Canadians Cruising Vaccine etc Update article

CruisinFinsUp

30 minutes ago, cruisintoddler said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/vaccinated-travel-canada-1.6203527

New news article with current info re mixed vaccines & international travel, and insurance info for Canadians.   

If we were the couple in the article who own a condo in FL, we would have found a way to get a second Pfizer shot by now and not be left hanging wondering about travel down.  Actually, this whole international travel issue is exactly why we made sure we had two Pfizers and no mixed doses after our first shot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

If we were the couple in the article who own a condo in FL, we would have found a way to get a second Pfizer shot by now and not be left hanging wondering about travel down.  Actually, this whole international travel issue is exactly why we made sure we had two Pfizers and no mixed doses after our first shot.

I almost let the hype convince me to get AstraZeneca but then they were getting close to my age group for Pfizer and Moderna and I decided to wait. I wasn’t so thrilled with the 60% efficacy rate they were talking about with AstraZeneca. And that turned out to be lucky because I’d be in a pickle had I ended up with the mixed vaccines.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, for our age group, under 55's, in our town, AZ was the only forseeable option at the time that we took it.  They said mRna was not going to be available for us for a long while.  At the time, that is what we were told.  Based on that, we decided we couldn't wait indefinitely due to having to support high risk family members, so we got AZ.    Things changed a few weeks later ... Hindsight ... but that was a few weeks we could help my elderly parents with a little less worry. 

We got Moderna second.  I've read that some studies are showing mixing vector and mRna now has us better protected than some others, which is great if it is true.  But we can't travel.  Hubby has cancelled work conferences in the US and it is now affecting his business.    

Governments have to get together and figure this out.  Today I read here something about travellers to France need a special French vaccine passport. 
Boosters are simply not available in Ontario currently. There is no "finding a way" here unfortunately.  

The lack of full travel insurance options adds more fuel to the fire.  
Until all this is worked out, I don't see any way for Canadians to travel without taking on a lot of personal risk.   Its frustrating.   

Edited by cruisintoddler
  • Like 1

Yes, the Canadian “government” warns against International travel but that didn’t stop government officials from traveling to the U.K. and Europe.  Do as I say, not as I do.  We are fortunate to have had 2 doses of the same vaccine but I really feel for the people who followed the advise to take the first shot available.  The recommendations have changed far too often for people to have faith in what we’re told.

• Like 2

we have booked and canceled a number of times as we had mixed shots... had AZ as a first dose and have since had 2 doses of Pfizer, I want to make sure the initial does of AZ is not going to void our options, anyone have any insight?  Technically we are now 2x Pfizer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jasper101! said:

we have booked and canceled a number of times as we had mixed shots... had AZ as a first dose and have since had 2 doses of Pfizer, I want to make sure the initial does of AZ is not going to void our options, anyone have any insight?  Technically we are now 2x Pfizer.

What cruiseline are you cruising on?

Others have posted on here that some cruiselines have changed the wording on their guidelines to indicate that AZ/Pfizer/Pfizer is fine.

On 10/8/2021 at 7:16 PM, Senga said:

Yes, the Canadian “government” warns against International travel but that didn’t stop government officials from traveling to the U.K. and Europe.  Do as I say, not as I do.

The travel advisory is  to "Avoid non-essential travel outside Canada until further notice", not to avoid all travel. Business travel, including government officials' multilateral discussions with Canada's European allies, need not cease.  

• Like 3

My partner was planning to get a second dose of AZ but when we tried to book the appointment for the second shot the web site stated that there were no locations where AZ was available. So he chose Pfizer. That was fine until we heard more reports of the mixed vaccinations not being accepted by the US. He went back and got to Pfizer last week. I wish the governments had made an effort to work this out long time ago.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CalgaryMac said:

My partner was planning to get a second dose of AZ but when we tried to book the appointment for the second shot the web site stated that there were no locations where AZ was available. So he chose Pfizer. That was fine until we heard more reports of the mixed vaccinations not being accepted by the US. He went back and got to Pfizer last week. I wish the governments had made an effort to work this out long time ago.

It's been said here many times but bears repeating: the Canadian government's absolute priority in extending the time between doses and then allowing the mixing of doses was to reduce cases, free up critical hospital space and to save lives.

The Canadian government, and now a number of others that also adopted these life-saving approaches, have been attempting to convince the US for many months to accept the mounting evidence of the efficacy of mixed doses. But, being the self-appointed centre of the universe and leader of the free world, our southern neighbours have to date chosen not to accept the scientific evidence. 

