Traveling without one parent. Any documents required?

Tapi

Hi!

We are a family of 4, booked on a cruise in February (Mexico from Los Angeles) and it seems like my wife will not be able to join us due to work obligations.

My question is, will I be required to bring a notarized form from her in order to travel since she won’t be joining us? I’ve read of other instances when a notarized form from the non-traveling parent is required (for example, divorced parents where the children have a different last name, etc) but I don’t know if it would be required in our scenario. I’ve emailed the cruise line but I haven’t received a response yet. 

Thanks for any feedback! 

Yes, absolutely bring a notarized letter from your wife, along with the children's birth certificates to prove she is the other parent.  Many people will tell you not to bother because they weren't asked for it.  The problem with that is, you never know when you're going to get an official who is concerned about non-custodial kidnapping.  Even if the cruise line doesn't require it (though I believe they all do), you still have immigration to deal with and they don't care what you were told by the cruise line.  If you were planning not to cruise with passports for the children, you also need to make sure that's ok on your cruise line.  Princess at least was requiring that kids cruising with only one parent must have passports, not just the usual certified birth certificates usually required for closed-loop cruises.   Have fun - cruising is a great way to travel alone with kids.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2021 at 4:13 PM, Kerry's Girls said:

absolutely bring a notarized letter from your wife, along with the children's birth certificates to prove she is the other parent. 

what if there is no other parent? At all.

Why does anyone need to prove that there IS another parent in the picture?

Here is what it says in the RCI's guest booklet:

Family Legal Documents
Should the last names of the parent sailing with their minor child differ, the parent is required to present the child’s valid passport book and visa (if required) and the child’s birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation. Adults who are not the parent or legal guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child’s valid passport and visa (if required) or the child’s birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child’s parents, along with a copy of same to be collected at the time of check-in formalities. The notarized letter from the child’s parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a legal guardian, the adult must present a certified Certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

Notice how it says "parent(s)".

If you bring passports and they are not recalled by the other parent in an effort to thwart a kidnapping - you will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2021 at 10:42 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

what if there is no other parent? At all.

Why does anyone need to prove that there IS another parent in the picture?

Not sure I understand your confusion.  If there's only one parent, that's what the birth certificate indicates and that's what you show.    Lots of us only have one parent in the family but we understand that no one wants a non-custodial parent to be able to leave the country with the kids.  It's a shame they're not more consistent with requiring documents.

Edited by Kerry's Girls

On 10/22/2021 at 10:42 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

If you bring passports and they are not recalled by the other parent in an effort to thwart a kidnapping - you will be fine.

That is not how it works. Anyone relying on this inaccurate information could be put in a terrible situation - trip insurance does not cover lack of proper identification.

• 4 weeks later...

Research the requirements for where you are going.  My husband is not able to travel with us and he is the biological parent of our daughter.  Argentina is incredibly strict on Hague Convention requirements.  I need an apostille birth certificate, a notarized consent to travel letter, have the notary verified by the circuit court, take the clerk of court verification to the Secretary of State of our state of residence to have an apostille issues for the content to travel letter.  Those documents must them also all be translated in Spanish.  That is just for entry to country, the cruise line may or may not ask for their own consent to travel with minor, typically it is for when both parents aren't sailing but given we are traveling over 24 hours for this cruise, I'd rather have my husband sign it and bring it with me than be stuck at the port without a requested document.