P&O around Australia - June 2024

In a first for P&O Australia, Pacific Explorer will host the inaugural voyage, which will depart from either Brisbane or Sydney, and visit Melbourne, Adelaide, Albany, Fremantle, Exmouth, Broome, Kuri Bay, Darwin, Cairns and Airlie Beach, along with a call at Ambon Island in Indonesia.

The cruise also includes scenic cruising of Yampi Sound and Raft Point in the Kimberley.

P&O’s new Australian Explorer cruise and 2023/24 program will go on sale next Wednesday, 13th October. Source

What is at Kuri Bay? If Princess cruises around Australia are a guide, this cruise should be very popular.

Maybe the popularity of Princess' around Aust cruises has prompted P&O to follow suit. They used to do longer cruises up until 2010, so it is interesting to see that they are changing their marketing strategy again. With their short cruises, they were seeking to attract first-time cruisers and people who wouldn't go on such a long cruise.

Edited by Aus Traveller

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm not sure I'd want to do the southern part of that cruise at that time of year. The sea conditions could be a bit rough then.

Good point but if I book a mid ship cabin lower down on the ship and take plenty of sea sick tablets ...🙄

You're right it is an interesting time to run this cruise.

But it is good that they are trying to run longer cruises in our winter time, it may just not be the right intinerary for that time of year. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm not sure I'd want to do the southern part of that cruise at that time of year. The sea conditions could be a bit rough then.

Maybe P&O will copy Princess and split the cruise into Southern and Northern routes.

Pacific Explorer also has an interesting cruise going Fremantle to Cairns on 18th May 2023. Then several cruises based in Cairns. There is an eclipse cruise on the 17th April 2023. P&O seem to mixing up their itineraries, which is good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

Any variance in ports between this PO itinerary and Princess one. Or is it same ports.

It looks like pretty much the same ports as the Princess ones. There aren't actually that many options in some parts of Australia.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

Any variance in ports between this PO itinerary and Princess one. Or is it same ports.

For P&O ports missing are Willis Is (of course), Geraldton, Busselton, Burnie and Hobart.

P&O ports added are Airlie Beach, Ambon and Exmouth.

I think Ambon may be a stretch even in 2024.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

For P&O ports missing are Willis Is (of course), Geraldton, Busselton, Burnie and Hobart.

Bali is opening up now, can't see why Ambon wouldn't  be by 2024

2 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

The Princess ports vary sometimes. Willis Island isn't usually on their Round Australia itineraries, they usually go to PNG or somewhere in Indonesia. The next one, in March, was changed to Willis Island.

I can understand them omitting Tasmania at that time of year. Just going through Bass Strait would be bad enough if the seas are high.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

Its looks like a interesting cruise! and could be a good one to do!

This is only the second time P&O Australia has offered a 28 day long cruise!

I would imagine that it will be very popular. I just worry about crossing the Great Australian Bight in winter.

MSLP_11July.png.02e4c5eba13fe9047b2327b0c1fecac2.png

33 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

I would imagine that it will be very popular. I just worry about crossing the Great Australian Bight in winter.

MSLP_11July.png.02e4c5eba13fe9047b2327b0c1fecac2.png

It could be very rough and not a pleasant cruise across the bight. May not be an easy ride through Port Phillip Heads either. Not for me at that time of the year.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 9:54 AM, MicCanberra said:

Those stretches of water can be rough any time of the year, just like the Bass strait

Some huge swells in the Bight and Bass Straight, been through a couple.

I had a great day on the old Dawn Princess on the ground floor in the atrium watching the waves hit the windows during a crossing of the Bass straight.

Half the ship stayed in bed and the other half were in the atrium.

I had a couple of seasick tablets as well as plenty of coffee to keep me awake.

I don't know if I would like to do a few days like that though.

• Like 1