Canadians Cruising Vaccine etc Update article

CruisinFinsUp

J&J shot recipients better off getting Pfizer or Moderna booster, NIH study suggests

Above is a headline from CNBC.  The NIH in the us it is better to get a mRNA booster if the first shot is a j&j.  That should add more fuel for the argument of mixed vaccines!!!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tert333 said:

J&J shot recipients better off getting Pfizer or Moderna booster, NIH study suggests

Above is a headline from CNBC.  The NIH in the us it is better to get a mRNA booster if the first shot is a j&j.  That should add more fuel for the argument of mixed vaccines!!!

Here is the link:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/mix-match-covid-vaccine-boosters-are-effective-nih-study-finds-rcna2974

• Like 1

I was looking at the Celebrity FAQs this afternoon to see current wording in vaccines.  I had thought it clearly stated no mixed AZ/mRNA from US ports but I’m not seeing that here.  Am I mis-remembering ?  

——-  

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has clarified their position regarding mixed vaccinations and provided Celebrity Cruises with updated guidance. For sailings departing from the US, the CDC will now recognize a mixed combination of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines (Pfizer/Moderna) as fully vaccinated.

If a guest has already received two mRNA vaccines in mixed series at a minimum interval of 28 days, the CDC will consider that individual to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

Guests who received the Janssen (aka Johnson & Johnson) vaccine before or after another COVID-19 vaccine should be considered to have received a valid, single-dose Janssen vaccination—not a mixed vaccination series—and are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

To be recognized as fully vaccinated, guests 12 years of age and older, must complete a vaccine series with the last dose administered at least 14 days prior to sailing.

Only US Guests will be permitted to sail on Celebrity Apex from Barcelona and as such must follow all vaccination requirements for sailings entering/departing the US.

Guests sailing on Celebrity Silhouette from Southampton, Celebrity Apex sailing from Athens, or Celebrity Flora, Xploration and Xpedition in the Galapagos, may have mixed doses as follows:

AstraZeneca, with the AstraZeneca dose being administered first, followed at least 42 days later, by either the Pfizer or Moderna dose

One dose of Pfizer or Moderna followed at least four weeks later by a second dose of Pfizer or Modern

Some ports of call may not accept mixed vaccines and therefore could prevent guests with mixed vaccines from going ashore. 

What you thought is consistent with what you have quoted from the website. While mRNA-mRNA mixes are now permitted for US sailings,  AZ-mRNA mixes are still limited to sailing from Southampton, Athens and to the Galapagos:

Guests sailing on Celebrity Silhouette from Southampton, Celebrity Apex sailing from Athens, or Celebrity Flora, Xploration and Xpedition in the Galapagos, may have mixed doses as follows:

AstraZeneca, with the AstraZeneca dose being administered first, followed at least 42 days later, by either the Pfizer or Moderna dose

One dose of Pfizer or Moderna followed at least four weeks later by a second dose of Pfizer or Modern

Just a question…..a person can fly to the UK with a mixed vaccine, AZ/Pfizer for example….get on a Celebrity ship because they accept mixed vaccines….but what happens when the ship ends in a US port where mixed vaccines aren’t allowed?  Worst of all, a Covid test is administered and turns out to be positive?  

18 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Just a question…..a person can fly to the UK with a mixed vaccine, AZ/Pfizer for example….get on a Celebrity ship because they accept mixed vaccines….but what happens when the ship ends in a US port where mixed vaccines aren’t allowed?  Worst of all, a Covid test is administered and turns out to be positive?  

Celebrity currently has no TA cruises this year from the UK. The only TA this year is from Barcelona, it will be open to US passengers only, and it will be governed by the same vaccine requirements as a cruise out of the US. 

If a passenger comes down with COVID mid-cruise, my guess would be that if they are in reasonable range of a port, they would follow the same approach as other cruises and transfer the passenger ashore. But if it was mid-Atlantic, I imagine that there are protocols that would isolate the passenger on board. I don't think that Celebrity has discussed that specific scenario on its website.

24 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Celebrity currently has no TA cruises this year from the UK. The only TA this year is from Barcelona, it will be open to US passengers only, and it will be governed by the same vaccine requirements as a cruise out of the US. 

If a passenger comes down with COVID mid-cruise, my guess would be that if they are in reasonable range of a port, they would follow the same approach as other cruises and transfer the passenger ashore. But if it was mid-Atlantic, I imagine that there are protocols that would isolate the passenger on board. I don't think that Celebrity has discussed that specific scenario on its website.

I wonder if that's the reason why the 11 night TA from Southampton to FLL on November 1, Silhouette was cancelled.  Perhaps nothing to do with quarantine at all.

16 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I wonder if that's the reason why the 11 night TA from Southampton to FLL on November 1, Silhouette was cancelled.  Perhaps nothing to do with quarantine at all.

I suspect that it was a mix of issues, entry requirements into the UK at one end, entry requirements into the US at the other, and who knows what else. 

• Like 1

Okay..how about getting on a Carnival ship in Southampton. They do have a TA to Miami in Nov. 2022.  An unvaccinated (their definition) person can board the ship and pay exorbitant prices for Covid tests along the way.  In today’s rules, what happens in Miami to the unvaccinated?  I’m hoping the rules change of course,  but if they don’t ? Or will non-US citizens with the mixed AZ/mRNA vaccines be banned from taking the cruise?

13 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Okay..how about getting on a Carnival ship in Southampton. They do have a TA to Miami in Nov. 2022.  An unvaccinated (their definition) person can board the ship and pay exorbitant prices for Covid tests along the way.  In today’s rules, what happens in Miami to the unvaccinated?  I’m hoping the rules change of course,  but if they don’t ? Or will non-US citizens with the mixed AZ/mRNA vaccines be banned from taking the cruise?

Cunard does a lot of transatlantics with the first one being in January (I think).

I would be following what they do in terms of TA.

They are owned by Carnival and will obviously have alot of U.K. passengers who may also have mixed dose.

32 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

Cunard does a lot of transatlantics with the first one being in January (I think).

I would be following what they do in terms of TA.

They are owned by Carnival and will obviously have alot of U.K. passengers who may also have mixed dose.

Good idea!  I will do that for sure!   They should be setting up the rules already if there are January sailings. They’re probably waiting for the same decisions that we’re waiting for.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

Carnival's rules will  change as soon as the US makes official the new entry requirements effective some time next month. Today, no one needs to be vaccinated to enter the US, you only have to have a negative test, a requirement that Carnival's current rules meet. But when mandatory proof of vaccination kicks in next month, Carnival will no longer be able to sail to the US with unvaccinated passengers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...