Cruise Cancellations

tring

I have seen reports of Balmoral cruises for December being cancelled and one comment mentioned that challenging times were mentioned by Fred.  Since there were less than 500 passengers on Bolette to Spain in the last couple of weeks, I suggest the challenge is the lack of profits as we were told by senior staff on a summer cruise which had a similar number of passengers, that the ship was not making any money at that stage.   We have also been told on a Fred ship recently that cruise ships can currently sail with about 70% occupancy, (about 900 passengers for the ex HAL ships) at present, due to social distancing protocols.

I do not know yet when Balmoral is now due to sail, but is clearly.not until some time next year.

10 hours ago, tring said:

I have seen reports of Balmoral cruises for December being cancelled and one comment mentioned that challenging times were mentioned by Fred.  Since there were less than 500 passengers on Bolette to Spain in the last couple of weeks, I suggest the challenge is the lack of profits as we were told by senior staff on a summer cruise which had a similar number of passengers, that the ship was not making any money at that stage.   We have also been told on a Fred ship recently that cruise ships can currently sail with about 70% occupancy, (about 900 passengers for the ex HAL ships) at present, due to social distancing protocols.

I do not know yet when Balmoral is now due to sail, but is clearly.not until some time next year.

On the Fred website, first Balmoral cruise now 13th March, which is a two-day cruise to nowhere. Followed on 15th by a Norwegian Fjords itinerary.

• Thanks 1

Apart from the obvious financial advantage of not starting the Balmoral cruises yet, we understand Balmoral is still being used for quarantine of new staff.  They have their first covid jab in Rosyth, then have their second (I think after three or four weeks) in Liverpool, and I presume Dover, once they commence their duties on a ship. 

Although Fred is now letting staff go ashore, they cannot do so until a full two weeks after they have their second jab.

• Like 1

Letting staff ashore will make little differ ence now passengers are going ashore alone.

Have just found out that the cruise we were on D2118 Islands of Britain which departed 29 August had covid cases on board. We were never t old, at least when SAGA had a pr oblem they told the paying pass engers and explained what was being done to help them and keep others safe. Bad show when you are kept in the dark. Olsen is definately off my sailing list now, they can't be trusted.

2 hours ago, Pentlands said:

Letting staff ashore will make little differ ence now passengers are going ashore alone.

Have just found out that the cruise we were on D2118 Islands of Britain which departed 29 August had covid cases on board. We were never t old, at least when SAGA had a pr oblem they told the paying pass engers and explained what was being done to help them and keep others safe. Bad show when you are kept in the dark. Olsen is definately off my sailing list now, they can't be trusted.

How did you find out about the covid cases onboard 2 months ago, is it a reliable / official source?

On our Celebrity cruise there was one case and the Captain came on to tell everyone and what they had done to contain it. Like you I would prefer to know what is happening.

Talking to a friend who was onboard and he named the people who live near to him. So yes it is fact, but not from the lips of Olsen, they did not tell us anything.

He also said that waiters from the table he was on and the table the people who caught covid was on dissapeared. They asked where their waiters were and were  told 'resting'. I know what he now surmises about where they were.

Edited by Pentlands

No idea, but suspect quarantined. No idea when it wasa discovered, we had a test more than half way through the cruise, guess that must have been when it was picked up. But I was told they were looking as though they had a very bad cold when some group photos were taken. Have asken on FB what FO's policy is  to tell or not to tell the passengers, but I think their silence tells it all. They do not want to tell passengers and do not want to tell them that they won't tell you. Very naughty.

• Thanks 1