was actually better off getting a french balcony cabin which I did.  So currently I am booked on Marina leaving Rio in January 2023 and ending in Santiago (two cruises back to back) and then in July on Vista from Venice all the way through to New York which is (5 cruises back to back).  Have friends joining me in that lot but solo on Marina but still very excited not only to be back cruising again but on two ships that look absolutely amazing.  If anyone else is travelling on either of these sailings please feel free to let me know. 

On 10/8/2021 at 12:55 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

You do realize that the current Vista prices are for the future(?). 
But, even if it was tomorrow, what makes Vista worth what you perceive to be a higher cost is that O regulars won’t hesitate to pay the price.

i agree

16 hours ago, 2beagaliers said:

currently I am booked on Marina leaving Rio in January 2023 and ending in Santiago (two cruises back to back) and then in July on Vista from Venice all the way through to New York which is (5 cruises back to back).  Have friends joining me in that lot but solo on Marina but still very excited not only to be back cruising again but on two ships that look absolutely amazing.  If anyone else is travelling on either of these sailings please feel free to let me know. 

Not sure if you are aware that there are Roll Calls on CruiseCritic for each voyage where other people who booked these sailings share information, excursions, and ideas.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2021 at 1:05 PM, pinotlover said:

Anyone watching the current economic news will tell you that comparing cruise prices for a 2022 cruise priced 18 months ago, versus a 2023 cruise, recently priced, is comparing apples to oranges. Fuel Oil, food, and labor prices are increasing dramatically for those of you that obviously haven’t noticed. Oceania can hedge some of that out into 2022, but not 2023. Those price differentials you’re seeing are inflation hedges based upon the expectations of inflation. In 2023, if prices subside and Oceania needs to sell cabins,  they’ll have the flexibility to drop prices. However, if inflation starts swirling upward, those currently posted prices may look like a bargain in 18 months.

I think you are absolutely correct.

Food, fuel, labour charges. The cruise industry is very vulnerable to these and I would not be surprised to see future cruises taking a dramatic jump.

Remember fuel surcharges for air travel?