• Like 5

I am not unhappy that spouse and I received AZ and Pfizer mix. I feel that we protected our health and helped others to get needed shots. I stiĺl feel that and although there is frustration that the CDC is not paying attention to others, and that Doug Ford is ignoring many of his electorate, I probably would do the same thing if it helped others get shots. However, if I could travel, especially if I could get on cruise ship in the  USA, I would be ecstatic!

2 hours ago, Chilcotin said:

From our local Global newscast last week:

87A54296-D7DC-41D8-B4CB-2F4F11C3DE15.jpeg

Yep.

As a teacher that is why I was happy with getting a mix.

I'm in a study right now about Covid and teachers.

I get to see my antibody results when the study is over.

I'm eager to see the results.

7 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The travel advisory is  to "Avoid non-essential travel outside Canada until further notice", not to avoid all travel. Business travel, including government officials' multilateral discussions with Canada's European allies, need not cease.  

Non-essential covers a multitude of sins.  Numerous businesses were expected to handle business via Zoom calls so the Government could easily have followed their own advice.  Again, do as I say, not what I do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Senga said:

Non-essential covers a multitude of sins.  Numerous businesses were expected to handle business via Zoom calls so the Government could easily have followed their own advice.  Again, do as I say, not what I do.

LOL. It's seems that you've not participated in multinational discussions and international relations,. But that's ok, the nice thing about a democracy is you can criticize the government, even when not justified. 😇

• Like 1

As of October 31/21.  if someone had to travel from YYZ to LHR, will a covid test be required by the Canadian government to board the plane to  the UK?

————————

I understand they are both fully vaccinated with Pfizer. Will be required to fill in locator form, appointment for day 2 in UK covid test 

do not need to quarantine. 
and will need the PCR test before flight to return to Canada. 

are these requirements accurate at this time?

• Like 1

Canadian government does not require covid tests for people leaving the country. No idea what the UK requires.

Recent rule changes require passengers to be fully vaccinated on all flights departing CAN airports as of the end of October. https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2021/10/mandatory-covid-19-vaccination-requirements-for-federally-regulated-transportation-employees-and-travellers.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, broberts said:

Canadian government does not require covid tests for people leaving the country. No idea what the UK requires.

Recent rule changes require passengers to be fully vaccinated on all flights departing CAN airports as of the end of October. https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2021/10/mandatory-covid-19-vaccination-requirements-for-federally-regulated-transportation-employees-and-travellers.html

I am flying to Fort Lauderdale November 11th to board the Silhouette the next day. I have 2 doses of the AZ vaccine therefore considered fully vaccinated. If the new policy comes into effect later in November am I still permitted to enter the US. Flying out of YYZ. I find this confusing. Hopefully its in force effective November 1.

3 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I am flying to Fort Lauderdale November 11th to board the Silhouette the next day. I have 2 doses of the AZ vaccine therefore considered fully vaccinated. If the new policy comes into effect later in November am I still permitted to enter the US. Flying out of YYZ. I find this confusing. Hopefully its in force effective November 1.

If I'm understanding your question correctly, yes, you will be able to fly.

As of October 30, you must be fully vaccinated to fly out of any Canadian airport, whether it's a domestic or international flight. That's a GOC ruling.

The current requirement for an antigen test for a flight to the US is a US requirement and will not change in November.

The change in November will be that the US will require you to be vaccinated to fly in. But this will already be a GOC requirement as of October 30, so it really won't make any difference to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dog said:

US is opening Canada-US land borders  to the fully vaccinated in November more information to come 

They have announced that those double dosed with AstraZeneca are included, but no information yet on mixed vaccinations.

On 10/8/2021 at 8:16 PM, Senga said:

Yes, the Canadian “government” warns against International travel but that didn’t stop government officials from traveling to the U.K. and Europe.  Do as I say, not as I do.  We are fortunate to have had 2 doses of the same vaccine but I really feel for the people who followed the advise to take the first shot available.  The recommendations have changed far too often for people to have faith in what we’re told.

We followed the advice and had to cancel 2 cruises because of it. We eventually decided to book a VRBO place for 5 weeks in Florida instead of cruising this fall. Eventually we figured out a way to get a second mRNA on top of the mixed doses but we sticking to our plans to hang in Florida. Its cheaper, we get 5 weeks away and our only concern about getting into the US is an antigen test. We have our fingers crossed that by the time of our return the need for a PCR test to enter Canada will be gone.

The NIH is reporting on mixed dosing in the US sometime this week.   It will probably have a big impact on whether mixed vaccines will be accepted entering the US.  

The announcement could come as early as today!

3 hours ago, tert333 said:

The NIH is reporting on mixed dosing in the US sometime this week.   It will probably have a big impact on whether mixed vaccines will be accepted entering the US.  

The announcement could come as early as today!

🤞🤞🤞🤞